Looking For A Job At My Age After Long Absence

Hi Everybody :worried:

The reason why I am using the worried emoticon is because I am 55 years old; and once again after a very long absence, I am looking for a job.

Really depends on what type of job your your looking for. I got a part time job when I was in my late 50s, nothing special with a degree needed, it was just what I wanted after having a responsible job for most of my life, and a longish break.

3 Likes

Have you considered pole dancing? I understand you can earn a lot of money if you do a full routine :rofl:

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: Whit are ye like.

2 Likes

Never put your age on your CV… it’s getting to the interview stage that’s half the battle…at 55 you’ll be fine!

2 Likes

B&Q, Sainsburys?

2 Likes

My aim is to try and put a smile on at least one persons face a day. It makes life that much more enjoyable

4 Likes

@Didi69 Break away from mainstream employment and become self-employed.
Research markets for gaps and then work out what you can do to fill those gaps working for yourself.
After losing my life long employment at just short of 60 on health grounds, I soon became mind numbingly bored doing nothing, so I turned my idle hands and mind to all sorts of things. Now my extended family work within and for my creations bringing home decent incomes without any further involvement from me.
If you set your mind to do things with convinced determination, then anything is possible. I’m soon to turn 81 and have not regrated a minute of my entrepreneurial years :+1:

4 Likes

That happened to my BH,she became a gardener.Probably not a full time job in Canada,can you drive a snowplow? Good luck,anyway. :grinning:

2 Likes

I was sick of being made redundant (Twice) so I bought a van and went self employed as a courier. The best job I ever had.
Like LongDriver suggests, find something you are good at and be your own boss. Be in charge of your own destiny Didi.

2 Likes

Nothing to worry about, apply for a job, don’t wait for a reply, apply for another job, and another job etc, just keep applying, if one comes back with an interview date, keep applying for other jobs, attend interview, keep applying for other jobs until a confirmed offer of employment and you start work, don’t get disheartened, just keep applying
Good luck

2 Likes

as LongDriver said go self employed I did as well, best move I ever made. Here in the UK one of the strange self employed jobs I came across was home oven cleaning, believe it or not. Think of how hard it is to get someone to do a certain job and start doing it yourself. Yyou might be good with cake making or home cooking for people in their homes . How many have a party or celebration at home and don’t want to do the cooking when they want to entertain instead. Depending on how well you know your area you could be a local travel guide for a travel company

2 Likes

Are there any government sponsored job search courses for the over 50’s in Canada which you might be eligible for? If so they often give tailored advice, assistance and travel expenses.

2 Likes

Canada has lots of wild places how about training as a Ranger? They are always looking for those here.

If all else fails there is always a lumberjack :smile:

3 Likes

There’s website for the local community, and everyday I see a number of people asking for help with things like building flatpack furniture, mounting a TV on the wall, the washing machine door won’t open, cat needs feeding. If I was 50 something and unemployed, I might consider offering my services.

3 Likes

Go through your skills.
Then look for a position that require those skills.
Never give up.
I got my current position aged 59.
I had extensive heavy industry experience and what won me the position was a company looking for someone with overhead travelling crane experience.
That was a part of every position I had over the preceding 44 years.

2 Likes

So you had the top job then Bretrick and be a high earner :rofl:

1 Like

You could even be a paid scout leader

1 Like

Hi Didi, everyone,

I turn 55 this year. I like the recommendations I’m reading here and the reasoning. There’s a lot of good people on this forum with excellent insights.

I’ve thought often about trying to work for myself. Each person’s objectives might be a little different. With that in mind, here’s a quick shot of mine:

Part time job for insurance:

Walmart
Starbucks
Home depot
School guard
School cafeteria or administrative clerk

Part time for myself as a 2nd income (I need to work on these):

Amazon Kindle writer
Ironing business
driving- someone mentioned courier
park host in the state parks
teaching at a junior college
learn and help file tax returns

In my current situation if there’s downsizing again:

-Take advantage of linked in learning and try to learn something new…powerbi, tab, things to keep more current on.
-Network like heck, if you have friends still in the industry, start reaching out if you havent, I’ve landed more jobs through networking than actual answering job ads
-Practice interviewing- spent 3 days on practicing one time. I find as I’m aging, I need to be better still on interviewing. Be prepared with a story on why the long absence. I was surprised when this happened and I landed with a person who understood taking time to be with my kids when they were younger.

One more side interesting topic, if you happen to be close to Alberta, British Columbia, Hibernia, or Terra Nova, I’d recommend energy industry.

Please keep us in the loop and let us know. From reading this thread, there is a wealth of knowledge base here with friendly people who are willing to share info.

Here’s to a good day!

2 Likes

Hi LookingForward,

I just turned 55 myself on March 21st; and I am looking for a full time job preferably but, will take part time. I don’t want contract, temporary, on call, etc. I want something stable and permanent; in the medical / health field but; will not settle for just any kind of position.