If Robots Take Our Jobs, What Will Be Left for Humans to Do? | WIRED

This video is 5 years old. Since then, AI has been progressing. The question remains. This is more from the individual’s point of view. What the government does in response is a question for another thread.

What will humans do if robots take all of the jobs?

www.sciencealert.com/wealthy-humans-could-live-forever-as-cy…

Humans Will Be Cyborgs Within 200 Years, Expert Predicts 29 May 2015 By Fiona MacDonald (Pascal/Flickr)

Within the next 200 years, humans will have become so merged with technology that we’ll have evolved into “God-like cyborgs”, according to Yuval Noah Harari, an historian and author from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel.

A good chunk of the population have been in training for this very scenario for a while now :icon_wink:

Copulate!! That’s summat a robot couldn’t do for an end result :wink::grin:

Heard a lot about Harari. Assuming he’s right, what would those God-like cyborgs do?

That’s the first answer in the video as well. But unless humans are going to acquire more staying power, there will be a lot of hours left in the day to fill.

I would become an MP,if you cant beat them,join them.
Anyway,robots know what information humans give them.

1 Like

What humans?
The people that are presently in control assume that there won’t be many humans left to worry about. The cull has already started…

1 Like

Would the elimination of humans come first or the robot takeover of jobs first? I’m guessing it would be the robot takeover of jobs first. 7 billion people is a lot of people without a global catastrophe in an instant. Humans are pretty resilient.

Humans won’t be eliminated Butterscotch. People of a certain age in the UK are classed as ‘Baby Boomers’ After WW2 there was a shortage of menfolk, so as well as things like ‘Windrush’ and child allowance, where families were paid to have plenty of kids…There were other ways to bolster up the population for the future.
It took a generation for all those extra kids and others to reach old age. We now have a situation where the population in the UK is ‘Top Heavy’ too many old folk and not enough people working and contributing to the nation purse to support them.

In order to cull a population it will take a generation to reverse the trend. There are too many ways in which to prevent continued growth of the population to mention in this post, but I’m sure anyone can see the multitude of methods used to prevent further population growth, and even reductions in the population of the world in general. Think long term.

1 Like

Interesting. A good many years my music teacher commented on the same thing. He expected that automation would decimate industry. It has. What next?

No one knows, no more guessing, no comment.

In the long term, many people are predicting that the robots will kill off the humans. I was just wondering what humans would do to create some purpose before then. :thinking: :wink:

Automation is wonderful, it releases humans from mind numbingly tedious tasks. BUT there are times when the robots stuff up and have to be switched to manual mode, after all they are programmed by humans and not prepared for every eventuality.

There will always be a place for humans in the workforce. I don’t know what it is though.

The problem is what, we have great difficulty predicting the future, let’s face it “1984” is the 1950s with more TVs, who predicted people would mainly use computers for writing? who predicted the fax machine? or mobile phones with cameras? I never saw any of that in The Eagle when I was a kid, it was all self driving cars and self cleaning houses.

Right now in Asia robots are everywhere. I have one making daily deliveries to me up to my room, bringing me coffee, sandwiches etc….

Yesterday I scolded it when it entered the lift before I could get out of it, telling it basic politeness was to let people get out of the lift before getting in itself as it is a rather big robot. It immediately backed off and let me get off the lift first.

My friend was holidaying in Tokyo and the whole week their hotel reception was serviced by robots, they did not see any humans apart from other patrons of course.

1 Like

You need a supply of Atomic Thunderbusters :grin:

How has it affected the economy? Are there still enough jobs available?

Difficult for me to answer as ,so far , these Robots are met whenever I travel around in Asia for holidays there are not in the country I normally reside in.

1 Like

Not a hotel I’ll be frequenting mei…
:astonished:

1 Like

I wish these robots wouldn’t keep on packing tinned goods with the bananas!

Well the silver lining was you could talk to the robot at the reception in any language you wanted and it would understand. :rofl:

2 Likes