Meddling with our food

Most of the world’s ills are down to overpopulation, but this is perhaps a topic for another thread in the future.

Sterile seeds will then go on to naturally sterile animals, and finally, sterile human beings.
I believe they are practicing on seeds first.

Here is a bit I found for starters:

" “We’ve uncovered dozens of patents that disclose new and more insidious techniques for genetic sterilization of plants and seeds - and even animals,” says Edward Hammond of RAFI.
"Novartis, AstraZeneca, and Monsanto are among the Gene Giants who have sterile seeds in the pipeline, while others like Pioneer Hi-Bred, Rhone Poulenc, and DuPont have technologies that could easily be turned into Terminators."
The primary goal of several of the the newly patented techniques is to sterilize seed so that farmers cannot save and re-plant seed.

A number of the patents use benign-sounding technical terms such as “controlled gene expression” linked to “inducible promoters” to describe their sterilization techniques. Other patents describe “killer genes” that destroy pollen, or “GRIM proteins” that do the same to invertebrates or even mammalian cells. A patent owned by Astra/Zeneca candidly admits that their sterilization processes "are not desirable per se."

Sterile Seeds: Why Worry? “These technologies are extremely dangerous,” explains RAFI’s Mooney, “because over 1.4 billion farmers - primarily poor farmers in Africa, Asia and Latin America - depend on farm-saved seed as their primary seed source. If they can’t save seed, they can’t continue to adapt crops to their unique farming environments, and that spells disaster for global food security.”

“Genetic seed sterility is not about improving the productivity or quality of crops, it’s a quest to increase seed industry profits,” adds Mooney, “First and foremost, these technologies are intended to force farmers to buy seed every season and to take still more crop production control away from farmers.”

4 Likes

This is exactly one of the reasons I was so against Brexs :poop:

Also why I can’t stand the tories - if they had their way all protections would be abolished in order for them and their cronies to make even more money :icon_mad:

Hi

The issue is that the Brexiter Politicians have not just not delivered on their promises they are now starting to do exactly the opposite of what they promised.

As long as these genetically modified crops are labelled as such I shall avoid them.

1 Like

Ah, but what if Gene Edited, and GM foods aren’t labelled though? If the push is to create more of this “food”, they won’t want us to have the choice, will they? :thinking:

1 Like

If as you say what if modified goods aren’t labelled as such.
I would of thought as nature intended unmodified foods will be labelled as it will command a premium price . Much the same as organic foods.

2 Likes

Good point, Ripple.

1 Like

Hi

Organic Foods are a bit of a con.

You have to be registered with the Soil Association and that is too expensive for small growers.

A much cheaper option is Slow Food, favourite of many small growers.

Not heard of that one, Swimmy.

Hi

https://www.slowfood.org.uk/

1 Like

What an interesting website - thank you, Swimmy.

So today I received two punnets of blueberries. One organic, one non-organic.

Note the sizes of them - the larger ones are like grapes! :scream:

1 Like

Are the bigger ones non-organic? Are they on steroids or something? :lol:

1 Like

Yes, the larger ones are non-organic…But they are massive. I’d like to think they are packed with more nutrition, but somehow I don’t imagine so. Packed with something anyway :roll_eyes:

1 Like