Justice or not

24 hours in police custody

Lovely young man went to jail for 22 months after he caught two burglers trying to break into his home on camera , he his wife and baby inside , these vile burglers were armed with crow bars . Long history of theft , gbh, dangerous driving , etc etc , thugs who will do anything to hurt or harm . The home owner chased these two in his car and crashed into their motorbike . The thugs badly hurt . The home owner arrested after bring interviewed and being totally honest . Meanwhile he and his wife knowing he was going to prison aborted a baby in the early weeks because they needed to survive and work and she was going to be alone .

Home owner , honest hardworking went to prison 22 months I hope it was an open prison with relaxed rules
The two thugs got community work and suspended sentences only
The outcome which made me feel justice was done was the thugs were both badly hurt , not life threating but enough pain for a few months to slow them down

Even during this case the two thugs were caught in a stolen untaxed car trying to going out of the steal again

The sentence included that case too

Where is Justice in this country

3 Likes

I completely understand the injustice of this and well done the man for protecting his wife.

The ā€œlawā€ (:roll_eyes: ) however, would only see that he took the extra step of seeking to hurt these thugs, so would throw the book at him. Its a horrible injustice and I worry about this country

You have to draw the line somewhere. What next vigilante mobs hanging people?

How was chasing the thugs and running them down with his car protecting his wife?

Justice is blindfolded for a reason.

1 Like

He knew what he had done after the event he admitted he lost it and shouldnā€™t have , even the police said they felt for him as he had a moment of madness and saw red mist , he accepted his sentence with grace

I hear you

But the two thugs got lenient sentences

I have read so many examples of this. A victim who takes actions to protect themselves, their property and loved ones against a criminal stands a real risk of being turned into a criminal by the police/justice system, whilst the actual criminal often gets away with it.

This is why when (for example) people see a crime being committed, i.e. someone stealing a bike, people wonā€™t take action because they almost certainly be turned into a criminal for doing the ā€˜right thingā€™.

It really makes me sick when I hear of victims being turned into criminals and vice-versa. It perpetuates crime, because criminals know they can do what they like in broad daylight, knowing they can get away with it and the law will give full protection from the horrible nasty victim, who will have to live with the consequences of being arrested and charged with anything the police can think of in order to make up the convictions numbers, moreover because itā€™s often too much work to trace the real criminal who has long gone - or maybe professing themselves as a victim. Meanwhile, the actual criminal can sleep soundly knowing he is protected by Human Rights Act whilst enjoying the fruits of his activities, knowing the law is there to protect them. As for the victim in all this, I assume we are heading into a society where the law and justice system expects the victim to accept the crimes committed against them as a manner of course.

2 Likes

Channel 4 24 hours in police custody please watch on catch up

I saw this programme too and felt so sorry for the victims of the robbers.

The way the man chased them by car was foolish - he obviously wasnā€™t thinking straight at the time - he had to be found guilty of the charge of causing injury by dangerous driving, considering the circumstances.
I donā€™t know if that crime carries a mandatory prison sentence or not - maybe the Judge applied as much reduction for ā€œmitigating circumstancesā€ as he could.
In general, I think itā€™s right that crimes involving injury to people are punished more severely than crimes against property but the Justice system should acknowledge that crimes against property often result in mental and emotional damage to the victim too.
I felt it was morally unjust that an honest man got a 22 month prison sentence for one moment of madness, which he admitted to, when the two thieving thugs who had a long history of criminal activity, with no remorse for wrecking their victimsā€™ lives and just ā€œno commentedā€ their way through every police questioning, were given community service and got away with suspended sentences.

It rubbed salt into the wound when one of them claimed to be still too unfit to be interviewed by police about his crime but was fit enough to go out on the rob again in a stolen car with his partner in crime.
I expect those two will continue to lie, steal, cheat and damage the lives of yet more victims.

2 Likes

I can understand where you are coming from ,Susan, unfortunately, they were caught on camera, therefore ,it should be reported and left in the hands of those in authority, ā€œ The Policeā€ā€¦what would happen if we all decided to take the law into our own hands, there would be absolute CHAOS !!..

Iā€™ve had problems with neighbours in the past, they were caught on my cctv, I reported it, then left it to the police to deal with, I wasnā€™t happy with the outcome, I was the one who had to clear up the mess he had made, ā€¦but there it is, he never bothered me again, once the police officer had words with him.

Those in authority who deal with these thieves, they have been put in that position of authority/ powerā€¦it may not sound fair to us as onlookers, ā€¦I would rather have our police officers,judges,etc, ā€¦than taking the law into our own hands, like that gentleman didā€¦:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You would make a good judge, somebody with empathy who can see the wider view. An inflexible legal system, encourages criminals.

1 Like

Yes I hear you too Pauline and of course your right , Iā€™m glad your issue got sorted and it must have been frightening

I guess Iā€™m so annoyed that we hear all the time that the criminals get away with it and like these two thugs will continue to hurt harm and steal . One had 2 small children and another on the way , what will he be teaching those 3 kids ?

Our justice system is too lenient .

I double lock my doors and windows at night although I feel safe where I live but if I didnā€™t it would be awful . What would happen if I kept a weapon under my bed ( mind you Iā€™m too weak in the arms now to protect myself :unamused:)

Silly me , Iā€™ve let the program get to me so Iā€™d better get on with my day

1 Like

I fear that honest working taxpayers are not far away from taking action, there is only so much you can take.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t like to judge our justice system, I may have in the past, however, I couldnā€™t do there job for Love nor money, .i donā€™t think any of them get away with anything ,if they are caught, the authorities deal with them their way,.we have the justice system that we have, and Iā€™m thankful for themā€¦

Taking action?

An assumption?

That is when lawlessness wins.

Not at all, I know people who sleep with something to hand to defend themselves.

1 Like

Maybe they do, but I think itā€™s an assumption to say that they would be ready to use, what ever they have at hand.

Also they would be taking the law into their own hands, if they did,.we have those in authority, thatā€™s the way it isā€¦and has been ever since I can rememberā€¦even though some think they are too lenient, i would rather have it that wayā€¦than the whole country taking the law into their own handsā€¦thatā€™s just my own opinion.

A few have firearms.

In the village youngsters are a little intimidating playing with their air pistols.

The problem with having ā€œsomething to handā€ ready in case there is an intruder is that you have to be careful about whether this may be viewed as ā€œpre-planningā€ to attack an intruder.

This article sets out the CPS advice on self defence against intruders in your home - it is acceptable to attack someone with a weapon which comes to hand but only to protect yourself and others in the house if you are being attacked or if you believe you may be attacked - not acceptable if it is just to protect your property and not acceptable if you are ā€œpre-planningā€ to attack a burglar.

It doesnā€™t mention the outcome of using a weapon you are deliberately keeping ready to hand against an intruder - licensed firearms are supposed to be kept locked up when not in use, arenā€™t they, so you may end up on a sticky wicket if you kept one under your bed - especially if you used it on an intruder who had no firearm - although a farmer in 2012 was not charged with any crime when he shot at two burglars with his legally licenced shotgun - on that occasion it was the burglars who ended up in jail.
I guess the Justice system looks at each case on its own individual circumstances and merits.

1 Like

Yes, this is why women have to justify having (and using) hairspray and/or scissors against a would-be attacker when out and about. We here in the UK canā€™t even use pepper spray (which is ridiculous), but instead have to use a ā€œpersonal alarmā€ which is intended to scare off an attacker, or alert people to come and help :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Itā€™s reasonable to keep my bunch of keys in my pocket, within easy reach if I notice anyone lurking around when Iā€™m walking home or walking back to my car, though - one of them just happens to be the long deadlock key to my garage.
Itā€™s not a weapon but it could help fend someone off -

1 Like