I'm Thinking Of Getting a Rescue Dog To Adopt Me!

We’ve always had dogs, around the place, but in the 9 years since my wife died, I’ve been nervous about taking another one on.

The last ones were a pair of German Shepherds, from a local rescue centre, and we were amazed at how well trained they were, but they were quite old when we got them and we had to go through that terrible sense of loss as they reached the end of their lives.

They walked me, twice a day, and taught me how to throw toys, run around the local parks & all the things they can do!

Question is, in my mid eighties, would it be fair to give it one more go?

Another one, like them, and I’d jump at the chance.

But would the rescue centre?

3 Likes

Would you try fostering?

1 Like

I think it all depends on how fit you are Ted, and how old would the Rescue Dog be.
Good luck though, its a nice thought.

If it meant taking a dog in, for a few weeks, and then giving it back, I wouldn’t.

I’d rather chose one that choses me & commit to that.

I hope you get a companion Ted, I live alone, it can get lonely, my Jack is a great companion, why not phone them up ,they may be able to come up with a match, best you visit the dog pound.

Jack chose me, cheeky little blighter he was,:heartpulse:

1 Like

I’m as fit as a butchers dog, as they say.

No impediments, but could use more exercise!

Thanks Pauline, I plan to do that, subject to the advice I get.

(would have done it earlier but I think Covid may have caused visiting restrictions.}

Good Luck Ted
I have found that rescues are full of gate keepers on the look out not for a good home but a utopian one .

Then there’s your answer Ted :+1:

1 Like

They do check people out, Muddy, and, I guess that’s good, depending on what the pass guidelines are.

I suspect that age might be an issue!

Ted, you could adopt an elderly dog, they are usually crying out for people to adopt those, as most only want young dogs or puppies.

1 Like

That’s a useful thought.

Thanks, Tiffany

1 Like

I volunteer for SBT welfare/rescue and have to say quite a few people singles and couples were in their 80’s and they were brilliant homes for older dogs or dogs who would be suitable for them exercise wise.

@Tedc
I think choose your breed/rescue and make contact you sound like a home made in heaven

We also sometimes did long term permeant fostering of oldies (dogs not people) LOL

I fail fostered 4 oldies health issue dogs and found it not as hard as I thought as I knew they had a sofa/love and attention in their later days does everyone not want need this?

4 Likes

@Tedc Good luck

Thanks, Kazz!

1 Like

Dogs are good for people in lots of ways not just the walking.I think it’s a good idea.

3 Likes

Hi

I would love a dog.

It would not be fair on the dog.

I spend too much time in hospital.

I look after the French Bulldog from time to time, babysitting really, great fun.

It cannot be a long term thing.

1 Like

FWIW.
I got a dog (Max) from a rescue centre. I would have got him immediately but the rescue centre wouldn’t have that. We had to walk him for about a week before we could keep him. And that was the responsible thing to do.

Age? I’m 75. My wife and I walk Max and another dog in the morning then I do a longer stint myself in the afternoon. Rain or shine.

I wish you luck with your venture!

4 Likes

@Tedc, Donkeylady and myself are in same boat as you Ted !!
We would both love another dog,( or cat) But we feel it would not be fair
on the animal for the same reasons as you!
Maybe if we got a sufficiently old animal that would peg off before us, but
older animals come with their own problems don’t they and we will have our own problems pretty soon as well so we have decided not to?
Good luck!
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

Ted, may I make a suggestion?
Have a look at Dogs Trust near you.

Rescue & Rehoming Dogs | Newbury (Berkshire) | Dogs Trustn

I was talking to them not long ago and I know they rehome to us oldies providing everything is suitable of course.
No harm in looking ey. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like