Lucy Letby - the nurse that killed babies

Clearly it makes a difference to those parents .

1 Like

It’s taken away the closure for the parents. They wanted to have their say and look her in the eye when they vented their emotions. It should be mandatory to attend unless there is a good medical reason.

1 Like

Should drag em in if necessary .

They are currently trying to change the law on this. I am still trying to figure out the big question - why did she do it??? I don’t understand what was going on in her mind.

Who can understand the mind of a psychopath ?

Justice is blindfolded for a reason.

Justice must not only be done but must be seen to be done .

it might be an idea to copy countries that have the cell/cage in the courtroom, why do they need a seperate place? is there a shower?.. perhaps a dressing table where Hindley West ect can sort their mak-up before appearing?
it should be out of the van into the cage
 or better still why have the hearing in the middle of town, have the hearing at the prison

There is now a petition on GB News about this. It got 13,000 signatures within minutes of it opening.

1 Like

Appearance for sentencing should be mandatory IMO.
Having said that if I was one of the bereaved parents I would rather not see her, I wouldn’t want that memory of
her face.

Womens prison , cat A for Letby , isolation cell too .

She will have to be protected

If she is a psychopath then she would only do things to her advantage, I suppose?

So she had nothing to gain by attending for sentencing?

After being found guilty, she must have known that she would get full life sentences, and she couldn’t make that any worse by not attending, so, by psychopath logic, why would she?

She may well have have got personal satisfaction from showing her contempt to the judge and jury sentencing her, and her victims families by not giving the satisfaction of seeing her hear her sentence

I’m not sure that would have been prevented by dragging her in against her will, though

It takes 6 people, apparently. Would she have to be chained to keep her in place? What if she was screaming abuse and being disruptive?

She probably wouldn’t even hear the judge then, or the sentence or the parents statements, and neither would anyone else, it could so easily turn into an undignified circus and give her chance to show her contempt in another way

3 Likes

Sigh

of course there is

any populist bandwagon

4 Likes

Easy chain her to the dock before everyone else comes in .

2 Likes

Yes, I suppose so. Would you gag her as well?

It’s now over 26,000. At least they are doing something positive.

1 Like

I don’t see anything positive about it, just exploiting a terrible situation for their own popularity and views and jumping on the bandwagon

They know their audience

5 Likes

If she was making unseemly noise yes .
Those poor babies she murdered had no voice .

1 Like

I agree with what @Maree has written - but I think the suggestion made by an MP that the court proceedings should be electronically relayed into the convicted criminal’s cell is a good way to deal with criminals who refuse to attend court to hear the victim impact statements and the Judge’s sentencing comments.

It removes the opportunity for them to disrupt the proceedings but gives them no place to hide from them.

5 Likes

Yes, that sounds sensible, I wouldn’t want to see the proceedings turned into a three ring circus by bad behaviour and grandstanding, it’s disrespectful to the victims and their families and I think the sentencing procedure should be dignified and formal

I’d also support a longer sentence for those who don’t attend. It doesn’t really help in this case where she’s getting full life sentences anyway, she’s not likely to be bothered

But in other cases it could be treated as contempt of court with an additional penalty sentence tagged on

And failure to attend seen as lack of remorse to be officially noted when they come under consideration for release

2 Likes