Inguinal Hernia Repair Repair Repeatedly Delayed

No, the title isn’t wrong - my 2002 hernia repair needs a repair, but (fortunately?) only one side.

I was referred to a consultant over a year ago but, due to his insistence on my having various scans, I didn’t get a surgery date until November.

That surgery date was January 8th - my surgery was cancelled on the day (but before I left home) owing to lack of beds.

The next date was February 5th and that was cancelled the day before because the surgeon was unavailable.

The next date was today - I made it all the way to meeting the operating team before surgery was again cancelled to lack of beds … :frowning:

I did get offered a cup of tea before leaving but that didn’t make up for the apprehension, disappointment and frustration … :mad2:

Oh well, I think I’ll have some porridge and go for a nap … :015:

1 Like

Oh dear, I hope you can get it done soon.

Many thanks - I’ve been put on a priority list, but that doesn’t make beds available … :expressionless:

My porridge and painkillers was nice … :wink:

You poor thing, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.:slight_smile:

Terrible news. Take it easy and hang out here; I like to think that we don’t tend to cause too many people to over-exert themselves physically around here. ;-).

Ugh, waiting is the worst…

Far too much of this going on these days. Hope you can get it done soon. What annoys me is “we won’t do the operation until you lose weight.” They forget we are no longer slim young active things on the go all the time. My friend is a size 14, That to me is fine for someone going on 70 and who has heart trouble so can’t exercise too much. She has been this size since we first met almost 40 years ago, she’s not fat at all. I think it’s a cost cutting exercise by the hospitals.

Many thanks - I will take your advice … :slight_smile:

Many thanks - perhaps next time the hospital will reserve a bed for me … :102:

Hope you get it done soon; it must have been terrible for you with all the cancellations.

This happened to my husband when he was waiting for his knee replacement, in the end we complained to the hospital and ended up talking to the ombudsman, oddly suddenly they had a bed and a surgeon free the next week. Operation went ahead with no more delays. It might be worth trying that Omah CAB has all the information you need or you can google it yourself I think.

Many thanks - yesterday was the worst - I was just outside the operating suite and had been “marked-up” by the surgeon … :frowning:

Many thanks - I may have to do that - it seems that I am at the top of the list for surgery (because of the delays), but bottom of the list for overnight accommodation (because my condition is minor and not life-threatening) … :frowning:

I feel lucky and grateful that my cancer treatment has been quick and mainly trouble free but think that whatever is wrong with you, the treatment can be patchy depending on any number of factors.

I’m sorry you’ve had such a bad time of it and wish you all he best for some more speedy treatment.

Poor you, Omah, that must be awful never knowing whether they will do it this time or not, especially as you got as far as the operating suite.

I do hope you aren’t sent away again next time.
Good luck.

Many thanks - Perhaps the bed issue will improve now spring is here and “ailments” decline … :slight_smile:

Good News - I am booked in again (as URGENT) for 9th April … :!:

Bad News - it’s a 7am admission time … :frowning:

Still a bit of wait.
Too early, but you might grab a bed this time.

If I do, it’ll still be warm from the previous occupant … :lol:

Good deal. An early admission means your doctor and team are clear-headed, rested, and ready to go. Plus, you’ll be able to sleep the rest of the day away. :wink: Good luck!

Ewwwww.

Many thanks … :smiley: