If I replace my Smart Meter with Analogue, BUT my neighbors still have Smart Meters, am I going to have any EMF problems in my home?

I’m currently in the home-buying process, and some of the homes I’m looking at have Smart Meters installed. Thankfully, I live somewhere where we can easily opt-out and have an Analogue Meter installed by the utility company, so making that modification would not be too difficult. However, I’m concerned about my house’s close proximity to other neighboring houses that DO have smart meters installed in them.

My question is, could my neighbor’s smart meter setups still affect me in my house? If so, what general distance would you need to be away from a neighboring one, in order to keep a low level of EMF in the house? Also, could some of their smart meter electricity “cross over” into my lines and give me some unwanted EMF in my home? Or do I not need to consider any of that, and if I simply replace my smart with analogue, I am good to go?

I thought that smart meters just used wifi to send meter readings to the utility companies? Or is that not the case?

Might be worth getting an EMF meter to check?

As you are in the USA and most of us are in the UK I don’t think we can help much sorry but welcome anyway

1 Like

I don’t believe so. Emissions are mostly from the power wiring from your home whether you have an analogue or digital meter. As it happens I am an electrical engineer and I am not aware of any significant EMF problems in residential houses.

2 Likes

Don’t smart meters just use a mobile phone SIM to phone home? so unless you are going to take your neighbour’s mobile phones off them it won’t make the slightest difference.

1 Like

In the UK I thought they just used your wireless network (still not something I’d want, I’d rather they use their own sim! :lol:)

I don’t know much about smart meters and I’m not sure if I dreamt this, but I thought I read they can tell you your usage for various things? If so how do they do that?

I can only go by things like this but I am sure I read somewhere that they use a SIM and WiFi to contact the remote thingy to allow you to monitor your usage.

The phone connection would allow them to reprogram them and change the way of charging as mentioned in the video the main danger is that they would charge for apparent power (VA) rather than real power (watts)

My electric company keeps failing to change my old meters for a smart meter but even then I wonder how they would communicate because the outside meter box is steel and therefore a Faraday cage

1 Like

Wow this is a whole new world of health angst - apparently (other than diagnostics) your biggest risk is living near a mobile phone mast or power line. Now that is interesting as I’ve just checked where a friend with a serious cancer lived for many years and there is an overhead power line right outside the house. My theory is that some individuals are at risk with the majority being unaffected. Until they identify who is more susceptible they can’t really study this area accurately. But I bet it’s genetic.

1 Like

Television masts are one of the worst, but yes, power lines and phone masts too.

Wenvoe that serves Cardiff and the surrounding areas was reported to have a significantly higher rate of cancer. Not sure what the rates are like for other large masts, but I certainly wouldn’t want to live anywhere near one.

Even devices like phones and iPads - when I use my iPad for reading I switch it into airplane mode (so no wifi etc). I only carry my phone in my pocket when I’m out, and when on hikes I put it in airplane mode as I don’t want to be disturbed up there anyway…

1 Like

Azz I used to switch the wifi off at night for years because I thought it meant a better night’s sleep. However, I wasn’t very popular for doing that so stopped. Also we are now so reliant on wifi signals for everything. I’ve moaned and groaned about the risks of this for years (not the health risks but vulnerability if the whole system goes down).

I have been to places where wifi and electricity do not exist and it’s amazing what a peaceful night’s sleep you have in these locations. One was in the Dana nature reserve in Jordan. Electricity was only on for part of the day (probably via a generator) so at night nothing and you would wake up so refreshed. Also in parts of the lake district in bunkhouses and such, no signal (back then) and no leccy - so much more relaxing.

We don’t realise how much stress our brains are constantly under from all these signals, but there’s no getting away from it without moving to one of these tin foil hat villages off grid in the US or elsewhere.

1 Like

Funny you should say that Annie - I once moved our wifi router upstairs as I thought that would give me a better signal as I basically work from my bedroom. Well, it gave me headaches!!! Soon as I moved it back downstairs, they stopped!

I think turning the wifi off at night is very sensible. I wish they made ‘smart’ routers that went into a low power mode with inactivity during the night.

Sounds amazing :023:

1 Like

Bulb FAQ:

https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360035479811#Do-I-need-an-internet-connection-to-get-a-smart-meter

Do I need an internet connection to get a smart meter?

No. You don’t need Wif-Fi or an internet connection to get a smart meter.

Smart meters send readings to suppliers via a dedicated smart network. It doesn’t rely on your home Wi-Fi.

But the In-Home Displays we supply are able to connect to Wi-Fi. In the future, if you choose to connect your display to Wi-Fi, you will see more detailed information in your Bulb account online.

Are smart meters dangerous to my health?

Smart meters use radio waves or a mobile signal to send meter readings to your energy supplier, on a par with baby monitors and mobile devices.

Public Health England consider this to be well within the allowed guidelines for wireless transmission devices.

UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) - Smart meters: radio waves and health

Are some people sensitive to radio waves?

Some people report real and unpleasant symptoms that they attribute to exposure to radio waves. Considerable effort has been put into investigating this topic rigorously in recent years with research programmes funded by the government and academic bodies. The results of these studies have been published in the scientific literature.

The 2012 AGNIR review mentioned above included a chapter on the evidence for sensitivity to radio waves. AGNIR concluded there is accumulating evidence that radio wave exposures below guideline levels do not cause symptoms and cannot be detected by people, even those who consider themselves sensitive to radio waves.

This conclusion does not belittle the importance of the symptoms that people experience, but it does suggest causes other than those directly related to radio waves should be considered. The Health Protection Agency, a predecessor of UKHSA, published a review of the public health aspects of electrical sensitivity in 2005, which included comments on the management of affected individuals and evaluation of treatment options.

Well, they would say that, wouldn’t they … :roll_eyes:

ETA I had a first generation smart meter for years, now I’m on the second generation:

SMETS1 smart meters
SMETS1 meters were the first generation of smart meters, which energy suppliers started to install in 2013. They were fitted with the same kind of 3G sim card that you could find in a mobile phone, so they could update the supplier at set intervals.

The problem was, if you changed supplier, many of these types of meters stopped sending automatic readings.

SMETS2 smart meters
Since then, we’ve seen the launch of the next generation of smart meters, named SMETS2. These have all the same energy-saving features of the last generation.

But the added bonus is SMETS 2 smart meters are cross-compatible with other SMETS2-ready energy suppliers. The software used in these smart meters is able to exchange and make use of information from other SMETS2 meters. So if you switch supplier, you won’t need a meter exchange, and you won’t lose your smart meter features.

AFAIK, I haven’t been affected by radio waves … :105:

1 Like

What’s up fellow UK peeps, I did not know this was a UK forum before I made my post. But yes, smart meters are absolutely 100% harmful to your health. Even if you don’t have an EMF sensitivity, there are still lots of long-term health consequences for ANYONE who is constantly exposed to these meters. They emit high amounts of RF radiation into your home, as well as dirty electricity. You’re at risk of developing health complications when you’re around wireless-emitting devices. Mobile phones, smart meters, WiFi routers, anything that has wireless capabilities (Xbox, PS4, Cordless Phones, iPads, Baby Monitors, Smart TV’s, AirPods, Alexa, etc) ALL emit EMF’s which are harmful to humans.

This information is buried, and replaced with positive fake info to fool the public. Do not be fooled, this trash is HARMFUL TO YOU.

Here are a few links to check out if you would like to do your own research:

Videos:

Admin edit: this site looks suspicious, visit at own risk:
https://worldtruthvideos.website/watch/5g-a-warning-from-a-microwave-weapons-expert-barrie-trower_BO287jlFclAX3dQ.html?lang=english

Articles:

https://stopsmartmeters.org/

http://www.electricalpollution.com/solutions_detailed.html

About an hour after I wrote about my electrical box being a faraday cage I think I discovered the answer on my walk to the train. Da da…

That is a new building just down the road from me which would have a smart meter and as you can see it has an aerial fixture

You are more than welcome here…!

I moved house and the smart meter was already here. I grumbled about it, but couldn’t get it removed. I’ve since learned to live with it, and it has been quite useful at times, I admit. I still really dislike my energy use being monitored though - especially when I submit readings and the company says “Oh we already read your meter a few days ago, no need to update us quite yet”
Creepy :scream:

Well, I am not in the UK, in fact I am further from the UK than you, it’s an international forum

1 Like

I concur.