Listen to the earth

The symbol that you hear the cowboys refer to as the lazy S brand on cattle. Is a sine wave & keeping things simple, in elctromagnetic terms really long ones start down in the hertz with sound, travel up through the long, medium & short wave broadcast bands up into VHF & UHF (Very & Ultra High Frequencies.) Which cover the kilohertz & megahertz & then up into the microwaves or gigaherz. The lazy S at sound is many kilometres long & at 7.83 khz, the length of the wavelength is exactly that of the earth’s circumference. This is the Schumann resonance & it is created by the 50 lightning strikes per second that hit’s the earth. At the other end of the spectrum we have light, a microwave, a wavelength of nano meters.

It is possible to listen to the earths music & Nasa has recordings of sferics, tweeks & whistlers available, plus simple non scientific explanations available.

The sounds of the earth are on VLF, Very Low Frequency. Due to it’s wavelength, effective antennas are very difficult to build, so the only human use of the spectrum is by Submarines, who operate there as it is the only radio spectrum that penetrate water.

https://spaceweather.com/glossary/inspire.html

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast19jan_1/

5 Likes

I think this is fascinating…! Thanks Gee :+1:

1 Like

I dispute the Earth’s ability to make music. :018:

I dispute your disputation. The Earth generates music all the time… you just need to tune in and listen…

2 Likes

Okay then, name me one tune produced by the Earth.

The dictionary defines music as.

vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

The voice of the earth is electro magnetic.

Edited to add. Also the term “Earth Song.” Is NASA’s & I would suspect more a descriptive term to help people understand what they may hear. Than, a grammatically perfect term.

The sounds of the earth are amazing & all around us. Yet we never hear them without a radio reciver.

2 Likes

Can we hear an example of any of these “amazing” sounds anywhere, Gee?

Harbal, you have to know it is not going to be music as you know it… :innocent:

1 Like

If the sound of a bee’s wings or the regular splish of dripping rain on a window ledge is also music, then I probably do know it. :001:

1 Like

or the swish of a female skirt, moving seductively over her body… :rofl:
:innocent:

just need to check if we are in the same thread, :wink:

yes, it is fine, Science and Enviorment… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

That’s one of my favourite tunes. :grinning:

1 Like

Name that tune in… 1…haha

We can have a competition laters…
you make a sound and I guess what it is and visa versus…
Could be in the fun and games threads… :grinning:

That’s right. :+1::heart: They just don’t get it. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This is an interesting thread. Thanks Gee.

I watched a Netflix docu which I think proved the earth produces a radio wave.

I’m ‘working’ on Reports at the moment but I’ll post a link if I can find it later.

1 Like

Yes, look at the links above, it is there. But I’ll repost it here too.

https://spaceweather.com/glossary/inspire.html

1 Like

Rhythm of life is a powerful beat.

2 Likes

I here hurricane Katrina was a hit!

2 Likes