If you owned a Restaurant what style of food would you serve?

I would serve Home Style meals, not fancy stuff. Roasts, with all the trimmings, Rissoles and Mash, Beef Stew,
Traditional Shepherds Pie, (using shredded left over roast lamb) Salmon/Tuna Patties. Bangers and Mash.
Apple Pie, Wine Trifle, Cheesecake, Baked Pudding, Rhubarb Crumble, Pavlova.
Restaurant would be called, Granma’s Home Cooking

5 Likes

Nah nothing so fancy or sophisticated as that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

When I got my permit I would offer boiled hooman beans with a special sauce or ‘gravy’.

I can think of no better use for some than to make a meal out of them. :yum:

I have some really good ideas for the “condiments” to go with these meals but as they will be a secret part of the recipe I’d have to kill you if I tolja. ( or so I have heard ) :innocent:

And believe me there’d be no shortage of main ingredients. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :bone: :bone: :bone: :bone:

Oh I nearly forgot … I’d also offer some especially fermented brewed “lagers” and “wines” as freebies to customers to encourage them to eat up heartily.

1 Like

Medieval Grub

That would be my restaurant, plenty of scope for the menu and decor historically speaking.

It’d have to be very, very well thought through. I wouldn’t want it to have that corny Hollywood look or feel.

The proprietor would not be dressed up in doublet and hose…a sure way to lose customers!

2631167_orig

2 Likes

Gee Chilliboot, I thought my menu was worrying enough but from what I’ve read of some of the horrendous? things that people ate back in medieval times then I’m less worried about mine now.

So many things that we would not want near our mouths today, but many simply had no choice.

I guess it depends on what section of society you ‘belonged to’ back then.
I’m certain some ate well but as for the majority ?? :thinking:

3 Likes

The menu, standards of hygiene etc would be adapted according to today’s rigorous standards.

Nobody suffering with the pestilence will be admitted without a face mask :mask: :wink:

3 Likes

Being around food all day would make me sick.Just meal times is enough for me.

2 Likes

@Bretrick My eatery would have a traditional English menu and by that I mean meat and three veg type of nosh. Nothing fancy or poncey, just good honest decent portion sized meals for hungry customers.

5 Likes

Same here LD.
You can`t beet a good roast followed by a home made apple crumble.

3 Likes

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm … APPLE CRUMBLE :+1::grin:

4 Likes

Kangaroo meat meals, if customes didn’t like it they would hopping mad

1 Like

Having made loads of fancy sandwich trays with my family for a myriad of groups that Mother, Grandma and Granduncle had, I’d offer a similar fare.

Sandwiches, finger-style, pinwheels, loaf-style with cream cheese. Typical flavours would be roast beef salad with mustard or horseradish, chicken or turkey salad, the latter with either stuffing or cranberry sauce. Tuna mayo with dill, egg salad, sliced (as my son loved) or traditional.

Notice that I don’t offer salmon, sorry allergic… Lol! Colourful sandwiches would have a cream cheese filling with loads of ham slices. Prawn mayo with mixed leaves on malted bread. Subs and Chuckwagons, of course plus a pepperoni pizza sub. Pastrami on rye. Yummy!

An assortment of pickles, Italian tomato salads and coleslaw and variety of fresh cheeses and the piece de résistance, 2 daily soups.

Anyone hungry yet?

2 Likes

With cinnamon!!! :+1:

1 Like

I’m starved but OldBloke and Chilli have put me right off!

Not sure really about you lot with your non-poncey home cooked stuff either.

Why would people go to a restaurant to eat that out when they could just have it at home?

You can all come round to mine and I’ll knock you up roast dinner and apple crumble if you like!

If I go out to eat, I like something different that I wouldn’t cook myself, otherwise I’m hypercritical, so I’d have to hire a chef for this imaginary restaurant, probably Lebanese or Greek :amphora:

On the other hand, if I’m doing the cooking I think I’ll open a true Brit “Greasy Spoon”

I think it’s such a shame they’re dying out, even at the seaside. I had a Saturday job in one when I was a teenager and there’s nothing like a good “caff”

So it’s full English breakfasts, sausage butties, strong tea, omelettes, steak, chops, gammon, fish, everything with real fried chips. Lumps of home made bread pudding and apple pie and custard for pud :yum:

I reckon it would be retro enough to catch on :+1:

4 Likes

Hmm… I’m very much coming around to that way of thinking, you might struggle with sourcing a few bottles of Daddies Sauce for your most favoured customers.

Don’t entirely dismiss my clay baked pike, pottages and gingerbreads.

Lampreys will not be on the menu!

3 Likes

Yes, definitely with copious amounts of cinnamon :+1:

2 Likes

If you open such a restaurant I want to come😀
Cod and chips essential…no peas.

2 Likes

I like eating Asian food. It’s not always easy to find what I like. I’d open an Asian restaurant with all my favorites so I can eat them when I want.

4 Likes

A generous discount on haddock for forum members wouldn’t go amiss :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yum yum. There is a pub/hotel near us that does a carvery on a Sunday and two days in the week. It’s very very popular, you have to book well in advance on a Sunday. The food is excellent, the meat portions large and the fabulous local beef not over cooked. There are plenty of customers for something similar.

The pub also does a “pensioners lunch” in the week. You get 2 courses plus decent tea/coffee for £13. There’s a good choice as well and the puddings are amazing. There is a high number of retired people in our part of the world and these things are very very popular.

I would do both of these

4 Likes

That sounds good to me Mr Mb.
Where are you in this world.