Lawn Mower Sizing Help Needed

I need some advice on a new mower that I need to buy for the house we are moving to next week. As you can see, the garden is quite large so I need a mower thats suitable.

I’m going for a cylinder mower (Atco most likely) but not sure about cutting width. If you could give me some advise that would be great !

I’ve attached a picture below of the garden. It reaches about another 40 feet beyond the big triangular green tree at the back just beyond the decking (which will be removed soon).

2 Likes

I’m not the best for offering mower advise however I’d like to say how lovely your garden looks.

3 Likes

Thanks Bratti its the main reason we bought the house. We are putting a 4m x 10m orangery on the back, extending over the garage and utility and then converting the loft into a master bedroom.

Going to be a lot more stress but definitely worth it.

Here is the view of the water meadows from the upstairs window (my new office)

5 Likes

This one should do it…

A riding lawn mower

3 Likes

What a gorgeous spot Bread… :+1:

2 Likes

Whoops, sorry Bratti I seem to have put a flag on your post by mistake, I wonder if the Mods can delete it? I will go and ask… :flushed:

2 Likes

No worries.
That is really lovely and your plans sound fabulous. A good riding mower is something you may wish to consider. That’s a fairly large chunk of land and none of us are getting any younger. You must be so excited. :heart:

2 Likes

Yeah super excited thanks !

I’ve considered a ride-on mower but I think it would be too big. I’m considering a cylinder mower with a 17" blade width

2 Likes

Different types of lawn mowers explained.

You may have seen all the different types but here is another good site that explains each type.

A riding mower is a large piece of equipment which does need storing when not in use and does take up a lot of room. Since your lawn is so flat, your options are almost limitless.

There are some nice cylinder mowers available.

Good luck with your decision.

2 Likes

I just bought a used Atco Balmoral 17SK cylinder mower, used off eBay.

Should get it delivered back end of next week after the move.

Thanks everyone !

2 Likes

Wow! You don’t mess around.
Congratulations! :+1:
Self propelled
17 inch blades
It even has a cover.
Well done.

http://selfpropelledpetrol.com/atco-balmoral-17s-petrol-self-propelled-cylinder-lawnmower.php

2 Likes

I think I may be of some help here.
How wide is your lawn, generally and also at its narrowest point?
The answer then is not to buy a lawnmower any wider than the second measurement.

1 Like

The lawn is about 40 foot wide minimum and about 150 feet long. The narrow points I’ll do with a trimmer.

1 Like

Oh, I don’t think they do lawnmowers that wide. :wink:

1 Like

I wish they did though :lol:

1 Like

Don’t know about which lawn mower to get, but just wanted to say stunning garden :023:

1 Like

Yes. I hadn’t really noticed those pictures at the beginning, having come to the thread later, but I agree and it must have taken you a great deal of hard work to achieve that.
Well done Bread.

2 Likes

Your yard is probably too big for this but maybe for maintenance you might consider a robotic lawnmower. It’s like a Roomba but for cutting grass.

That’s a really beautiful garden.

2 Likes

We have a flat garden for the very first time and a lot of grass of a right mixture…it was farmland with sheep at one time so we do get a few tics still…
We purchased recently a another plot of land that is about one third of an acre, very rough grass, so needed to buy a particular mower for that and a heavier duty grass cutter than our more regular one.
sorry about that posted before I had finished it!!!
so horses for courses…One thing we have is tonnes of garden equipment…
mowers…
new tractor
So those two are the newest additions…the ride on mower is not suitable for the new land but the push one is…
So it is important to do your home work…

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d say get someone to do it, lovely setting Bread.

2 Likes