Manage Your Gas & Electricity Price Increases?

Hi

Wholesale prices have dropped 14%, so I am waiting to fill up.

Pixie thanks for the info about the blanket . I’m just going to get a single snuggle duvet to sit under in the winter. Oh I’m dreading the cold next year and the fear of putting the heating on . I so hate being cold .

1 Like

Oh I know Susan. I have started submitting my meter readings every week so I can keep an eye on things and hopefully reduce my DD to something a bit more reasonable. I hate being cold too, and was wrapped up earlier in layers of clothes and two blankets. :scream: Lets keep our fingers crossed that by next year, all will be resolved and our energy bills will be resolved! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Blimey Bruce, it costs me more to use an electric heater for one hour, than my gas central heating for 4 hours…And I’m heating the whole bungalow with the central heating.

Ha Ha

I think if I use the heater for 20 hours a year that is 2x22x20/100=$8.80 per annum. Even better, as a pensioner, I get a 86c a day discount off my bill all year and I usually only put the heater on half power so you can half the calculation.

I think I can afford that, certainly a damn sight cheaper than installing a reverse cycle A/C. In actual fact my electric bill varies little from season to season it is usually about $200/240 a quarter.

If I installed gas it would just be another standing charge that I don’t need.

The latest notification:

Just a quick reminder: we’ll collect your monthly Direct Debit payment of £270.92 on 24th March.

According to my Chameleon IHD6-PPMID Smart Meter, I’m using about £9 of combined energy per day (compared to £4 per day, according to previous bills) … :exclamation:

Yep, there is a “New Normal” everyday, that is good.

Today’s meter reading shows what this house is going to cost under the revised tariffs.

Gas, at 7pm tonight has cost £11.50 today, so far.- will be £15.00 for the day if I leave it on.

This is with only 3 rooms on the CH schedule and the Hot water on for jut one hour…

Electricity looks better at £4.00 to day, so far.

So, Fuel for 1 day is going to be costing £20.00 a day , or £140.00 a week, £7,280 for the year.

This will reduce as the heating goes off, from Mid April to Mid September, but I’m still assuming about £5000.00 a year.

My readings taken from the smart meter.

Anyone else with figures?

:snowman_with_snow: :snowman:

Funny you should ask…I am finding that they (as in the energy people) are slightly overestimating what I am using. For example, they had a price of £4.88 for Friday. But in the half hour breakdown, I added up their figures and it came to £3.49. So whats going on?

I’m averaging about £3 - £4 a day, but I have started taking careful note of the appliances I use and when, so I can check properly what things are costing me.

Is that for Gas, Elec or both, PK?

Sounds very low compared to mine!

1 Like

Do you think the extra payment could be the standing charge for your meter PK?

1 Like

Its both, Ted, for a 1 bedroom flat. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m going to try and ask them, Wishbone…I pay by DD, so I’d like to know what the extra bit is for. I just hope I can get by the automated bot, and onto a real life person! :smiley:

We’re with SSE now OVO and our monthly direct debit for gas and electricity has gone up from £56 to £72. We only heat 3 rooms and control the boiler manually. The boiler is 15 years old and I am in the process of getting a new one fitted.

That sounds very expensive, Ted - are you taking into account the Government cap on what energy companies can charge?

I have a 2 bedroomed bungalow, with a Combi boiler to heat water and gas central heating.
My new SO Energy flexible tariff is on a par with the maximum capped tariffs and I have worked out that if I use the same units of gas and electricity as I did last year, at the new tariffs for gas and electricity, it will cost me a total of £1,800 for a year, or £150 per month.

I’m just looking at my costs & Budgets as presented on the BG supplied monitor box, which is fed from the Smart Meter.

It’s a very useful little box which allows us to look at most aspects.

Surprised they gave it! We can see it all, tariffs, standing charges, etc.

Already shown, by visible experiment, the value of cutting out baths (hot water by Gas Boiler) and moving to Showers (hot water as needed).

Also beginning to get the concept that central heating is not as worthy as a single electric fan heater, when watching the telly in the evening!

This is a big house, largely shut down, nowadays, in cold periods.

Anyone on British Gas, for Gas or Elec, might find having their on line App on your mobile.

You can download it at britishgas.co.uk/myenergy and you will find the tool which let you view tariffs. month on month usage, you name it.

I just want to point out - rather sniffily, I might add - that my energy supplier is inconsistent with their pricing of things. For example…putting on the kettle can cost anything from 3p to 25p, and doing the laundry apparently is free from using any electricity at all :woman_shrugging: Teatime cooking can vary between 13p and 45p as well. I know this because I am taking a careful note of what I use, when I use it, and it doesn’t correlate with what they say.

Are you including your daily standing charges? These vary between suppliers and your region.

What do you mean daily standing charges?