Interesting facts

Yes Besoeker, I have been using metric since 1972 when half the machines were calibrated in metric. The drawings came in imperial and/or metric, I learnt very quickly how to convert imperial to metric and vice versa, but there are still some things that I prefer to keep in imperial like miles and feet. A 1000 metre high mountain means nothing to me, but 3000 foot will be a serious climb…
:mountain:

1 Like

Even though I spent the first twentysix years of my life in London, I never really got the hang of using yards, feet and inches, always preferring the metric system.Probably because I had the best of both worlds, due to my European upbringing on British land, so I learned both types and could choose which one was easier for me :grinning:

1 Like

Ask Alexa

1 Like

My sister won’t ever do metric. Nor my wife - but of course is from the US of A. And my father, a farmer, was yards and bushels and fifty-sixers…

2 Likes

Feet and inches, pounds and ounces, miles and yards…its just easier to me. 7 km for example doesn’t mean anything to me, but 4 and a bit miles does! :laughing:

2 Likes

I find it amazing that we try to preserve the tribal lands and customs of the Aborigines, American Indians and lots of other unique communities and their heritage, but if you are British you must fall into line with the Europeans. One of the reasons I voted for Brexit…

2 Likes

I really don’t enjoy this slow eradication of our history…even if it was a bit warts an’ all back in the day. It was of its time and therefore relevant, to see how we have progressed. To erase certain parts of it just makes a mockery of us. :frowning:

2 Likes

Absolutely Pixie, we are all a product of our history… :+1:

1 Like

No escaping facts.
…The facts are clear if you just read about the History of Europe…
…You are all Europeans by birth…Thanks to the French…they share you know… :two_hearts:

French migration to the United Kingdom - Wikipedia.

In your case OldGreyFox…more of a By Product… :poop: :clown_face:

1 Like

I’m old money and new!

1 Like

Huguenot Society :: About the Society.
50,000…no mean amount of people descended on the UK …

Many British people have French ancestry. According to a 2010 study by Ancestry.co.uk, three million British people are of French descent.

Who Were the French Huguenots? - Who Is Jean Ribault? French Huguenots In Florida.

:crazy_face:

1 Like

History of the Huguenots in Kent - Wikipedia.

Although Louis XIV banned the Huguenot’s right to leave the country, 200,000 Protestants did manage to escape; 50,000 of those went to England, in the second significant wave of migration. England had long been seen as a Protestant haven for those seeking religious persecution.

There’s a lovely bit of London I like to visit, off Brick Lane, where Huguenots lived and worked.

3 Likes

What about your groceries ? For example 120g of ham or Philadelpha 165g etc…

1 Like

Ham comes in a tin, or slices, same with cheese…its slices or a tub…small, medium or large.

When I ate mince a few years ago, I went to the butchers and asked for two scoops. He looked at me like I was daft…“Its no ice cream, hen” he said “Yer no gettin’ a flake wi’ that!” :lol:

4 Likes

That made me laugh, Pixie! :smile:

1 Like

Yes, but they are still metric measures. Bertolli (margarine) is 450mg, Orange&Clementine 750mg - no Imper measures.

1 Like

A bit more information if I may. I was around my teens when decimal currency was introduced as opposed to Pounds And Shillings. Some years later I first introduce metric, or more accurately, system international (SI).

1 Like