Leisurely Scribbles (Part 2)

I’m not following this line of thinking at all…whats going on, have you had a drink with dinner or something?

oh fgs woman all you have to do is go and watch the johanna lumley tv program huh - is that so difficult ?

The gurkha’s?

hahaha !! -did I ever mention that I used to sit drinking with the gurka soldiers everyweek when I was in HK? - god they were good drinkers!! - oh I suddenly get what you meant by the gurkas - that is called lateral thinking and it is wrong!!

1 Like

I thought it was clever thinking though. You’ll need to explain then, I don’t know what you mean

omg just checked and I got it all mixed up it was the dali llama meets derry khama in Londonderry - got it? fruitcake will be after me now for giving incorrect clues - you clueless twit gumbud!! - self -deprecation is a great slimming device!!

Oh fgs man…you plonker! :roll_eyes: :joy:

No, I’m not dead yet. I suppose if you had to put a tag on me it would be “an old semi-retired member” :wink: :smiley:

Well we just got back from a remote village cottage in north Kerry, can’t disclose the location any nearer or it would be remote no more, a truly beautiful place with everything we needed there, two tiny pubs where you could come and go as you wished and smoke yer brains out, (One publican was also the village bookmaker),a farm shop with great fresh food of the finest quality. The kitchen was very modern and Phyllis enjoyed using it making soda bread and I even ate a lovely beef stew she made on a very cold day.
I won’t say any more but If I’m alive next year I’ll be there again.

We had swapped our house for a few weeks with a relation of Phyllis’s and she and her three children enjoyed their stay in the city.

The food was so good that I started to eat chicken, ham, and beef again, the free range chickens cost a lot more but they were bigger and you’d know they had a good life before they met the divine Rooster in the sky, no more battered dragged up scrawny chickens in our house, it tasted exactly like the ones me granny used to get from her sister in the country. :smiley:

Best relaxing break we had in a long time, put on weight too.

I’ll catch up later and post something, see you soon. :smiley:

3 Likes

you been away then - thought you’d just gone out shoppin this am?

ah well now Jem is back he’ll be able to answer this one to be sure to be sure! -the derry kharma one?

[quote=“gumbud, post:1208, topic:80161”]
"this one to be sure to be sure! -the derry kharma one?
Never heard tell of him Gummy. :smiley:

I’m sure we’ll all agree that when we were young things that were uncommon or unusual especially regarding sex practices and words were considered taboo and abnormal, there was normal and not normal and we all accepted that.

Sure enough we all have to move with the times, and I’m no different, but I do wish the government would issue a handbook for all us oldies so we won’t keep putting our foot in it so often, after all no one wants to offend. :wink: :smiley:

As that great Co Clare philosopher Mick Mc Brady said in the 70’s
“When abnormal becomes normal there is no normal anymore”.

I’m old fashioned and like the “usual”.

Here’s one of my favourite singers, Brenda Lee, Brenda always had trouble pronouncing her “R’s” as many folks do, we cruelly used to call call those kids “wrabbits”, oh we were terrible little devils, Brenda looks into her “mirrwor”

thank you Jem that was lovely - yes she had all the girls crying and a few lads blinkin away the tears - anyone heard how she is?

I feel sure somebody could have tracked this down surely - still I was impressed and watch her doco on tv - she has a lovely way of drawing people in don;t you think?

meeting richard Moore in Derry

Welcome home Jem-Lad. That village sounds like a lovely place. We found the odd place like that on our grand tour when we circumcised circumnavigated the Emerald Isle a few years back.

What we liked about the countryside was that there were so many little waterfalls where you could just stop and enjoy the peaceful tintinnabulation of water tumbling over rocks.
We were also impressed with the WAW (Wild Atlantic Way) that wound itself along the west coast. Every so often there would be small car parks and little laybys, sometimes only big enough for one or two cars, where you could stop and admire the view. The best part was that unlike over here, it was invariably free to stop. Indeed, not only was stopping permitted, it was positively encouraged.

We live not far from a seaside town, and the whole seafront is a pay and display area, with regular patrols by CEOs (Civil Enforcement Ossifers).

Instead of encouraging people to visit and spend money in the town, grockles (tourists) park down every side street they can find to avoid paying in order to spend the day. As for stopping to admire the view, forget it. No parking and no stopping is the norm. Heaven help the idea that people might want to stop and look, then move on again to views afresh.

Your lot have got it right in my opinion Jem. Entice the visitors in. Look after them. Encourage them to come back and spend more money.

Great to hear from yuu again Fruity, all we need now is Spitty, get yer ass over here and back into harness me lad. :wink: :smiley:

I hate arrogant snobs, and as the wife and me were visiting her eldest sister Maisie today we dropped into a posh bakery, not my idea I hasten to add, but their cakes are always very fresh and Maisie, who’s 92 loves lemon Swiss rolls, but they must be made by that famous name in Irish cakes “Gateaux”.

I went up to the middle aged man who was dressed as a chief behind the counter and asked him for a lemon Swiss roll by Gat-tex.
He looked at me disgustedly.
“You mean a Swiss roll by Gat-toe, it’s the French word for cake, and just like as in Grand Prix one does not pronounce the “x”, shall I put it in a box for you?”
“No thanks, you needn’t bother yer ballo” :wink: :smiley:

5011004003046_3

oh you are naughty but I do like you - slap! has anyone noticed on facebook I think it is; a bevy of new sites with various titles re : Friends re-united or similar ilk - atm none are charging for services unlike Ancestry who always try to snag you in - but they the 'friends re-united" do sometimes try to ask you sneakily for a donation - still it is hard work building a website and more so maintaining it. I am using one atm and clicked with this lovely lady assisting me [she must be a staff member?] unless she just wants my body? - but they do seem to have access to many citings of addresses and phone numbers etc either by paying themselves or having some collective arrangement. This particular lady assisting is based in Ireland incidentally but it doesn’t matter where they are but I expect accessing meaningful and understandable data banks in say Finland or any of the other European non-english speaking nations may be tricky. But finding people still remains tricky despite all the new technologies and if you’ve ever seen one of those TV programs “who do you think you are ?” etc you can see the work and money that must go into it! So for the amateur sleuth it must be tricky still and sometimes costly? anyone have any tips on all of this apart from “tip it all out”!! - or as spittie would say " go pedal ya sur ron" ?

Sorry I’d be of no help to you there Gummy.

I had pleasant surprise yesterday after nearly an hours mental torment from an x army captain, they never really are “X” are they, just shows you that God never closes one door but he opens another.
I had taken the dog for a walk in the park and dropped into “The hole in the wall” pub on the way home for a quite pint.

The place had only a few customers there at the time, and the only head I knew was oul Dan Ryan, I tried to avoid him but he nabbed me.
Dan was one of those army lifer nuts who find it hard to talk about anything else, he is a retired army captain and talked about nothing but guns, politicians, and wars.
He was boring the arse off me, if I had a gun I probably would have shot him just to shut him up, even the dog kept pulling at his lead wanting to leave. :smiley:

Anyway in walked two American ladies in their 60’s or thereabouts. One of them went up to the landlord to inquire about something, then they both sat down at our table, much to my relief.

“Are you Jimmy Mac”, the blonde one asked looking at me.
“Yes, that’s me”
“Do you not remember me, Doris, from Doyle’s pub in Howth 40 years ago”
“I’m sorry missus but I don’t remember last night never mind 40 years ago”. :smiley:
“Well you did me and Annie here a huge favour, you sent us to a wholesale jewellers you knew and we got huge discounts on all our Celtic jewellery, here’s a drink for you”.
She plonked a bottle of Jack Daniels on the table and I thanked her for her kind present, before I could ask them what were they were having they were gone out the door and into a taxi.

Jaysus I was like the cat that got the cream, what a pleasant surprise, Dan was left with his mouth open, I made an excuse to him and waltzed out with me bowler and me bottle.

would that be Jack Daniels Scots whiskey; Irish whiskey or american bourbon ? - Oi’ll take the bourbon if ya don’t want it?

Wow Jem, that was a result. It’s a good job the lady in question had a better remembry than you.

I have never been a fan of whiskey/whisky/bourbon except Southern Comfort.
I spent a couple of months working near the Jack Daniels distillery in Tennessee, and many, many months probably adding up to three years working near the Jim Bean distillery in Ohio, but never had the urge to visit them.

I did take one of my friends and colleagues to the Buffalo Trace distillery in Kentucky though. Now that was a memorable day out. We took it in turns to drive, and took it in turns to choose places to visit. A bourbon distillery wouldn’t have been my first choice, but I did find the tour and the explanation of the process very interesting, even though I don’t like the taste of the stuff.

The Yanks have some strange ideas about alcohol. There are places where you cannot drink it outside, not even in your own front garden if it can be seen from a public road. Booze has to be covered when you leave the shop, hence the bottle in paper bags you often see in US TV programmes and films.

There are also “Dry Counties” where you can’t even buy the stuff. It turned out that the Buffalo Trace distillery was in one of these, so although they could make the stuff, and could give you tasters, they couldn’t sell or even give the stuff away for anyone to take off the premises either.
Crazy. In my opinion those sorts of laws are more likely to cause alcohol abuse than stop it.

Anyway, I wanted a miniature as I had a small collection of them from various places I have visited before, including the Glenfiddich and Glen Moray distilleries. The latter is a story for another day.

Anyway, we were directed to a place in the next county where we were told we could buy miniatures, but we got lost on the way and never found it. Worse still, we started to run out of petrol, and contemplated stopping at one of the many farms we passed a good half hour after the low fuel warning light came on.
Then, all of a sudden we came to a small town with a filling station. Mafeking was relieved, and we were saved. My mate pumped the fuel and I went in to pay. When I came out I saw a terrifying sight and shouted to my friend, “GETINTHECARWEAREGOING!”

“What?” said he.

“GET-IN-THE-CAR-WE-ARE-GOING … NOW!!!”

We got in and as we drove off the forecourt, I pointed to the fuel tanker that had just arrived and was being hooked up to the underground tanks, supervised by the fuel station manager who had a lit cigarette in his mouth!

1 Like

yea there used to be some talk about not talking on your mobile phone in a petrol filling station - something about sparkin summat off - but that may have been one of those ‘ghost stories’ I never liked whiskey at all but finally took to brandy - black bottle brandy was the tipple and enjoyed that reduced with ice or summat. then after a few years turned to bourbon and never looked back - there are some who say that is not real whiskey - well so what who cares? show me a good scottish whiskey that you can really enjoy and I’ll show you the prohibitive price tag - I once had one that tasted like a peat bog yuck

1 Like