Jacob Rees-Mogg wrongly claims taking morning after pill is abortion

The Commons leader made the claim when Labour’s Dame Diana Johnson asked him to sanction a debate on ensuring the drug was cheaply and easily available. The Hull North MP called high prices for the drug at some pharmacies a ‘sexist surcharge’. It followed the decision by Boots to cut the price of its pill to £10 after years of campaigning from activists and charities.

Rees-Mogg, a devout Catholic who has said he opposes abortion even in rape cases, told Dame Diana that she ‘cannot expect me to speak in favour of abortifacients’.

Raising a point of order with the Speaker after the debate Dame Diana said: ‘The World Health Organisation say that emergency contraception pills prevent pregnancy by prevention or delaying of ovulation and they do no induce an abortion. Emergency contraception cannot interrupt an established pregnancy or harm a developing embryo. How can I ensure that the Leader of the House corrects the record, as what he said I think is a harmful clinical falsehood and I am sure does not represent the Government’s policy?’

Deputy speaker Dame Eleanor Laing replied: ‘It is open to her to simply ask the minister to correct the record. It does appear to me that if there is a factual inaccuracy in the matter to which she has just referred, it is rather an important matter and one in which I would judge that anything that is said in this chamber ought to be 100% correct, because it is not a matter on which we should allow people who will be affected by it to be misled, and that the facts ought to be straight.’

Lying seems to be popular in the Tory government.

Abortifacients?
Does the man carry a Latin dictionary in his pocket ?

The morning after pill and the abortion pill are two different things.

The man is an upper class twit and is a throwback to a bygone age, though I admit I can find him quite amusing at times.:smiley::smiley:

3 Likes

Yes and I always imagined him a bit of a Bertie Wooster, but I’ve just learnt he’s got six children!

1 Like

And no.6 is Sixtus.

He wants more but his wife has shut up shop.

Wot, no Septimus and Octopus?

1 Like

Corpus linguistics optimum!

1 Like

But - if someone who is already pregnant takes the M/after pill - would it not have the same effect? I don’t (obviously) know much about either of them. They were around when I was young - we relied on good morals and the word ‘No’ !

1 Like

No, because the morning after pill prevents the sperm and egg creating a pregnancy. So there is no abortion. The abortion pill is used after a pregnancy is confirmed. Two totally different things. It’s like saying the contraceptive pill = abortion. The time period in which the morning after pill is taken is too short for a pregnancy to have occurred.

3 Likes

@AnnieS - Thank you - I was not sure how they worked.

1 Like

This is just a case of getting wrapped up in terminology, and creatively interpreting definitions. We should think about things in relation to what they actually are, rather than be influenced by emotive labels that have been attached to them. Besides, in a secular society, such as ours, politicians have no business letting their religious beliefs interfere with their decisions. :018:

Why do you have to twist everything a Tory says into a “lie”, Omah? He didn’t lie at all. He didn’t even “mis-speak” as the saying goes. It was his OPINION (or belief) that taking the morning after pill is the same as an abortion.

1 Like

Patently, either an ill-informed opinion (not likely from the the erudite Mogg) or one intended to disseminate falsehood, i.e. a lie.

William Rees-Mog, educated at Balliol College, Oxford :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

To misquote Albert Einstein Only two things are infinite, the universe and the stupidity of Rees-Mogg., and I’m not sure about the former.

Probably took classics not science .

Jacob Rees-Mogg is the younger son of William Rees-Mogg (1928–2012), editor of The Times newspaper.

Jacob Rees-Mogg read History at Trinity College, Oxford, where he graduated with an upper second-class honours degree in 1991.Reflecting on his time at university, Rees-Mogg regretted not having studied Classics.

Jacob on the right.

1 Like

“every sperm is sacred”?

All the more tragic then that millions of them die in the frenzy to be first to the prize. I think it may be time to pause for reflexion. :thinking: :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

And just to think how many of those sacred little things have come to such an undignified end in some young rascals dirty hanky. :pensive:

You know abortion is a hot topic over here especially now. I have no children and don’t plan to start now. I really have no feelings one way or the other, except this.
All the people raising the ruckus over abortion and wanting it to be illegal. I expect to see you at the head of the adoption line for all the unwanted babies born.
I think of it as put your money and your time where your mouth is. IMHO

1 Like