Is it fine to eat fast food at this age?

Is it acceptable for someone over 55 to indulge in fast food? Personally, I quite enjoy grabbing a subway’s sub of the day. Do any of you partake in fast food like that or something similar?

2 Likes

Hello Liam. Yes, indeed it’s acceptable. Sometimes it’s just lovely to close the kitchen and head out for something prepared for you. I have the occasional Subway or Kebab. No washing up either :blush:

1 Like

I would say, like most things, in moderation is alright

1 Like

No definitely not.
I am appalled at any such suggestion.
This shows a clear lack of class and common sense. :slightly_smiling_face: :grin:

3 Likes

It’s perfectly acceptable to indulge in fast food at a certain age!
I just prefer to sin at home with a bacon sarnie, a family size bag of KP nuts and a packet or two of Angel Delight!!

Welcome to the forum Liam :+1:

3 Likes

At my age I suspect whatever I eat isn’t going to make much difference. Actually I was trying to remember the last time I had fast food, I think it was last September and probably KFC with my daughter.

I prefer KFC Zinger burgers but like the idea that at Maccas and Hungry Jacks (Burger King to the rest of the world) we seniors get a free coffee.

Personally think fast food is fine but it is just that I rarely eat it.

1 Like

Hi Liam - Welcome to the Forum.
Is a Subway a kind of sandwich in a long bread roll?
If so, I suppose it is just as healthy as other types of sandwiches, depending on the filling you choose.

Before I retired, I often used to buy a salad sandwich for lunch, so I guess that was “fast food” too - it doesn’t seem to have done me any harm.

2 Likes

Acceptable to whom, OP?

I think at all ages, all things in moderation.

so that includes fast food.

Of course some fast food choices are healthier than others so if you are eating fast food more often or you are trying to lose weight or are diabetic etc - then factor that into your choices.

a small Subway likely to be healthier than a huge burger and chips (yes, Boots, Subways are basically long bread rolls with various meat/veg/salad fillings but you can also get wraps or salad bowls) - but even a huge burger and chips, barring medical conrtra-indications ,wont hurt you on a very occasional basis.

Welcome LiamLucas!

Of course it is, we don’t have to become health fanatics or food snobs just because we’re ancient

As long as we don’t overdo it, they’re aren’t any bad foods really, it’s all about balance and a little of what you fancy does you good

I rather enjoy a cheese burger now and then…,……:hamburger::hamburger::hamburger::hamburger::hamburger::hamburger::hamburger::hamburger:

Welcome to this fun forum, Liam!

As to your question, I am the wrong person to answer. I didn’t indulge in fast foods, never grabbed pizza, a burger, or whatever was a quick meal. About twice a year I did get a fish filet at McDonald’s. It just didn’t occur to me. I quite liked my own cooking!

I realize I am in the minority, and can appreciate others treating themselves once in a while. At any age🙂

Welcome aboard Liamlucas :blush:

To be honest, to me, Subway is among one of the healthiest fastfood, and I do indulge, very occasionally though, in a Subway sandwich.

Most of the time it is when I am caught in a very busy day of house chores or work of some sort and do not want to waste any time fixing myself a lunch. I click on my phone and have a nice Subway chicken avocado or ham sandwich delivered to go with my black coffee. I am sure it is much healthier than other fast foods offering deep fried food with no fresh vegetables at all…

Fast foods are certainly not the best for the seniors who have more health issues than in their youth, but it does not mean that they can not indulge once in a while into a burger or fries, I guess as long as it is not frequent.

I normally prefer to do my own homemade batch cooking at week ends and fill the fridge with a lot of mix and match veggies, meats, fruits and berries etc… to bring to work for my lunch… But occasionally indulging in the ‘’ forbidden foods’’ is not problem to me, but not frequent either…

Welcome Liam,

I unfortunately grab to orders quite a bit. Once a week a burgerking impossible whopper or a Marcos Pizza. I would love to be able to cook and clean up more often. Its on my need to get better list. That list usually keeps growing.

Welcome to the forum, Liam!

I haven’t been to a fast food place for a long time. That might have more to do with the pandemic than the food.

Depending on what people pick on the menu, there are probably worse choices of things to eat.

I have the odd Bacon roll or Steak Bake from Gregg’s and eat at the pub twice a week.
Nothing wrong with the occasional indulgence

2 Likes

Its all fine as long as you do the trade off (at any age) don’t consume the stuff then just sit on yer ass, that’s asking for trouble!!

Imo.

1 Like

Thank goodness I don’t have donkey then.

1 Like

2 Likes

If the occasional gluten free pizza doesn’t count, then I don’t know when I last had real fast food, but it has been years. It may not kill you in the short term, but the negative health effects impact quality of life. Simple carbs in general just add to weight when your metabolism slows down. You have to offset with 3 times the amount of exercise and if you can’t exercise then you should avoid them.

I like the occasional take away, but wouldnt eat it too often,
I call this food muck ,
Veg, salad, fruit , my idea of good food ….