Is someone being Conned

I could write a political message. But the words I would use would probably get me arrested anyway. :man_shrugging:t2: :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t charge folks for going out on my Bike :bike: and, I’m usually Hank Marvin when I get back :smiley: seriously though you can only rate stuff as to what you did yourself, like, when as a youngster I had such a thirst for learning music, not once did it cross my mind it might be a nice cosy earner later on it was pure love of creating sounds, something is lost once you turn it into a business Spose.

1 Like

This is so true that I can’t “heart” it enough. I have tried many a time to turn creative endeavours into some financial gain, but its like selling your soul. I just can’t do it.

1 Like

Modern “art” such as Jackson Pollack et al, surrealism a la Dali and Picasso turn me right off as do photorealistic artworks.

We have 6 original watercolours hanging in our home (3 sights of Rome by a Roman artist, 2 towns in Provence and 1 of York Minster by an English artist). We love these pictures even though some might describe them as being painted photographs.

I like Banksy he can come and paint on my wall any. day.

Do you want a medal for riding you bike or playing an instrument and not making money out of it ?
Lots of people do that
One of the secrets of happiness is doing something you like and getting paid for it .
The Beatles liked creating music too it’s just they were exceptionally good at it and consequently made millions .
But they were good at it and making music or painting a good picture just doesn’t happen in five minutes it takes time and care and skill .
Van Gogh never made a cent out of his paintings .
Mozart was buried in a paupers grave .
Artists have to live while they are creating something .
If people like something enough they will buy it be it a moter bike churned out somewhere in Japan or a work of art .

Art is subjective everyone likes different things that is why it is important to buy art because you like it .
I don’t like watercolours I find them insipid but not all some are brilliant .
I love both Dali and Picasso .
Both artists of monumental skill and imagination.
to translate what one sees in ones mind into a painting requires immense skill .
Especially if you have a mind like Salvador Dali’s :slight_smile:

I like Keith Proctor I’m lucky to have two of his paintings…not originals but limited edition prints. I buy what I like and his paintings are happy if you know what I mean…I also have a David Shepherd print its of a train…Its in the study.

There’s a man in Bradford called Bob Barker he has a studio there and if you go he puts the kettle on and makes you a cup of tea :slight_smile: his stuff is quite nostalgic…he told me sometimes he just walks around Bradford looking for inspiration. I love his paintings…

@Muddy

I think you miss my point, and that is all it is, I question the inner artistry of a person, once they acquire a Manager and an Accountant.

PS, A person should feel very lucky to be a “Two Trick Pony” :smiley:

Question it all you like that is your prerogative sounds like sour grapes to me .

Could well be, a bit like some Art, up to others to decide.

Artists do like to paint grapes !
This is a good one

1 Like

My ex was a good artist at painting oil colours, my son son loves oil paintings and has one in his home ( it weren’t cheap)…I think eventually he will have his house full of them…you can’t beat an oil painting done by a professional,imo.

Pauline I love oil paintings they have a richness about them .
You could put some of their paintings on here .
Oils are lovely to paint with as they don’t dry quickly so you can adjust your paintings for a long time .
On the other hand they are messy and take forever to dry !

1 Like

Some amateurs are very good pauline.

I wouldn’t know about that, my son would though he does his research,:wink:

Neither would I, but it stands to sense, in any vocation, paid or unpaid.

Maybe so, but if I saw a painting and I liked it, then I would buy it.

Art is beautiful, prints imo are just that, Art is in a different league, you’ve only got to look at Muddys to see that…you have to give credit where credit is due…she’s an amazing artist!!

Depends what you call an amateur / professional .
You can’t ( one hopes ) have an amateur doctor / bus driver / pilot /

Someone who makes their living form paintings is a professional .
An amatur may be just as good .

Vincent Van Gogh never sold a painting in his lifetime

1 Like