Is your writing style diffferent than your speaking style?

Continuing the discussion from Have you ever tried posting with Google Voice?:

From another thread, this post about having different writing and speaking styles. I’m intrigued.

Is your writing style different than your speaking style? How is it different?

No.Except that I say more on here than I actually speak.
What with my BH and her mother my role mainly is to listen.

7 Likes

I do tend to be more pedantic about grammar and syntax when writing. Had a children’s story rejected by a publisher on the grounds that ‘the modern child would not like or understand such formality’ - which I found surprising as I had ‘road tested’ it on a bunch of 6yr olds - who loved it and thought it was fun! Hey Ho.

2 Likes

Iz that cuz U never writed it like that? (joking)
Sorry but I think that is a terrible excuse for rejection. How are children going to learn the correct way to express themselves if they don’t get taught?

2 Likes

On the one hand, they say that children can be trusted to understand and do more than some people think they would and, then again, adults are afraid that children would be unable to cope with other things. This kind of caving-in can be seen in the fact that more and more texts are offered using “simple language”.

2 Likes

I’d say and hope that my writing style is more precise than my speaking style.

2 Likes

I swear a lot in my speaking style. Fook a dook is one one my favourite exclamations.

5 Likes

Hi

No, exactly the same.

Short and sharp, getting my point across.

I was instructed in this very early on in my Career by a Judge.

Keep your words to a minimum, double space your statements so others can annotate them.

The Judiciary know the law, that is not your expertise, science is not our expertise.

Say it as it is, in simple terms which the legal people and ordinary Juries can understand, answer any questions simply.

The Jury is the people you must convince, they are not idiots, they are commonsense people.

That is British Law.

They know much more about commonsense than you do about plastering, plumbing etc.

You have to convince them, not me.

I can express myself more in writing then in speaking.
I don’t like confrontations/arguments, but I can say what I think in an email or letter.

1 Like

I write very poorly but not a great speaker either, more a chatter box.
I need to write a lot of things I do onto paper, obviously Ancestry has to be jotted down,although once you enter the details onto an ancestry site it looks really shipshape…
Husband reminds me if I am writing out an address on an envelope to make sure it is readable…what a cheek… :innocent:.

1 Like

Writing I’m likely to use language I wouldn’t normally use in conversation. That comes from having to think more as you type, than you do if you speak. So, yes I would say my writing style is very different.

1 Like

@d00d , Me mate used to say " shyte a brick" quite a lot!!!:grin::grin:
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Danny…now I would not think of swearing in a letter…it usually happens if I bang my foot or something like a wall jumps out at me. :innocent:

1 Like

As a rule I try not to swear. I have a huge problem with rules.

Didn’t see anything about swearing in the first post, but depending on whom I am writing, there might be swearing. As far as speech goes, I tend to swear a lot when alone. I try to keep conversation civil in groups. How the f#ck did we get on this subject?
What you should really ask is do swear words still offend you or have you become inured to them through media, Personally swear words have little to no effect on me, except in judging character.

2 Likes

That was my fault Danny…when you said language I though you meant bad language.
I was bought up in a non cursing home environment. Then my boyfriend moved in with us for a short period. He said trust me your dad swears…I had never considered he had so was quite shocked…I learnt very easily at High School and it stayed at school until I Got older…My husband hates hearing me swear at anything,ever…that is the trouble as I know it so annoys him… :innocent:

1 Like

Now I see what you think of me! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Oh, I think so. - much more formal. That was a reflection on the job did for a living.

1 Like

I guess it depends upon what I am writing. But to a large extent yes.

1 Like

My writing is bad, it’s amazing any of my pen pals can understand my letters, yet they seem to. I guess over the years they have learnt how to translate them. :grinning:

1 Like

I think I write as I write as I speak, really…I find typing words a lot more natural and flowing now than writing with pen and paper (I know, sacrilege!), and my handwriting isn’t bad as such…although I was a much neater writer in school.

1 Like