I need help to set a booby trap please

Hi Carol, there is some more information here regarding the gas supply network. The people that charge you aren’t necessarily the same people that are responsible for the supply pipe, so it may well be worth getting more information from those people, particularly as your supply isn’t secure at the moment? Nothing to lose by asking anyway perhaps …

The only company who will move the meter is my local network distributer & they charge somewhere in the region of £1,000 to move it where it needs to be.

I’ve tried - I’ve given up. Just can’t be bothered with it all.

I’ve now applied the sticky paint along with a warning.

I’ve got a smart meter so we don’t have to open the door ever again.

https://i.postimg.cc/c401NWsQ/meter-paint.jpg

:023:
Good for you Carol. :smiley: You have tried everything to get help, and nobody will, so who could blame you for taking matters into your own hands? Bravo!

Good luck then Carol, hope it works… :slight_smile:

Did you think about getting the trail camera I suggested earlier? They are very cheap and you would have proof of their activities.

Hi Bruce, thanks for the suggestion but I’m really not all that bothered. I’m not interested in filming them, even if the camera is cheap.

I don’t imagine they’ll attempt anything now the sticky vandal paint is on.

Is it low down ,your meter and the sticky paint Carol. Also is it a long the track where the public walk?

You may have problems if it is, just read up about it online.

Carol ,if it is your neighbours, who have tampered with your gas box, they don’t need to touch it, they could use a crowbar on it, it may sound far fetched, but you will be surprised what some people will do if they have a vendetta against you…

I hope this won’t be the case.

Hi Pauline - yes it’s low down but there’s no reason for anybody to walk so close that they’re touching the wall.

The thought has crossed my mind that a small child could touch it. We would have to deal with that situation if it happened.

Other than that I would imagine the warning sign would be enough to deter anybody.

Carol,I read online something about clothing, …there was more to it,but didn’t read further, then it read that they could sue you.

Just be careful, as I would hate to see that sort of thing happen to you, …

Hopefully with the paint and the warning, people will leave it alone now, Carol. No point in wondering what if’s…you can’t take responsibility for other peoples recklessness. :smiley:

Yes, the thought crossed my mind about kids and pets too.

It’s not toxic. I made sure of that.

It will just make a black mess on whoever touches it.

Pauline is right .What if it gets on clothing you could find yourself forking out ££s in costs . I think a camera would’ve been safer , practical the meter box doesn’t exactly look attractive now surrounded by black sticky paint …and you’d have evidence

I’ve looked into this sort of thing in the past. All the Law requires is for you to put up a warning sign. That alone will absolve you legally if anyone is daft enough to touch the paint and get it on their clothing. If they try to take you to court, all you have to do is provide a photograph showing the sign was in place when they got the paint on them.

I didn’t know that ,well its got a clear warning notice
I still think a camera would be preferable.:slight_smile:
I hope it’s an end to it.

I don’t quite know what the police would do with camera evidence.

They’d have to find the culprits first (assuming it’s not our nasty neighbour) & how do they do that in a village of 7,000 people?

If, by some chance they knew who the vandals were they’d probably just give them a slap on the wrist…

I have zero faith in our local police.
Our shop was robbed once & we gave the police a good description of the person who ran off with goods stuffed up their jumper & an armful of smaller items but they never found them…

We also had the house burgled in the middle of the night while we were all asleep. The police didn’t find them either & we never got our stolen items back.

Personally if we had our vandals on camera & showed it to the police I don’t think they’d be very concerned - probably too trivial for them!

Thanks for the information Percy Vere. There is a very clear warning so if they touch it, it’s not my fault.

I’m not really bothered that it doesn’t look very nice.:cool:

I imagine with camera evidence of the attack you would at least be able to see if the neighbours were involved, perhaps even able to identify the criminals.
They might even be known to the police.

Yes but I’m not technology minded. My husband has Alzheimers and I have to do everything in the way I see best.

I know nothing about spy cameras & how they work.

Who would advise me on what camera would be best?

Who would fix it up for us?

What seems a simple solution to some people is not so simple to another…

If you don’t want to video them have you considered one of these?