Just got back from the vets - 2 possible ops

Just got back from the vets.

When I was clipping my oldest one the other day, I found an unusual lump just over half way up her tail. It wasn’t there before or I’d have found it.
It doesn’t bother her, she seems totally unaware of it.
My vet is not sure at this stage what it is.
Doesn’t think it an abscess, but possible a cyst or possibly a cancerous growth. He needs to see her again in a fortnight and see if the measurements have changed.
There is so little flesh to pull together and stitch, on a tail if operated on. If it does turn out to be cancerous, it will mean tail removal.
Oh dear, another worry. :frowning:

While we were there, I booked Gertie in for her spay.
30th June she will go in.

Wee bit pee’d off this afternoon, though must determine not to worry too much at this stage.

1 Like

Try not to worry Mups it doesn’t really help and only serves to stress you out. Easier said than done of course as I know only too well.

Let’s hope it’s a sebaceous cyst, Floyd had one, the vet said some older dogs are prone to them. He squeezed it out, not pleasant but, strangely satisfying. :frowning:

Yes, I know you’re right EZ.
I shall deal with it as and when I expect.
Thank you though. x

Did he take a bit for biopsy?

I guess if he’s leaving that long, it’s not considered too serious :confused:

Snot like the NHS :wink:

No he hasn’t taken a sample at this stage, I think he is reluctant to get too intrusive at this stage, but he may do that if it has changed in a fortnight.
He did say to go back sooner if it changes in the meantime.
I trust him, he is a good man.

Sounds good Mups … try not to measure it every few minutes :wink:

Mups I will say what I always say to you when one of you dogs has a health problem… " If you worry it won’t help the dog and it may stress them." My cats always know when I am upset!
I have known more people, who found lumps on their pets, that turned out not to be cancer… so try to adopt a positive approach.
As for Gertie, what an awful time for her to have her op, if we get good weather the strawberries will be out then.:surprised: If she has to stay in for a few days I hope you will take a bowl of them to her bed.:slight_smile: If she has a plastic bucket round her neck you will have to hand feed them to her.

Hugs for all of you :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Oooh, thanks for the hugs Twink, I like hugs. :slight_smile:
I am not obsessing about it at this stage, I will just keep an eye on the lump though, it would be foolish to ignore it.
I shall know more later.

As for Gertie, she will be totally pampered and spoilt, her every wish will be catered for I can assure you.

Thanks also Rachel, and yes, good advice.
I will hide my tape measure. :slight_smile:

If you do that how will you know where to find it when you next need it? :017:

You could post on here where you’ve hidden it, then when you next need it and can’t find it you could ask us and one of us could tell you :115:

That’s a damn good idea ruthio.
See, what would I do without you. :smiley:

Just a little update on Mups (the other Mups :-)) tail lump.

She had it checked two weeks later as asked, and it had changed shape., but no larger.

Another check last week, no change, then another check this morning.

This time he decided to stick a needle in and take a sample of the fluid. I was so proud of her because he said it would probably hurt a bit, but she stood for me good as gold, and never complained at all.

He put the contents onto two slides and they are going off to the lab for analysis. He is hoping to ring me Monday with the results. I am praying it is not cancerous.

Meanwhile, Gertie is booked in for her spaying next Friday.

It all happens here! :roll:

:hug::hug::hug:Hugs for your furry friends.

:hug::hug::hug:Hugs for you !

Thank you Tabs, I’ll keep you posted.

I like hugs muchly. :smiley: X

I have my fingers crossed for both Mupses.

Here’s more hugs for both of you.

:hug: :hug:

Mups, try not to worry because you may be worrying for nothing! The other Mups was brave and strong, so you must be so too. At least those slides will give you a correct diagnosis…and it may be something that can be easily treated.

I am sure Gertie will be fine too… that little minx isn’t planning on leaving the lovely new mum she now has.

:hug::hug::hug:

Oooh, I’ve never had so many hugs and squashes in one day (or one year!) before. Thank you my friends, thank you very much.
Luv ya lots. x x

Hopefully a good outcome for her but vigilance in the future whatever the news.

Thanks Nom.
I hope I am always pretty vigilant, and having to clip them gives me quite a lot more opportunity to keep an eye on their body too. :slight_smile:

Bit of good news this morning.

My lovely vet just phoned with Mups tumour test results. It is benign.
It is a keratin tumour - which I have never heard of - and is unlikely to cause problems unless it keeps growing and starts to bother her.

Whoopie. My old gal is gonna be fine. :smiley:

Just got to get little Gertie through her op Friday now.
So fingers crossed she will be fine too.

I am now a happy bunny. :smiley: