Inventions That Change Our Lives

Cochlear Bionic Ear

Gardasil and Cervarix cancer vaccines

Electronic pacemaker

Inflatable escape slide and raft

refrigeration

polymer banknote

Shoes .
Fantastic invention no more sand between the toes for example or walking over rough stony ground that make the sole ot the foot sore or bleed

And electric generators and motors invented by one of my heroes, Michael Faraday. No electric to run the world without him.

Iā€™m surprised you didnā€™t mention the telephone Judd.

When I was at school I was taught the Telephone and the Television were Scottish inventions. Wiki tells you otherwise.

Or Nikola Tesla, alternating current supply.

Hungarianā€¦(What is now Croatia)ā€¦

Do you mean just the black box?

I think the French invented early flight recorders followed by an updated version by the Brits. This could withstand crashes and fire

Just checked out Wikipedia and as far as I can see the reverse seems to be shown on there,
see the third paragraph:

ā€œAlexander Graham Bellā€™s invention of the first practical telephone, John Logie Bairdā€™s invention
of televisionā€

Yes and this is what I was taught at school.

However, google helps you dig a bit deeper ā€¦

Bell & Baird were both born in Scotland but neither were living or working there while doing their vital research. Both were financed abroad working on different aspects of what evolved into their accredited inventions. Neither the phone nor the TV were invented in Scotland.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but how about penicillin? saved millions of lives over the years
Or the printing press,

I see d00d, a rather subtle difference and more like I found quoted online:

Alexander Graham Bell was a Scottish-born scientist and inventor best known for inventing the first working telephone in 1876 and founding the Bell Telephone Company in 1877.

Do you have any of the links from where you found they were living and working at the time?
I would be interested to know more as I couldnā€™t find anything on that :slight_smile:

An industry in which I spent my whole working life. Some interesting facts about this industry, which was the forerunner of what has today changed beyond almost all recognition with the computer and digital printing, can be found on links below if anyoneā€™s interested:

If I listed every British invention and discovery, the post would be a mile long.

The phone being a Scottish invention is a moot point. It was invented by a Scot living and working in the US but some would say that it was Elisha Grey who developed the first phone system and Bell used parts of his design.

Sorry to say that the printing press was invented in Germany, and William Caxton (the father of the British printing) only developed the first printing press in Britain based on the German design.

Not forgetting the ā€˜inventionā€™ of paper makingā€¦ where would we be without it today?

Paper is a thin sheet material produced by mechanically and/or chemically processing cellulose fibres derived from wood, rags, grasses or other vegetable sources in water, draining the water through fine mesh leaving the fibre evenly distributed on the surface, followed by pressing and drying. Although paper was originally made in single sheets by hand, almost all is now made on large machinesā€”some making reels 10 metres wide, running at 2,000 metres per minute and up to 600,000 tonnes a year. It is a versatile material with many uses, including printing, packaging, decorating, writing, cleaning, filter paper, wallpaper, book endpaper, conservation paper, laminated worktops, toilet tissue, currency and security paper and a number of industrial and construction processes.

The papermaking process developed in east Asia, probably China, at least as early as 105 CE,[1] by the Han court eunuch Cai Lun, although the earliest archaeological fragments of paper derive from the 2nd century BCE in China.[2] The modern pulp and paper industry is global, with China leading its production and the United States following.
Wiki

On one of my many working visits to Bilbao, I was taken to see the statue of Alexander Fleming. It was paid for by the prostitutes that worked (and suffered because of syph, etc) in what was the red light district.

Damn, I always thought that Marconi invented Wireless and that WiFi and Bluetooth were merely app spin offs using that technology.

Perhaps my previous post # 56 was missed but there are two links about the printing press, plenty of details to be found on those. Links also repeated below if anyone is interested that is! :wink: :slight_smile:

https://www.psprint.com/resources/pr...press/#table-2