Interesting facts

I’ve only known a decimal currency. I think we just get used to what we know, really, and get grumpy when it changes (for no apparent reason!) :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve never understood why people complain that we no longer use pounds, shillings, and pence in the UK when you consider that the shorthand for which was £ s d, based on the Latin monetary units, Librae, solidi, and dinarii.

As for the metric system, it’s been taught in UK schools since the mid sixties starting with the centimetre, gram, second (cgs) system. This later changed to the metre, kilogram, second (mks) system in the late sixties.

In the early seventies this was changed again to the System Internationale (SI). The important thing to note here for us in the UK is the Internationale part.

The SI system incorporates units from all over the world, but also includes units named after famous UK scientists such as Watt, Newton, Faraday, Kelvin, and Joule. Why wouldn’t we want to celebrate their use? Why wouldn’t we want to use these UK units?

As for the USA, they adopted the metric system as the official units of measurement in the late 1800s, but never got around to enforcing it.

4 Likes

A pound of lead weighs more than a pound of gold, but an ounce of gold weighs more than an ounce of lead.

This is because different systems are used to measure them. Avoirdupois weight is used for non-pharmaceutical and non precious metal measurements.
Troy weight is primarily used for precious metals such as gold, silver, and platinum.

4 Likes

When they created half and quarter new pence they must have known they had stuffed up decimalisation. Why on earth wasn’t it a New Pound (value 10/- old money)? far less inflation would have been caused

As for metrication? that was totally stuffed up too. I was at school and one year they introduced CGS units (centimetre, gram,seconds), the following year they said that was a mistake and now it is MKS units (metres,gram,seconds) following which I left school but since then they have obviously worked out that the world uses SI units.

(BTW the CGS/MKS unit thing might have been the other way round but whatever, how can they stuff it up so badly?)

20ºc in Summer is warmer than 20ºc in Winter. Well that’s what my Lovely Cousin says, and she is never wrong. I know this because she told me so.

3 Likes

Here in Victoria when someone says in the winter that the weather is mild they mean warm but if they say it in the summer they mean cold.

1 Like

Undoubtedly she is right. While you are boiling in your 20°C of Summer we are freezing in our 20°C of Winter.

1 Like

I think she’s right Fruitcake. Sometimes I look at the thermometer outside before dressing for my walk, and it might read 15 degrees C as it did this morning. For the last few weeks it has read the same as this morning but felt very cold, whereas this morning I was surprised to find that it was still 15 degrees C but felt very warm. And no it hasn’t stuck… :009:

1 Like

Some information. My field was electrical engineering in the field of power systems. Much of it was in papermills. Some of the mills were around 1930 are still in operation - including Imperil measures.

1 Like

I’m in Texas and one really has to pay attention to the weather comments. There is a big difference between 100°. 100° with no breeze is a lot hotter then 100° with a 15 mph wind. The same when they say 100° with a heat index of 113°. Then you have to see what the humidity level it at, the lower the better.
The same goes during the winter 30° is nice but with a 25 mph wind, the cold will cut you through to the bone. Big differences.

4 Likes

The Met Office website shows a “feels like” temperature.

eg, currently 17, feels like 14

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that, hope you get some sunshine soon. One of the reasons why I escaped, perhaps? :rofl:

2 Likes

5 Likes

Talking of bridges, near me is half a bridge. It’s part of the Malden Dumbarton rail link designed to provide a rail link between Wollongong and the eastern part of Sydney. It was abandoned in 1988.

In June 1988, the incoming Greiner State Government cancelled the project, despite having committed to completing the line in the March 1988 election.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Typical.No mattresses yet though.

3 Likes

Or Tesco Trolley’s…The good news is that 400,000 pounds of rubbish will be a lot lighter on the moon…Easier to shift… :grin:

2 Likes

sorry for being Late on this one Doodee…was feeling like! We have REALFEEL Ha Ha

12 PM

19°

RealFeel® 25°

rain drop0%

Intermittent clouds

ALERTS
Yellow Warning for Flood
6:01 AM Sunday - 12:00 AM Monday

RealFeel Shade™18°

WindENE 7 km/h

Air QualityFair

Max UV Index9 Very High

Wind Gusts13 km/h

Humidity67%

Indoor Humidity64% (Ideal Humidity)

Dew Point13° C

Cloud Cover58%

Visibility16 km

Cloud Ceiling9100 m

then later we Have REALFEELSHADE! haha still trying to reach the clouds, so not sure if its a SET UP!

Thanks, so what’s the weather like there today?

Today the 14 th June 16.07 is warm for shorts and a t shirt. but no all covered as been inside a huge honeysuckle bush/tree in realfeel!
…that has more dead branches inside than the banks ones that have closed down these past years!
I am now on a break as one trailer completely filled up so starting on our 2nd trailer soon…‘‘maybe’ had enough in truth’’