Leisurely Scribbles (Part 2)

I’m not sure Gummy, before I went I swapped it with the gaffer for a bottle of Jamesons Irish Whiskey.

Wonderful read,many thanks, Fruity.

Me stomach had been a bit wonky lately, I think I got a stale pint somewhere, depth-chargers we used to call them, you’ll have an upset stomach for a few days after one.

I was finding it hard to keep food down but Phyllis came to the rescue with finely creamed mashed potatoes with 100% pure Irish country butter blended in, and several varieties of her special home made soup, all’s right again. as the saying goes “Slowly slowly catchee Monkey”.

Can dogs/cats eat those garden snails, saw me dog eating one today, I was too late to stop him, nothing wrong with him tonight.

Funny how years ago they were telling us all to avoid pure butter and they were coming up with all kinds of horrible fat free substitutes, now they tell us it’s good for us, well I never pay any attention to these food scientists as they like to call themselves, yes we all make mistakes but wait till your theory is well proved before you put it out as fact.

It’s amazing what the girls of my generation and before picked up from their mothers and grannies, they always knew what to give you when you weren’t feeling right.
My granny was also an excellent cook, she used to say, and these are her own words: “A good cook could make a sick rock eat”.
Before she was married she was a domestic in the mansion of an MP in Liverpool, she did pick up some odd sayings.

Who remembers the Cod-Liver-Oil, and the Senna pods that were smuggled into your tea by your mam, then the “trick” chocolate laxative called “Brute-Lax”, it couldn’t be more aptly named, it was brutal and showed no mercy, it attacked very suddenly when you least expected it, it blew the arse off us innocent kids.
Still it must have toughened up the old bread bin because none of my family ever had serious stomach trouble during their adult lives, except, like me, it was publican inflicted.

When yeh gotta run yeh gotta run. :wink: :smiley:

my son recently came across some cooking sherry type fluids in a chinese grocery store with very high % alcohol content - he tried to make one of his favorite cocktails and nearly blew his cock off! - after some research from the daddy the abridge version is that high alcohol cooking drinks can be sold without an alcohol liscence in Oz at least?

the wine used is at the cheap end of the market and the alcohol high enough to do you serious damage but which gets burnt off in the high flame asian style cooking = he thought he was onto a winner there for the mo! - come in fruity - you might like to comment seeing as you’ve nearly blown yaself up a few times lately?

I believe there has only ever been once case of a fire caused by a spark from a mobile 'phone, and that was the motorist had their phone right next to the pump nozzle/filler neck.
Petrol vapour is heavier than air, so it sits in a layer on the forecourt of fuel stations. Catalytic converters get horrendously hot; hotter than the zorst they are attached to, so a fuel station fire is more likely to be caused by fuel vapour under a car being ignited like this than from a faulty phobile moan.

There have been quite a few cars that have caught afire when parked in fields on dry grass/hay that has then been ignited by the excessive heat from a “cat”.

1 Like

Jem, your doggy should be fine after eating slugs and snails as long as the slimy little beggers haven’t been dining on slug pellets.

We went through a stage of eating margarine instead of butter, but returned to the proper stuff after a while. You really can’t better the stuff. I’m quite partial to garlic butter as well. I have a few packets of Kerrygold’s version in the fridge at the mo.

I remember an Australian chap called Russel Braddon talking on a radio quiz show. He was an author and former “Guest of the Emperor” after the fall of Singapore during WW2.
Along with many others, he suffered terrible abuse and depravation during his time as a Japanese PoW.
Anyway, the panelists on the radio show were asked to name the best meal they had ever tasted, and mister Braddon’s answer was the first meal he had after being liberated. Plain bread and butter.

1 Like

glass of cooking wine anyone?..

one of my pastimes wherever I found my travels was to visit local churches and enjoy their quiet tranquilities and closeness to my Gods? now I discover all have become locked to keep out the sinners - OMG I always thought that’s who we wanted to come on in?

Then there are the graveyards - hard to find sometimes these days as you fight your way through the undergrowths. I certainly wouldn’t expect my priest to do the mowing but aren’t there any teams of practitioner/volunteers at all - after all if the front window is all muddied up then how dya see the goods [gods] anymore?

and talkin about muddied up goods does anyone know were the muddied up sur on rider has gone to cos he’s been gone a long long time?

1 Like

Thanks lads. :smiley:

Two nice German lads dropped into the local today and they drummed up a conversation with some local fellas, they talked about brexit and what a shame the open traveling laws were restricted for UK folks, mighty blow for the young in my opinion.

Anyway I don’t do politics but still i couldn’t help over hearing, the young do talk very loudly don’t they.
One gem I picked up was when one of the local lads said it was now possible for a British person to claim political asylum at a German port, it would go like this:

German customs man:
“So you wish to claim political asylum, first, what are your politics?”

British citizen:
“Oh I’ve voted tory all my life”

GC
“And what was the name of your Asylum?”

Well it made me smile. :wink: :smiley:

Well Spitty, I hope you’re keeping up on the moon project, you can just imagine my excitement on Monday as I waited for the new top of the range Spaceship to blast off, then it was all called off!
50 years ago I watched the same thing in a pub, only this tine there were men in it!, not just two cuddly toys at the helm, what will that prove?, they put the humans back till 20026, seems to me NASA is going backwards, ah well the truth will eventually out. :wink: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

''Are we there yet?"

erhmm ahhem ahhem dear gem - didn’t you notice there was a woman in it too? OMG she didn’t jinx it did she? - anyoldhow as me old granny used to say - "I’ve got a funny feelin about this one ? - they have to get it right of course - can’t lose face as the chinese say BUT it is getting embarrassing and they are losing face anyway - I tell ya summat - I wouldn’t be in it for ball bearings instead of marbles in me marbles bag!!

did I mention *I met a girl 63 years ago and we sorta courted as they said back in the day - mostly on the banks of the great canals of Britain. Of course it was destined to end for all sorts of reasons but I always remembered those days quite vividly. Imagine my sadness when I learned recently that she had died at the age of 57 [we were the same age] and her final “walk along the canal” was on a cruise ship around the world as her final bow. True story and now I sometimes wonder what if!!! - but if all the ‘whatifs’ were to be lined up together they would still be ‘whatifs’ with no answers heh?

1 Like

I never realized the Germans had such a good sense of humour!

remember this one playmates??

Hallo, is this where anyone can drop off an amusing but at the same time
serious, true tale of an event that happened in their life ??

I promise to never mention the brexit word !!
This tale concerns myself and my nearest nieghbour when l was living on a
small farm in the southern cape in south africa, this farm was situated at the
foot of the Tsitsikamma mountains and had forest on three sides and cow
lands on the other , my nieghbours farm was about half a kilometre from my
house and we both had access onto the same dirt road that led eventually to the national road, that led to Port Elizabeth 160 kms to the east .
Stephen Shmitt was my nieghbours name, and l shall call him Stephen from
now on, now Stephen had built his house many years ago of turfs he had cut
from his land and then plastered over with cement then roofed with corrugated
iron sheets, this he had fitted with a large ast iron stove complete with an
oven and a boiler which was kept burning day and night by Anna, Stephens
wife using the nearby torest as fuell !
Stephen and Anna had brought up three daughters and a son on this farm, but
by the time l met them the kids had all married and left home and moved to
Port Elisabeth, the nearest big city, but one of his daughters visited ,regularly,
almost fortnightly when the son in law would do various maintenence tasks
and Amalda, the daughter would chop more wood for them, l forgot to
mention that Stephen and Anna had been ‘retired’ for a good few years
before l met them, this explains the fortnightly visits by Amalda ??
Stephen also had possession of three generating sets, two identical chinese
sets and one very large single cylinder one that was made long ago in the UK !!
He only used the smaller ones for power and only used them from nightfall
to about 10,o’ clock for watching the old style television set which used a
1•2 metre satellite dish placed just outside their back/front door !!
Their house had trees around the garden and a lawn that Stephen kept
unbelievably short and Anna was always sweeping to keep imaginary
leaves away ??
Stephens lawn could be used as a bowling green if need be !
Anna had two poodles that were very yappy ,but Stehen never allowed them
to enter the house so if a wild animal was foolish enough to venture into
Stephens garden at night then l could even hear the yapping all the way over
in my house, plus Stephen was known to go out into the garden with his
revolver and blast into the trees untill the interlopers had fled and the poodles
had settled down again !!
Despite Stephen speaking virtually zero English and. me virtually zero africaans
we got on well as Anna had good english and could read too in english and
in africaans whereas Stephen had neither when it came to reading !!
Despite being over 70yrs old Stephen had a good head of jet black hair which
according to Anna he dyed regularly ? More about this later !!

The above is intended as a preface, and the first tale l intend to call
THE SAVING OF STEPHEN ! A TRUE TALE !
So if anyone is interested l will post it later, lt is one of many Tales from
the Farm?? :thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

Oooh I’m intrigued Donkeyman!! Do tell :smiley:

1 Like

well done donkeyman and I can even read your africaans too! - you may have brought a wind of change and fresh repose to LS part 2 pray continue - more more - applaud the chappie he’s tryin hard to speak english!!

1 Like

" The saving of Stephen ! a short story from the farm .
I will explain first, a few more details about Stephen and Anna my next door
neighbours,
I had been living alongside them for the last 8 yrs or so since moving from
from Cape town where l had been running my own business repairing and
reconditioning machine tools for the last 17 yrs, and as l was now 60 yrs old
felt the need to change my life and head off in a completely different
direction, and my wife ,who was also my office manager felt the same way!
Allthough she didnt fancy selling our rather nice house in Cape Town which
We had made to suit our own ideas, and had 3 bathrooms, 4 bedrooms,
double garage and a free form swimming pool !
We also had another 3:bed house in a nice area which we were letting out at
a good rent! So quite a lot to give up ?
However,when we saw an advert in the junk mail magazine for this farm
of five hectares vwith a house and three guest cottages, with river frontage
situated on forestry land we decided to investigate further ??
Accordingly, on phoning it sounded even better, and to cut a long story short
we ended up selling everything,the business l sold piecemeal as the buyers
I had lined up let me down at the last minute,and both houses also !
By now it was round about easter that we set out in the two ex company
vehicles ,( my wifes car, my toyota bakkie and my sons old landrover)
and a large removal van with a large trailer carrying all our belongings !!
And thats how we came to live next door to Stephen and Anna in
Tsitsikamma some 565 kms away !

Gotta go to bed now, pt 2;to follow , not sure when ? :+1:

1 Like

@gumbud , You dont know the half of it gummy,me fingers keep on
hitting the wrong places !!
However l must press on before the dreaded dementia strikes !!
Sorry about the exclamation marks. !! Ooops! there l go again !!
:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

don’t worry DM I forced myself to learn touch typing many eons ago and it does pay off but?? - we enjoy your prose for what it is entertaining to say the least - the odd floating punctuation mark we can accept!! what we need on here is entertainment not drudgery!!

1 Like

Yes …….

here comes the drudgery!

1 Like