Interesting paintings

Thought people could add a painting they like .
I like the pre Raphaelites and Victorian art

The order of release by John Milais

He also painted the famous Pears advert ‘bubbles ‘

3 Likes

I discovered Yuri Shevchuk a couple of years ago. I absolutely love his paintings. Ukrainian born, now living in Prague, he has painted many, many Prague scenes. But he also paints other cities around the world, as well as musicians, and cars. A very prolific painter, who paints in oils, acrylic, watercolour and pastels.

I have this next one as my iPhone cover - Mr B got it for me for last Christmas.

3 Likes

Amazing work the colour is stupendous.

1 Like

My painting of choice. The Arnolfini Wedding by Jan Van Eyck. The mirror and it’s image is a fantastic feature. Is she pregnant, or just simply gathering her flowing period gown? The dog’s eyes are not looking directly at the viewer, so what has it’s attention? So many questions I have no answers for.

2 Likes

I heard one expert say not, but if that is so, the woman has got something seriously wrong with her. :slightly_frowning_face:

During the period that this painting was sat/stood for, some people were less than the general near perfection we experience today.

And also in that period it seems that artists put things in their paintings that was understood symbolism at the time, but not always understood today. That’s when the experts start guessing.

1 Like

I think that wedding is in the nick of time.

Nah, a long contemplated function, or the artist would not have signed it by putting his monica on the wall above the all too revealing mirror.

I like Turner his atmospherics are wonderful .
He used anything handy to complete his paintings sometimes beer tobacco juice and even spit !

I don’t know whether he started it but Monet,Pissaro ,etc the Impressionists with their use of light and atmosphere have always appealed to me.

I don’t know who started it either, but whoever thought of light as a way of seeing things was a pure genius. :man_artist:

1 Like

Me too, it’s my desktop on this laptop

…and Ophelia on one destop

3 Likes

Corot is another that came before Impressionism.I like a lot.

I like horse paintings, got these on my walls.

I think this one has been made smaller by the modern frame, as it’s cut off the signature & the foals tail. Bought from a fair for £4

Bought from a car boot, also £4.

3 Likes

And among the many horses is a Queen dragon. My very talented friend painted this for me.

1 Like

My absolute favourite painting

3 Likes

Never seen this before but I do think she is pregnant by the way she lays her hand gently on the bump . How old is the painting?

LD said

Nah, a long contemplated function, or the artist would not have signed it by putting his monica on the wall above the all too revealing mirror.

LD can you explain what this means please I’m interested as I dont understand thankyou