What work of fiction was the best at predicting the future?

Continuing the discussion from If Robots Take Our Jobs, What Will Be Left for Humans to Do? | WIRED:

I remember going to Disneyland and watching the Tomorrowland show. The gadgets looked futuristic but not very exciting for a young kid.

Since then I’ve been intrigued by fictional depictions of the future. The Jetsons. Star Trek.

I’ve sometimes wondered if the fictional representation affected the innovation or if the imaginings of the creators of the fiction were just looking at what existed and pushing it a bit further.

I’m thinking of com badges on Star Trek or the Holodeck or the transporter.

Which work of fiction was most accurate in predicting the technology advances that occurred?

1 Like

Yep, Star Trek for me too Butterscotch…Those little communicators are much the same as today’s mobile phones. Also, injections without using needles, just a very small jet of substance finer than the pores of your skin…

3 Likes

Hi

I agree. The spray injections are already in use but only under the tongue.

They are being trialled for some meds for onto the skin.

Voice commands are already here as is firing missiles by eye.

Steaith aircraft were flying 40 years ago, makes you wonder what the military have now

3 Likes

Spare :scream: :roll_eyes:

I love Star Trek, and The Orville is brilliant as well - anyone seen that?

Now that has got me intruiged where can I watch this ?

1 Like

I remember many years ago watching a TV series , one was V and the other was about a world where people were controlled . Ive some memory of a huge ball chasing any escapees . During one of the scenes one main character lived in a small futuristic room , in the room was a box like thing that pinged and told him his dinner was now ready and in the wall a talking female voice welcomed him home . At the time all this seemed Sci fi and impossible but we now have microwaves and Alexa who turns lights on and off and talks to us . It’s so annoying as I can see the scenes in my mind but can’t remember the series . Who’s memory have I jolted ?

2 Likes

The series was …The Prisoner…Susan

3 Likes

Harry Potter…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Seasons 1 + 2 are available on Amazon Prime and AppleTV if you’ve got those Susan. If not:

The Orville’s first and second seasons originally aired on FOX, and the show has now moved to Disney+ in the UK for season three.

A Disney+ subscription is priced at £7.99 per month, or £79.99 per year.

There’s also STAR, launched on the service in early 2021 in the UK.

If you’d prefer to download and keep episodes of The Orville, you’ve also got the option to do that for seasons 1 and 2 via Amazon (and you don’t need to have a Prime subscription). Individual episodes are priced at £2.49 in HD, and a whole season (12 episodes in season 1, 14 episodes in season 2) is £14.99 in HD.

You’ve also got the option of purchasing season 1 and 2 episodes on a download and keep basis via iTunes. Here, you’ll have to commit to a full season, priced at £14.99.

From here:

1 Like

You might want to check the Disney+ price if you want to subscribe. Since this article was written, the price has gone up unless you’re willing to get ads. Disney+ just added an ad tier level and increased the price of their no-ad subscription. The price increase applies in the UK. I’ve seen people from the UK on YouTube talking about it.

1 Like

The Prisoner , yes of course, isn’t it infuriating when your memory can get a name yet can see it unfolding.
So many futuristic films have come into being .

I wonder the next 50 years?

Will check out Orville thankyou

I think few series can claim to have not only predicted but actually shaped the future as Trek did. Engineers and scientists watched it, and much of what we use today in normal technology was because they invented stuff based on ideas in the show. As has been said already, the communicators, the injections, also the discs that went into the computer (floppy discs before there were any?) and of course personal transporters - what? You don’t? You don’t mean to tell me you still travel the conventional way? Oh dear. It is the 24th century you know! What? It isn’t? That damned time machine salesman !I knew he looked shifty! What century is this then? Now calm down; I’ll be all right as long as it’s not the twenty-first. Anything but the…

1 Like