Meditation / Yoga

We have been practising the movements for Salute to the Sun ready for summer solstice day on 21 June. That day is one of my grandaughter’s birthdays, she’ll be nine and wants to do it with me, the others chimed in and they want to join us. So, weather permitting, after they come out of school there will be six of us saluting the sun in our back garden - how wonderful! I will get my husband to take a picture, and post it, it should be hilarious with the two year old’s attempts.

LOL

How many birthdays a year does she have ?

Or did ya mean " that is the birthday of one of my Grandaughters " ? … LOLOL

http://i53.tinypic.com/33lcec5.gif

I`m looking forward to seeing the pics Maryl :smiley:

How wonderful, Mary… I hope the weather is good and your husband can get a photo.:smiley:

Had a thought after I posted that, it would not be right to post pics of kiddies on the net would it?

Topaz - stop picking!

Look forward to seeing the pics. You have now made me feel really lazy and that I should be doing something. Have done meditation classes in the past so must find a good class.

I just go to the local council’s adult education classes and pay half price because I’m on benefits. Could never afford private lessons.

I have found meditation (mindfulness) very helpful - it enables you to gain some control over your mind (which otherwise buzzes incessentantly with thoughts). It helps you be present in the current moment rather than mulling over the past or worrying about the future and enables you to experience peace and calm. Some forms of yoga (eg hatha yoga) are really just another form of meditation.

I would love to try some meditation - if you get two mins please post some tips in a new thread :slight_smile:

Probably not the same thing at all but I used Liquid Mind ( Chuck Wild ) CD’s as a relaxation aid during and after my treatment and in fact still do as whatever else they do they sure can help with sleep deprivation.

Our group has found also them useful in being able to handle associated problems like Tinnitus.

Tried it donkeys years ago, when the beatles were all Indian,I couldnt do it as like you I couldnt empty my mind.

Oh yes I would love to do Chi ? It looked wonderful in Calender Girls.

That is the easy bit for me Annie as there is not a lot in it to start with.
My trouble is retaining all the stuff we are supposed to know about especially, the location of the vacuum cleaner, washing up equipment and these polishing and duster things that I get earache about…:confused:

He he Hammer, any old excuse to get out of the chores.
I think I did better at ‘emptying my mind’/meditation whatever you want to call it this morning at the yoga class. The teacher advised us not to block out all the thoughts that come tumbling into our minds otherwise they will just keep on coming back. To acknowledge them, let them sit with you for a few seconds then say goodbye, watch them go. I arrived very stressed out, (thanks to my cruel adult daughter) and it did work for a few minutes, enough to let me relax and breathe properly.
This time next week I will be Saluting the Sun in my back garden, hopefully with five little kiddies. That is if I can get all the poses in the right order.

I posted this back in May and I’ve gone and done the same thing again, I didn’t learn my lesson!
We broke up from yoga in June for the summer hols and returned this morning. Creak, creak I felt as if I was going to snap in half! The others were all the same, none of us had done a bit of yoga for two months. At the end of the lesson we felt supple and full of energy. Now to get my mind motivated to practice at home.

there are some lovely meditation discs on the market these days, my favourite at the moment is a budhist chant, also use the flutes of raymund red feather , he came and played for us at a pagan festival , amazing guy , he makes all his flutes,a russian authodox male choir,picked up in Russia, dosn’t have the power of when they sung in the little church, but still pretty good, and harry james I love his trumpet

never done yoga, used to do thi chi, now bones hurt to much for most movment

There isn’t enough WD40 in the world to keep my (metal) joints oiled and supple to allow me to do Tai Chi !!!

Nice posting.
I think yoga is the best health exercise.
I have to say that it is very useful tool to
get your self fit and fine. It is very helpful to
reduce the weight.Yoga improve the mood and
the subjective well being.

I so agree Charlie 15. Just returned from this morning’s yoga session (for the over 50s so nice and gentle). At the end of the lesson when we thanked our tutor I let out a big sigh. I felt absolutely at peace, was smiling to myself and my body feels tuned and supple. I think of this as a gift to myself, I will always carry on with this as long as I am able to, wish I’d started it years ago.

I do one hour of Buddist meditation (focusing attention on the breath) every day. Some days I do more. I’ve been doing this for about two months, I think.
I’m not a grouchy old fart anymore. I’m not depressed anymore. I’m just basically happier than I used to be.

Yes I do a half an hour of yoga every morning.
It’s like oil for the joints and heaven for the mind.
My yoga has 13 series to it so there’s a new routine every morning and it never gets boring. It’s from Namaste ; A popular yoga tv series.