Lionel Blair

It has just been announced that Lionel Blair, dancer and TV presenter, has died. He was 92.

1 Like

Yes, I heard the tale end of this on the news tonight, Judd.
I remember him dancing from years ago. I didn’t realise he was 92 now though.
RIP.

RIP Lionel.

1 Like

Sad day…:frowning:

1 Like

He lived to a great age and had a wonderful life . Dance on Lionel

1 Like

One of the ‘genuine’ entertainers who had a certain bounce to him; always happy with a smile and very quick one-liners :+1:

I can’t say I had a particular fondness for him, but I still find it sad. When you reach the phase of your life that most of us on this site are in, this happens more and more often. As these well known figures die off, it’s like watching the slow death of the world you grew up in. :cry:

2 Likes

I liked Lionel, he always had a smile for everyone, a lovely man.

RIP Lionel.

2 Likes

I agree, Mags…I always remember him smiling.

So sad :frowning:

1 Like

It’s sad to hear that, he was such a great dancer

2 Likes

Enjoy a series of jokes at his expense from Humphrey Littleton on Sorry I Haven’t a Clue over a thirty-year period making fun of his alleged sexuality :D. The ones at 9:40 and 12:17 in particular had the audience in stitches for almost a full minute. Some almost filthy innuendo in this lot.

Sad news but, at 92, he reached a good score in the great scheme of things.

:candle: RIP Lionel

1 Like

Except to my knowledge, he was as straight as a yard of pump water. Married with 3 children and 3 grandchildren, he liked to play to his audience and lapped up attention as all good entertainers do :+1:

2 Likes

I think its wrong to judge someone’s sexuality based on how they behave. Who cares if he is (was) effeminate…he had grace and finesse and was clearly happy with his life. I feel sorry for his family who have to carry on without him now.

1 Like

He was definitely a family man too and despite his entertaining commitments, always tried to get as many home runs in as possible.

1 Like

Weren’t they all like that though? Stayed with their families, none of this messing about stuff of today, and still managed to maintain some semblance of normality. None of the celebrity nonsense you see now.

1 Like

He was straight, and he didn’t mind being made fun of, much like Des O’Connor with Morecambe & Wise’s constant ribbing. Do you think that if he’d objected to jokes at his expense he would have said something about it and had the jokes stopped?

2 Likes

I suppose so, yes (even though you weren’t replying to me :joy: ) It was a different time back then, and everyone teased each other in a good natured way. I’m too used to people being offended now I suppose :frowning:

2 Likes

You’ve got that right. These days, people don’t know what humour is, it’s all backstabbing, snide remarks and politically driven comments.

2 Likes

He seemed a really nice bloke.
Yet another great happy chappie wanders off up above.
Get 'em moving up there Lionel. :slightly_smiling_face:

He smoked like a trooper and lived to the grand old age of 92.
The ever lovely Dick Van Dyke, thankfully still with us, smoked like a trooper too and he’s still with us at 95.
Perhaps it’s something in the fags.

1 Like