It was all in vein

I went to go and give blood this afternoon, but for some reason the blood didn’t flow, I suspect the donor assistant who stuck the needle in missed the vein, but for whatever reason it was a wasted journey. I offered my other arm, but they said they are no longer allowed to do that, and I would have to rebook in a few days.

To add insult to injury I slipped over on the way there and have sore knees.

Have re-booked for next week. Will be number 101.

6 Likes

A great thing to do @Maver-rik , is there an age limit though now on donating? :thinking:

1 Like

Well it was fortunate that your fall wasn’t bad enough to require a blood transfusion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hope you recover from your fall quickly.
I wonder why they wouldn’t bleed your other arm instead?

2 Likes

You are brave I belong to the Tony Hancock school of blood donors .

2 Likes

I think there is an age limit is 70, so I have a few more years to go. My blood can be used for prem and neo-natal babies as I am CMV negative, so I try never to miss a session. CMV is a generally harmless, mainly symptomless virus that most people have had, but is very serious for babies.

I used to time it right that I go around Christmas and we had mince pies instead of biscuits.

2 Likes

Is that the sketch with the comment about the ‘empty arm’? ! If so then that’s always seen as very funny,
even after all these years!
:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

2 Likes

I was thinking that @Psmith as I picked meself off the pavement and stifled a pathetic little sob.

OK, exaggerated a bit there, it wasn’t too bad a tumble.

1 Like

What struck me as quite funny was that I had brought with the book I was reading to keep me occupied while I waited, Oscar Wilde and the nest of Vipers by Gyles Brandreth. It is a fictional account of Oscar Wilde investigating murders with a vampire connection.

Husband has been a blood donor for many years… but they don’t want mine… :sob: :sob: :sob:
Hope Maver-rik your knees don’t hurt so much…I have managed in the past to fall on knees going up steps, and can really last ages…

2 Likes
3 Likes

He was a great comic wasn’t he … I loved that series.

2 Likes

I love that sketch.

2 Likes

That’s great! Thanks!

2 Likes

I too used to give blood regularly and had that happen on one occasion. When I first started they would take just about any blood.

Then over the years they became more fussy, first it was HIV precautions, then people who lived in the UK for six months or more from 1980–1996, One rule I occasionally fell foul of was visiting an area with malaria so only part of the blood was used.

The thing that finally made me give up was iron in my blood, I would get knocked back on that test occasionally so I gave up but now I am over 70 I can’t give blood anyway.

As Tony Hancock said, “I think we should get a badge so people could pick us out” “Nothing pretentious ,something like ‘He gave so that others might live’”

@Bruce - they used to award badges to people who gave over a a certain number of pints - I have one somewhere - but cannot now remember how many pints it was for!!

I never got anything other than a couple of plastic cards (one because I have a slightly rare blood group - A neg) but never a badge just a drink and a biscuit.

Their set up changed too they used to set up at the local RSL hall for a couple of days but now they have this massive semi which they just park at the local library then move on, It has slide outs and is very posh.

Yes,my father had one.As he had quite a rare blood group he thought it was a good idea to give them as much as he could.

They still do the enamel brooches.

In the past I have had a rather nice sheaffer pen (25 armfuls) and also a crystal platter thing that I use as a fruit bowl (75 armfuls ). For 100 I got an invite to one of their donor dinners and a certificate and a medal (??? ). It used to be a crystal decanter for 100, but don’t think they are doing the pens and crystal stuff anymore.

1 Like