I Hope l Am Not Being Blasphemous Here... But

I was thinking and … Isn’t Easter about Jesus?
So why don’t shops sell chocolate Jesus’s rather than chocolate eggs, or chocolate bunnies?

What are your views on this? Or, am l being blasphemous?

Eggs are supposed to be about new life I think.

3 Likes

Because Easter (Eostre) was a Pagan festival hijacked by the early Christians to con/persuade non-Christians that their beliefs were actually Christian beliefs in another form.

Eostre was the Anglo-Saxon goddess of fertility, and festivals were carried out in her name. Eggs symbolise rebirth, and rabbits symbolise fertility (for obvious reasons)

8 Likes

LQ and Judd, So you’re both saying Easter isn’t about Jesus dying on the cross on Good Friday and then resurrecting on Easter Sunday, has anything to do with Jesus?

Are Hot Cross Buns pagan too, even though they have a cross on them?

That’s what I’m saying, at least. Jesus wasn’t born on 25th December, either - more like the middle of June. Xmas is yet more pagan festivals during the Winter solstice stolen by Christians - Yuletide, celebrated by Germanic peoples (Anglo-Saxons again), Saturnalia (Romans), and Hanukkah (Jews).

ETA. Hot cross buns are a Christian confection, made to signify the end of Lent, and originally had a cross burned into them.

3 Likes

I suppose it used to be, but things change. :102:

It isn’t about anything to me; neither chocolate eggs nor Jesus have a role in my life. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Wow Herbal, Easter without a chocolate egg must be hard to bear?

1 Like

Effing Christians Grrrrr

1 Like

Herbal Life … another scam.

3 Likes

Exactly and, as you added, they nicked Yule as well and tried to change it into Christmas.

I believe that fewer people are remaining as Christians as time goes on, certainly as devout Christians, yet almost everyone still enjoys public holidays at Christmas and Easter regardless and many of them never even give a thought to the religious origins.

I’m not sure of my figures, but I’d hazard a guess that there are now more non-Christians in this country than Christians, yet I’m sure that the majority of us are not going to give up our Christmas and Easter!

1 Like

I have read that it isn’t just the pagan festival of Easter that was hi-jacked by Christians but even the hot cross bun was not originally about the cross of Jesus - Saxons made a cross in the bread offered to the pagan goddess Eostre, which was thought to be a symbol of the rebirth of the world after winter, and the four quarters represented the four seasons.

As for “the resurrection”, there are several previous pagan myths about crosses and resurrections (an ancient Mesopotamian Goddess, Innana, was hung naked on a stake, and was subsequently resurrected and ascended from the underworld)

3 Likes

Not anymore: I lost my faith in chocolate eggs when my kids grew up. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

d00d, Errrmm, l hate to tell you this but Christmas was approx 4 months ago. Have you been hibernating? ,

Whoops, l must go to Spec Savers! :laughing:

:sob: :sob: :sob:

1 Like

JBR, How do you sleep at night knowing you’ve just nicked some holidays from law abiding Christians?
Have you no guilt?

Imagine trading Christmas Day gluttony for dancing around a fire in the forest, maybe semi naked and drinking and eating produce steeped in preserve and alcohol to keep it edible through the winter.

Give me a few lashing with the holly birch too and I’m in! :slightly_smiling_face::crazy_face::joy:

1 Like

Rhian, l’ll have some of that once Octopus send me my electric blanket! There will be ‘hook up’, won’t there? Otherwise, my blanket might be able to be converted to gas!! :laughing:

1 Like

“Rhian, l’ll have some of that once Octopus send me my electric blanket! There will be ‘hook up’, won’t there? Otherwise, my blanket might be able to be converted to gas!! :laughing:

More likely festooned with leafy evergreens to make it more insulating!
:grin:

1 Like

I sleep perfectly soundly, thanks you Angel.
Angel, you must realise that those Christian types can still have their versions of Yule and Eostre. However, Angel, I should hope that they don’t partake of non-Christian things like Yule trees and Eostre eggs, Angel.

1 Like

Isn’t Easter about the birth of the Easter bunny?

2 Likes