I need help to set a booby trap please

Some of you who have read the saga of my bollard will know that I haven’t got very nice neighbours.

In the past few months my gas meter cupboard door has been torn away three times. After the second time the hinges were completely broken so I stuck it back with Gaff tape.

Now somebody has torn all the Gaffa tape off and thrown the door on the ground.

I have thought of sticking the door back on with Gaffa tape & then coating the Gaffa tape with 'security’paint - the type that doesn’t dry.

It is very slippery & will stain the vandals hands & clothes but do them no harm.

What do you reckon - is it a stupid idea?

What would you do?

Give it a try, Carol. You’ve got nothing to lose other than a few quid that the paint will cost.

Yep, I would totally do that. What on earth is this neighbour capable of. I would also report it to your gas board, and see if you can get the meter put inside your house. Film it too, if you can, then if you get “whoever” it is on film, take it to the police. Or an alarm - one of those shrieking female alarms or car alarms.

1 Like

Oh, great idea Pixie :023:. Tie a rape alarm to something inside the meter cupboard and the ring pull to the door. The next time someone pulls the door off, all hell will break loose.

Exactly! :twisted::twisted: Might give Carol a bit of a fright though :frowning:

1 Like

I would say that it’s a lovely idea with the paint, but may only serve to cause more bad feeling and even greater retribution. Is the box accessible to the public in some way then, rather than being on your private property? Could you perhaps fix up a security camera to try to catch the culprit?

You may be advised first though to call your gas supplier to ask if the box could be replaced with a new one, as without the door it is insecure and could be dangerous if the meter itself is tampered with. Another solution perhaps is to have a new frame and door made which would bolt to the wall around the existing box and could be made lockable, which wouldn’t prove difficult to any reasonable DIY person. :slight_smile:

video evidence is the way to go if possible.there are cameras that get triggered by movement. even a dummy camera may deter

1 Like

I go along with Realspeed on that…causing injury or damage to you neighbours will get you a lot of grief…the law seems to favour the villain I’m afraid, get your evidence, show the gas board and police.

1 Like

Good Grief! Carol, what sort of neighbours do you have to do such a despicable thing?

I think to retaliate shows them you are bothered and l wouldn’t spend money on anything to get back at them.

I think you should report it to the Utility people and even tell the police. If these people do this now, what will they do in the future?

I really feel for you, they make Swimmy’s neighbours look like nice people!

Not knowing exactly which rules apply in the UK I’d check with the police before installing a camera.

Over here we’re allowed to set up a camera as long as it only covers our own property ie house, garden and driveway. We’re not allowed to direct it out towards the street.

As I say, legislation in the UK may be different, but better safe than sorry.

And I hope you catch the buggers redhanded!!!

That’s why I don’t want to go to any expense with camera’s or new boxes. I have already been told by the utility company that I will have to pay for my own.

I think I will settle for the security paint that doesn’t dry. It doesn’t cost much & hopefully when they get a black sticky mess on their fingers they won’t bother again…

I already started a log with our local police when they sabotaged my bollard.

If things get worse I will contact the police again via my log…

The bollard has remained untouched since that single time.

My meter cupboard in on the outside of a lane that is used by the public. Thinking about it now, I realise that it doesn’t even have to be the neighbours who tore off the cupboard door…

Maybe a group of youths who use the lane to short cut to the park?

Who knows? :confused:

your meter cupboard shoud be on your property not out on the public street. I would get on to the utility company to have it moved at their expense. i would take a photo and send it to the head office with a strong letter of complaint and tell them it has to be moved due to vandelism.

It might even be illegal to have it out on the street, especially b eing a gas meter. If you get no success then health and safety is the next step . definately a letter from a solicitor saying you are afaid of an explosion being where it is. I would also point out that you are NOT responsible for a meter cupboard on the street only if it is on your property. maybe demand a Gas authourity inspector checks as well on site

1 Like

Next time there is a Neighbours from Hell tv program, you should contact the producers and ask if you can be on it. That would certainly give your neighbour some unwanted attention :slight_smile:

As for the paint, be careful that it does no damage to clothing because if your neighbour touches the tape and then touches their clothes and damages them, you could be liable to pay for damages, and yes as daft as it sounds, it is true.

Any police officer will tell you that someone intent on doing mischief has an expectation that their mischief will not harm them. You are not allowed to intentionally set traps that could harm would be criminals. Yes you can defend yourself and your property BUT it has to be done AT THAT TIME.

I am sure there are ex police officers in here who will say when it comes to protecting your own property, the law is an ass.

My thoughts exactly, Barry.

Carol, I don’t know why someone would do that unless they were tampering with it. Anyway, as you say, it might be nothing to do with the usual neighbour. You need a camera for evidence and proof.

I would also get it checked immediately for safety reasons. You can’t mess with gas.

That was my thought too. I don’t recall us ever having a gas meter inside our house. A reference:

“Gas meters located inside are normally found inside a kitchen (it will normally be concealed in a cupboard) or a hallway, and will most likely be inside a mounted meter cupboard or a meter box. If you live inside a flat, then there will be multiple gas meters located in a single place, such as a shared utility room.”

Maybe Carol can elaborate.

Thanks for the info that the meter should be on my property & not facing a public street.

RE: The location of my gas meter.

The side of my house/garden runs the entire length of a lane.

The meter is fixed to my property wall but it faces on to the lane where people are walking past it all the time.

This has given me hope. I will ring the utility company & request the meter be moved to a more private location.

Thanks everybody. I will post a picture later to show you the situation.

1 Like

You would just be inflaming the already bad vibes with your neighbour, tit for tat, which will probably escalate.

I can understand your frustration, as I can assure you I’ve had problems with neighbours in the past.

Before doing anything in haste, i would think very carefully about your line of action, especially putting paint/ stain, so it marks their hands, they could end up buying a tin themselves then throwing it all over your car, then what?

I suggest you go down the lawful route, Gas/ electric board, also the police, who will record your grievance, they will also give you advice.

I’m sure the gas board will install another door, after all it’s their property ,i believe?..with a key so you can lock it…

Those gas meter doors are a darn nuisance, I have seen many on my YouTube channels, where the doors are hanging off, my question is,why don’t you notify the gas board to fix the problem?

My sons electric meter is on the outside of his house, open planned, anyone could tamper with it.

I see many on the outside of people’s property, because many houses here, the front is open planed ,

New builds are the same…the ones that are open planned.

I am so sorry that you are being targeted this way it must be constant source of worry to you. The advice here is good contact the utility company and it would not hurt to cc your MP either .

1 Like

Hi Carol :slight_smile: I agree with those who say contact British gas.
There should be a customer service number on their website

I would say you are elderly with a disabled husband and are very worried someone because someone is tampering with your gas cupboard and can they suggest any course of action.

The onus is then on them to help you out or risk bad publicity.

1 Like

Good idea,Meg…she could even contact her local paper ,if she got nowhere with the gas board…they would not appreciate bad publicity…so am sure would rectify the situation she’s in.