Manual (stick shift)or Automatic transmission

That sounds like a very stressful experience! I think if you learn manual before automatic, you never forget.
Perhaps, take lessons in a less stressful situation!

As we get older, automatic transmission is much easier.

Iā€™ve driven automatics for years, I could never see the point of changing gears if you donā€™t have to and your workload in traffic is reduced dramatically, giving much more time to concentrate on where you are goingā€¦ :wink:

I agree that automatic is way easier in traffic. Iā€™m glad I learned how to drive both transmission though.

I live in rural devon,driving is a challenge,gear shifts and all.:smiley:

I have driven manuals since I passed my test back in 1980, as has mrs p, I have driven an auto though, many years ago, and I would happily switch to an auto now, but Mrs,p will have none of it, though, if we switch to an EV, then they are all autos, of a sort, so weā€™d have to adaptā€¦

I hope all you auto drivers practice left foot brakingā€¦

( donā€™s tin hat and retreats to shelter:lol:) ā€¦

How does a horse and cart sound like to you then? Or is it no longer permitted in your district?

Live a little - make the switch! :slight_smile:

I have driven many cars both manual and auto , each has its plus and minus sides
Auto = saves worrying about which gear to use so easier to drive, heavier on fuel and changing down a gear can be a bind if wanting to stay in first for example

Manual = Better control of gears so one can slow down a car by just correct gear solection also more economical on fuel.

It all depends on where your driving in town or motorways.
Try driving an auto on a slippery grass slope with an auto :frowning:

I am just as happy using either manual or auto , more important is what you are driving

FWIW, I have driven both, mostly larger models. A couple of points for manual models. These days, mine were six-speed. This means significantly improved economy. Especially on longer stints. And, as a manual, I often shifted without the gear pedal. Just got used to seamless shifts.

I remember my driving instructor showing me how to do that by matching engine with gearbox . mainly relying on engine note. Not so easy with modern cars as they are so quiet

Yes, I agree that what youā€™re driving is most important. Donā€™t you think automatic transmission cars have made great strides in fuel efficiency and better handling in recent years?

Iā€™ve never had to drive in anything but rainy conditions and no grassy slopes for me. Although, I have driven a 4x4 in Dakar race conditions. Just not a race but similar sandy conditions. The 4x4 was automatic and fared extremely well in those conditions.

No more manual gearbox for me!

Although itā€™s nice to have a combo, do a kick down or have the ability to shove it into a lower gear for quick acceleration.

My car has 7 forward gears, I wouldnā€™t want to have to go through all those manually.

Pulley-based CVT
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/GearBoxRotRotVar.gif Wiki

depend on the fuel used petrol or diesel engine. I owned a Ford explorer petrol 4x4 auto and it was difficult to tell the difference between the fuel guage and the speedometer and that was a 4 ltr engine

Also owned at different time 3 or 4 Toyota Amazon 4.2 .tr Diesel engines

Car engines are built in such a way to be able to work in different climates hot or cold. Therefore they have a wide tolerance to cope with both. To be more economical and efficient they need to be recalibrated to work in a more constant climto askate. that is just with the basic factory engine. of course an engine can be modified to perform better like fitting in high lift cams better turbo etc

As for gearboxes auto or manual they have to be built to withstand the strain put on them in. Yes you could have the gears altered but the cost would outweigh the gain

Any engine/gearbox modification could invalidate the insurance anyway

efficiency depends on car weight amonst other things.
A 1.6 lte engine in my Nissan Xtrail Tekna does a lot less than my wifeā€™s Honda Civic estate with the same engine size.

Ok, I see your point. I agree regarding fuel efficiency. Weight does play a part together with terrain and city versus freeway driving.:023:

Gotta watch the potholes donā€™t make them lame.

Well, what can one say to that! :102:

neeeeeigh

Yes, better with the CVTā€¦I suppose.

I had an auto VW Golf back in the 90s ā€¦ terribly jerky a lot of the time.

With CVT youā€™re never really aware of any change, itā€™s so smooth.