Manage Your Gas & Electricity Price Increases?

My skin is allergic to bio detergents otherwise we would use them too even though there are some people that think bio detergent residues are bad for the environment and water courses.

2 Likes

I use none bio powder because I’m sensitive to the bio.

1 Like

hmmmm I’m with Ovo energy and received an email to tell me how much the price increase is going to be. I haven’t studied it properly because it was aligned properly so will have to take a look another time. But the thing I did notice that it wasn’t so much the cost of the electricity that had risen, but the cost of the standing charge which is currently approximately 25p and going up to approximately 50p. So in other words, doesn’t matter if you cut down on electricity usage because it’s the standing charge that’s going up which is something you can’t do anything about. Has anybody else noticed that?

3 Likes

I took this up ages ago with my MP and the reply indicated that without the standing charge, the cost of a unit would increase to cover the cost unevenly. The SC being a daily rate is supposed to cover the network infrastructure and metering etc, and therefore easier to apportion, but add a sum to the unit rate would mean the higher unit consumer would pay far more than a lower user.

The worst thing that ever happened when they did away with the hot connection. Now the water has to be heated up by electricity at 25 pence per unit, instead of gas at 12 pence per unit. I’m thinking of reconnecting my washer to the hot pipe.

1 Like

Why don’t we take a stroll down to the river and beat our washing with a stick. We seem to be going backwards these days.
:017:

1 Like

I used to feed the hot water to the Washing machine, instead of the cold pipe.

It sounded good, in theory, but fell down because of the length of the pipe from upstairs (Airing Cupboard) to downstairs (kitchen) meant that the initial loading of water, by the washing machine, used up just all that cold water that was already in the pipe.

Then, the rinse cycles would be using the first of the incoming hot water.

:fire:

1 Like

We had 2 pipes one for hot and one for cold. It would use the hot for washing and the cold for rinsing.
It was better when I had a top loader but when we moved house couldn’t fit it in the kitchen so had to have a front loader.
With the top loader I could take clothes out and put other clothes in with the same water,
like a twin tub.

1 Like

Yeah… :017:…I hadn’t thought the rinsing Ted…

Too much sewage in there!

1 Like

I’m planning a Zero Use period, for tomorrow.

I shall turn off all of the fuse boxes and then check that the Smart Meter is saying Zero.

Once I have that zero, then I start putting the electrical devices back on, one at a time.

Needless to say, Fridge Freezer First, then the others, one fuse box fuse at a time.

Then it will me the Gas, off at the main, but the only thing there is the Central Heating, so that will be easier.

There will be variations, on both, because of the way thermostats, etc., work, but I can allow for that.

Once I know all, I’ll be a know-all at the Golf Club!

2 Likes

I have discovered that I am unable to gain any info on my appliance consumption, because a different company installed the smart meter than the company I pay my DD to. (This smart meter nonsense is all new to me)
Anyway, I do know that by logging onto my account, I can see the (advance) DD payment I made dropping down daily as I use up the energy. This will mean that by the end of the month, I will likely end up owing money…which makes a mockery of having a “fixed price tarriff” :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Find each appliance rating plate or label and then note the wattage (or Kw rating) as that will state how many watts it will consume in an hour assuming it’s working flat out.
1Kw or 1,000 watts = one unit. The charge for that unit will be indicated on your bill.

2 Likes

Thanks but I don’t think every appliance I have, has a rating plate or label. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I think it’s a legal requirement, here, in the UK, PK, OK?

2 Likes

:joy:

OK! :+1:

scuttles off to check everything

1 Like

Weve started to turn off lights which we used to leave on all night for background in case we get up, and tgey act as a bit of security since the house isnt obviously emptu. Have also started to unplug standy things and only have the boiler on for an occasional hour to take the chill off and help dry clothes. We only shower once every 3 days instead of everyday, and wear extra layers.

There are still far too many streetlights and shops and companies which have far too many things lit up for display and left on overnight which I’m.sure could be turned off and which might actually lower prices fr normal people.

1 Like

Last night on BBC news at 6pm I heard in the headlines electric and gas prices are going even higher and could mean an extra thousand pounds a year on our Bill if not more .

Are they speculating and scare mongering us again ?

3 Likes

Yes it is Ted and has been so for many years. It was also an EU requirement too.

If countries aren’t buying gas from Russia, they will have to buy it from somewhere else. Smaller market = less competition = more expensive

1 Like