Major abdominal surgery

I’ve been in touch with Coloscopy U.K & discovered there’s a group not far from me.
When I’m feeling better I’ll go along to their meeting…

6 Likes

People said that personifying a stoma with a given name helped it ‘become more of a friend, a part of the family’, or even ‘part of me’. It has ‘a mind of its own’ and ‘can be praised or shouted at when we have accidents’, as ‘when she kicks off, everybody shouts “shut up Lily”’.

LULU :roll_eyes:

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this dreadful time Carol. Like others on here I can’t really offer advice about the stoma but I can send my support and very best wishes to you and the hope that you will be feeling more positive soon and more able to cope. You are a strong woman and I know that you will not let this bring you down for too long. Hopefully the Coloscopy UK group will be a strong source of support for you.

Re: Naming my stoma.

Paula, my lovely daughter in law asked me if I’d let her name it.
I said ‘go on then’ She comes out with Betty!

Paula says she’s Betty the hero because she saved my life.
I just call her stinky Betty!

I have felt the warmth from all you lovely people and reading your remarks has made me feel a bit better…

5 Likes

Hello Carol I’m so sorry to read about your serious operation.
I wish there was more l could do to help other than sending my sympathy and best wishes for your recovery…

1 Like

How are you doing now Carol?

I think I’m ok thanks RR.

Physically I feel quite fit - wouldn’t know I’d had major surgery 3 months ago. No pain or anything.

I think the fact that I’ve been talking antidepressants since my car smash in Dec 22 has helped me cope in this situation.

Coping with ‘Betty’ is just routine now but we’ve had one nasty nighttime mishap which I will leave to your imagination!!

Currently I am feeling more cheerful in myself. I think this is mainly due to the stoma group coffee morning I went to last week. I sat next to a lovely lady who was so friendly & gave me much help & encouragement. There was also another lady who joined us in conversation later & she was lovely too.

I can’t wait to see them again at next months meeting. I think these people will be a lifeline for me.

I’m on the point of restarting my fitness classes & swimming so that has cheered me up as well.

My life is getting slowly back to normal. I don’t even think about Betty now unless she needs changing but it seems a bit daunting when I think she’s with me for life!

I’m lucky to be alive so it’s a small price to pay.

Thanks again for thinking about me RR. x

7 Likes

I’m pleased to read everything is going well for you Carol. :slightly_smiling_face:

You have braved yourself through a lot of upsets over the years and your strength has carried you through. Well done!

1 Like

Thanks Mags. x

Wow! What a positive post Carol. Well done you. People in a similar situation can be a massive boost to your wellbeing.

When Mum first had surgery and colostomy due to bowel cancer they said they had arranged for someone to come and chat to her in hospital if she would like that. A very young woman in a tiny little mini dress came to her bedside and introduced herself. She had recently had a baby as late in her pregnancy they discovered she had a problem similar to yours Carol. They said she would have to have the baby early as they needed to operate immediately. So she had pregnancy, a newborn, surgery and a colostomy bag to deal with. She was amazingly cheerful and helped Mum no end.

I hope you are getting all your bags etc sent to you. I thought the air sprays, adhesive remover sprays and blue disposal bags were all great and Mum got used to them quite quickly.

So pleased you are doing well Carol. Xx

Hey Carol so pleased that your life is going from good to great, I think we would all be surprised byt the number of people who have a stoma or ileostomy. Because unless the erson chooses to tell you why would you know.

The group sounds like a Godsend. Way to Go Carol.

Agree, a very positive post from Carol. I am so glad the support group is giving just that, much needed support and encouragement. Way to go.

I’m pleased that you are more cheerful - that’s a plus. As is your new social group!

Well done Carol you are very brave :wave:

Well done Carol, glad that you feel positive about it and that you’re doing well.

Thanks everybody. x

I’m delighted to see you back and I have nothing but admiration for your indomitable attitude … :+1:

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Me too Carol, you are fine example to us all…
:hugs:

1 Like

Aw - you’re making me blush. lol :blush:

4 Likes