Losing Our Religion

Some of the interesting facts from the 2021 census.

• 25.4 million people call Australia home. Population has doubled in 50 years.

• Millennials now outnumber Baby Boomers.

• Almost half of all Australians have a parent born overseas.

• 25% of the population were born overseas.

• India has overtaken China and New Zealand to become the third-largest country of birth, behind Australia and England.

• Mandarin continues to be the most common language other than English used at home.

• Fewer than half of Australians say they are Christian. “No Religion” is about 40%, 44% are Christian.

• The fastest-growing religions are Hinduism (2.7 per cent of the population) and Islam (3.2 per cent) - was Buddhism in the last census.

Interesting: the census religion question. It’s easy to mislead.

I put Christian, but No Religion might be closer to the truth. It’s just that I’m from a Christian background; birth, marriage & death are celebrated in a Christian church, normally.

I’ve had friends & colleagues in the past from Islamic backgrounds but they’ve grown out of it. Would it be within their make up to tick the Islam box? Yes, I think so. They are probably more likely to hang on in there than lapsed Christians. I think most lapsed Christian would hold their head high when ticking the No Religion box.

1 Like

think you are hissing in the wind there with that one!

I’m a Pastafarian. It’s what I write on any and all forms. These days I also rub a candle on all forms with “don’t write here” to make it difficult for any other bugger to write there (unless it would be of benefit to me if they did!)

Same here d00d.
Until the big fella shows me a sign, I’ll remain a doubting Robert…

You’re one of the crowd as Jedi has declined as a religion Pastafarian has increased in the census.

That’s interesting. I had never thought of that, and it could be useful. Is it possible for someone to rub off the wax if they are determined to write on it?

Oh, I was brought up as CofE, but I’ve long since seen the light.

Rub the wax off? Shouldn’t think so. It would have entered the paper fabric. Bit silly of me I know but I’ve always been a bit of a rebel!

1 Like

Blimey … I thought the UK was becoming “diverse” but it looks like Australia has it beaten hands down:

Modern Australia has been built on immigration. And now - in another first - more than half of people were born overseas or have a parent who was.

:thinking:

2 Likes

I am an RC lapsed but I suppose I shall be one to the end childhood indoctrination is always there …Religion the opiate of the people is the cause of so much trouble in the world but of them all Christianity is probably the best when you consider the alternatives .Jesus was to all accounts an OK sort of man but seemed to get on the wrong side of the wrong people . Good job there is no second coming he wouldn’t last a week in todays Holy Land .

2 Likes

Amen to that sister!

I agree - I know lots of folk who put down the religion they were “born into” on Census forms, even if they no longer practice the religion themselves.

I used to write C of E as a matter of course when I was younger because it was “expected” - I was English and that is the “national religion” - which was daft because I was never “christened” into a Christian faith and I have never believed in a God in childhood or as an adult.
I think a lot of Brits from former Christian families now feel more comfortable to say they don’t have any religion.

@LongDriver :+1:
That is the song that started playing in my head when I read the thread title!
One of my old favourites.

1 Like

That made me laugh! :joy:
I can just imagine an old rebel doing that!
The last UK Census Form I completed was online, as did nearly 90% of the population - rubbing candle wax on the form would have made a hell of a mess on my device screen! :rofl:

I think those that were brought up as CofE haven’t necessarily lost their religion, it’s more a case of…Science overwhelming old beliefs.
Blind people with science and you can sell them anything. Even if the science is bollocks.

More interesting facts from the latest census

• Almost 80 per cent of Australian residents live in eastern Australia in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland and the Australian Capital Territory.
  • NSW continues to be the largest state with over 8 million people, with Victoria not far behind with 6.5 million people.
  • ACT had the fastest growth with a 14.4 per cent (57,102 people) increase since 2016.
  • 66.9 per cent of people counted were in Greater Capital Cities and 33.1 per cent were in the rest of Australia.
  • Greater Sydney remains the largest city in Australia with 5.2 million people, followed by Melbourne with 4.9 million people and Brisbane with 2.5 million people.

• The median age of all Australians remains at 38 years in 2021. Males make up 49.3 per cent of the population with a median age of 37 years and females make up 50.7 per cent with a median age of 39 years.

Australian homes

• 70 per cent were separate houses, 13 per cent were townhouses and 16 per cent were apartments.
  • Two thirds of households (66.0 per cent) own their home outright or with a mortgage.
  • One third of households rent (30.6 per cent).

Languages

• Mandarin continues to be the most common language other than English with 685,274 people using Mandarin at home.

• This is followed by Arabic (367,159 people), Vietnamese (320,758 people), and Cantonese (295,281 people).

• Nepali featured in the top five languages used at home in both ACT (1.3 per cent) and Tasmania (1.3 per cent).

To add some context here are the previous populations of each Capital City

City Population
Sydney 5,361,466
Melbourne 5,096,298
Brisbane 2,582,007
Adelaide 1,378,413
Perth 2,141,834
Hobart 238,375
Darwin 146,982
Canberra 431,611

It doesn’t surprise me Melbourne has less.Thanks to the newish highway they are now within commuting distance and they all moved out here.More houses and fences,less trees. :rage:

I was baptised and confirmed into the CofE but all that went out of the window when my ex walked out on me. As the vicar said at our marriage, “What the Lord has joined together, let no man put asunder.” Well, one of my colleagues did, and she buggered off with him.