I Had Never Heard Of The Kelpies, Until Recently

It is only recently that l have heard of ‘The Kelpies’.
A friend told me she and her husband toured Scotland and whilst there, she travelled on her own to see, The Kelpies that are located between Falkirk and Grangemouth, standing next to a new extension to the Forth and Clyde Canal.
They look magnificent and l’d love to see them one day.

3 Likes

First for me as well. Never heard of them but they look spectacular! :grinning:

1 Like

Don’t they! Danny.
They are 30 metres high (100ft)

I never heard of them but, they’re relatively new.
The sculptures were designed by sculptor Andy Scott and were completed in October 2013
So now I don’t feel so ignorant.
Great job to the sculptor.

1 Like

Danny, Thank You for the added info. I did wonder how old they were and who the sculptor was.

1 Like

Scotland has a lot to offer especially considering such a small population.

3 Likes

I’ve seen them on telly a few times - usually on those canal trip or railways journey-type programmes.

2 Likes

I regularly used to visit Grangemouth oil refinery so I saw the Kelpies quite a few times.

1 Like

The Kelpies are deep from Scottish legends and being one side of my family were from Portobello nr Edinburgh, I knew all about them. I’ve delved into some links and found this history for you:-
The Kelpie, Mythical Scottish Water Horse (historic-uk.com)

2 Likes

I have heard of them I love them

3 Likes

They look brilliant, don’t they? Never seen them but I’d love to :+1:

2 Likes

My aunt lives in Falkirk so lives fairly close to them. She sent me a beautiful calendar with them on last year. They are massive and very beautiful.

2 Likes

Did you know they are models of 2 real Clydesdales, Baron and Duke.
I have seen them, my daughter and I went to visit and have a go in the canal boat on the Falkirk Wheel.
They are so huge and majestic, you need to see them for real before you understand.

7 Likes

Thanks for the link.
I’d seen pictures before, but didn’t know the whole story behind them.
They’re magnificent!
And I’m jealous you saw them, and the Falkirk Wheel!

1 Like

I’ve seen lots of pictures of them. Toggers that camp out in the Highlands to capture the perfect sunrise, and all that, like to stop by …

There’re 1000s of interesting compositions on Flickr.

1 Like

Ha. My first thought when I saw the title of the thread was of the Australian sheep dog.
You learn something every day as the saying goes…

1 Like

I was asked why Scotsmen wear kilts? Surely they know without having to be told. Seems any answer would cause upset. More than likely I will be banned anyway now. Oh we’ll never mind it’s been fun

Deleted.

1 Like