Is this a scam? Royal Bank of Scotland offering a rebait

My wife received a letter about a week ago from Royal Bank of Scotland saying they have some funds over and would like to offer her a rebait of £216.45 and will send her a check in a couple of days.
To day in the post was the check with instructions to cash it into her own bank.
Why do I think it maybe a scam, my wife has never banked with them.
The money would be handy as we are going to buy a second hand sofa for £255.

1 Like

A bank you don’t bank with have sent you a cheque that is some form of rebate?
May be worth contacting RBS before banking the cheque.

2 Likes

A bank that you have sever used??? It’s a scam.

1 Like

Did your wife have any dealings with Nat West, as they were part of Royal Bank of Scotland.

I did not think any customers lost money because the Government bailed the Bank out and took over - maybe shareholders lost money.
I couldn’t find any news about any rebates / refunds going on but I did see last year that the Government were planning a public sale of the Govt stake in the company.

If you have received an actual cheque in the post and have not been asked to disclose any of your details or sign and return anything, it is difficult to see how that could be a scam - but I would not deposit it in my bank account if I thought it may be dodgy or I did not think I was entitled to it.
I would have a chat with my bank before I deposited the cheque, to see if they can throw any light on the matter.

5 Likes

I agree. Personally I would put it in the bank and ask questions later. Gift horses and mouths etc.

A bank giving out some left over cash to just anybody.It’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever heard.It’s hard to see how paying money into your account with a cheque would do any harm though.

1 Like

Ummm just wondering what kind of details she has to supply in order to cash the cheque? I’d double check with the issuing bank to see if they have actually sent rebates. And, if she has never banked with them, how did they get her name and address?

I’d be highly suspicious.

Send the cheque to me Reggie, and I’ll dispose of it for you…
:nerd_face:

We are of to my wife’s bank tomorrow 9.30 and see what they say, will let you know.

4 Likes

Good man Reggie, they’ll sort it out for you…I hope it’s genuine…A nice windfall…
:+1:

2 Likes

That is not how financial law works in U.K.
If you deposit money into your bank which you know you are not entitled to, you could lay yourself open to criminal charges.
It is best to check before you pay the cheque into your bank account.

1 Like

Absolutely, they might want it back and a prosecution may follow… :009:

1 Like

Quite right, Foxy - I’ve seen it happen -
Trust me, I know these things - I used to be a Banker! :rofl:

2 Likes

And that’s why I listen to you about money stuff boot…
:thinking:

2 Likes

Sound advice.

1 Like

That is news to me, Foxy - I wasn’t aware I had given you any financial advice - but if I did, I hope I followed the FCA regulations to the letter! :innocent:

If someone sends me a cheque with my name on it then I am entitled to it and I would deposit it using my mobile phone. It is up to them to prove I am not so entitled, they also have to prove intent. If they can show it was a mistake then they can have it back.

How would you know you weren’t with that bank?

I used to bank with the United Permanent Building Society and after a few name changes it was eventually taken over by the ANZ bank when it disappeared. Likewise my account with the Rural Bank of NSW, which became the State Bank of NSW, then Colonial State Bank then was absorbed by the Commonwealth Bank.

Banking is a very incestuous industry you never know who they are.

1 Like

Not me personally Boot, but I always read your posts on the forum, and they have contained some very interesting advice and info…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

I would suspect that if the word “bait” appears in any communication then its a scam.

2 Likes