Manual (stick shift)or Automatic transmission

Do you prefer driving a Manual or an automatic transmission vehicle?

1 Like

I’ve never owned an auto,its one to maybe look for if I swap again,I’m 63 nowand have a two yr old car,can’t see the need to change again.

1 Like

I have been driving an automatic car since 1977,
…not the same one though…:slight_smile:

I tried to learn to drive in a manual car, my co-ordination is rubbish, passed my test first time in an automatic. They’re so easy to drive. Much better to concentrate on other things than gears.

You must all live elsewhere yoh cant take your driving test in the uk in a automatic care .

Either.
I don’t have to concentrate on gear changes it becomes a natural part of driving.

I took my driver’s test with a manual transmission. I drove manual transmission most of my adult life and changed recently to Automatic transmission.

I don’t know why I didn’t switch sooner!

Yes you can but you are then only licenced to drive automatics.

Yes, it is the same way for me, comfortable with both but for city driving with peak traffic, automatic transmission is a blessing.

Oh yes you can! Mine was adapted too! :wink:
I can only drive an automatic though.

My sister also struggled with the same challenge.

That’s excellent!

If you’re not driving much and not in peak city traffic, there’s no point in changing.

my feelings exactly.

My middle son took his driving test in an auto so he wasn’t allowed to drive a manual for a year after getting his full licence. He lost his licence for three months for disobeying this regulation.

Life is so much easier now! Driving does not feel like a chore anymore

Wow, very strict regulations! So are you driving him around for three months.

hi

I have been driving an Auto since a leg injury in 1989.

My current car has a dual clutch gearbox , full auto or change gear without using a clutch.

I hope your injury was not too serious. My car is also the same. DSG I think it’s called.

Went automatic (with hand controls) so Mrs mart could keep driving. I’d always prefer to drive an automatic now.

I too have had autos for decades and wouldn’t know how to drive a manual. Tried several at a car show at London Excel some years ago, an MX5 and RS8 (the Mazda challenge). Of course I stalled near the finish line with cars coming up to my arse and the instructor shouting at me to get going!!

I reckon it’ll be the first and last time I’ll get to be in the driving seat of the MX5, a car I’d love to own.