Meddling with our food

Hi

This should be fun, and yes it is a long read but it will affect us all

BBC News - Brexit paves the way for gene-edited crops

I am not happy about GM foods which can have animal DNA put into plants.

Editing the genes of plants I am comfortable with

2 Likes

I think this is horrific, quite honestly. What tests (if any) have been done on humans in this regard? If we eat GM meat, and GM plant foodstuffs
what does it to to us and our digestive systems & bodies? Are we going to become GM by default? :scream: And then have to take more medication to counteract those effects? Bleugh, no ta.

2 Likes

Hi

This is the point.

I am not happy about GM foods and I do not trust the manufacturers.

I believe that there is a place for Genetic Modification in medicine, it could potentially allow far more types of transplants for currently untreatable conditions. It is not as much of a problem as if they get into the food chain.

Gene editing is different, species are not being mixed

1 Like

If they are going to do it - then it must - MUST - be properly labelled so we have the choice of not buying/eating it !

2 Likes

My apologies Swimmy, its early and I misread your post, despite me reading the link :roll_eyes:

Gene Edited crops would possibly be ok
if it helped them withstand the changes in weather, and not be susceptible to disease. This would allow more to be grown = feed the growing population. Taking something out is different to adding something in. GM is a whole different ball game :018:

Hi

Well yes, that must be done so l can try it.

I would like to grow some in my veg plot.

Hi

I totally agree.

I don’t fancy glow in the dark veg and yes they have already done that in the lab

2 Likes

You are a braver man than I, Gunga Din!

Although I appreciate the difference between GE and GM I still prefer my food unmessed about with - and, just a thought, if we let ‘them’ foist GE on us - how long before GM arrives?

3 Likes

Hi

That is a big part of the question ST.

We genetically modify fruit and veg already, just not in a lab.

That is how we get new varieties of tomato for example, and we all set them.

The nurserymen have been doing this for centuries, it is done by trial and error and takes years.

Now we can analyse the DNA of plants and decide which bits we want

I don’t want the rules relaxed. I would prefer very strict rules governing the use of Genetic Modification.
I can see some advantage in GM crops but I can’t help feeling that the possibility of future unintended consequences, for example possible loss of biodiversity and cross-pollination with closely related plants/weeds is a big risk to pass on to future generations.

I hoped that leaving the EU would enable UK to be stricter on animal welfare in agriculture, not laxer. We were promised Brexit would enable to UK to tighten up welfare in agriculture - I didn’t believe it then and when I hear Truss promising “less state regulation” it makes me shudder - we all know that profit rules over ethics if it is left to the corporate sector to police their own interests. :frowning:

1 Like

Well there’s a recipe for disaster if I ever heard one.

And our government wanting to remove the EU safeguards and just let them rip.

Another Brexit no no

Gene edited animals, really?

And it’s not just the danger of eating them. Of course they should be labelled but they probably won’t be. Brexit means we don’t have to follow the regulations on labelling either, doesn’t it?

There’s also the danger of growing these mutant crops all over our country and what that might di to our insect life and bio-diversity

Shameful that because of Brexit our country is being used as a testing ground with no safeguards

Two more words on the subject and then I am done 

Soylent Green !!

1 Like

They’ll definitely be telling us that eating each is the environmentally friendly thing to do soon

And that the food shortages that mean we need to have absolutely nothing to do with Brexit :rofl:

I had to look that up as I didn’t know what it was. Made in 1973, went up to 2022
eerie! :scream:

1 Like

Hi

I knew this would be very controversial but I am convinced it is a conversation that must be had.

I am having my scientist hat on.

I can understand people being very worried and I am, but only in part.

Genetic Modification is very different to Genetic Editing.

We have been using Genetic Editing as I have said for hundreds of years, we graft fruit trees all the time and nobody panics.

Genetic Modification is totally different and a huge problem with it is that many of the crops are sterile so seeds cannot be saved and the manufacturers can patent the plants and charge what they want

2 Likes

Oh this just hit me in the stomach
I have tried growing plants from the seeds of food that I eat, whether its peppers or prunes, tomatoes or tangerines

NONE of them grow, Swimmy
:scream:

1 Like

Agroecology and the threat of gene editing.

This is scary stuff.
I wouldn’t want to, or couldn’t eat GM food.

Are aliens, or robots now in charge of what we eat, as surely this sort of stuff could not be passed as suitable for human consumption?

We’ve been mutating and adapting foodstuffs for ages. Trouble is that this has been carried out at a rate faster than our bodies can evolve as a species, which explains a whole load of medical problems.

Naturally I’ll mention that increase in food production is only required due to population growth.

Hi

That is so true Dextrous.

It is all down to overpopulation and it is getting worse, not better.

Food production is having to become more intensive

1 Like