I Can’t Stop Laughing. According To This Chart, l Am Upper-Class! What Are You?

Well as long as the person you say the word to knows what you mean by it, does it matter? Besides, “curry” is just a generic word we tend to use for Indian food. If we know much about the various types of Indian, which I’m afraid I don’t, we will probably use a more precise description. If in India they have their own word for shepherd’s pie, I wouldn’t find that upsetting.

It wouldn’t bother me either, I was just providing a bit of useless information for anybody who was interested. And if you had read the article the lady who wrote it, it didn’t bother her in the end either.

The only thing that bothers me regarding food is if I’ve spent hours cooking an evening meal and somebody describes it as ‘tea’ instead of ‘dinner’.

2 Likes

If a meal is a substantial main meal of the day, I’d call it dinner, whatever time I’m eating it - although when I was a kid, we always used to call our meal after school/work “tea” - sometimes it was proper tea, with a bit of bread & jam, scones and cake -
Sometimes, if we’d had no proper dinner in the middle of the day, we had a more substantial “high tea” with a bit of protein - maybe some cheese on toast or a slice of pie with pickles or ham & eggs or egg & chips - we still used the name “tea” for that kind of high tea - and it was always served with a bread & butter and a pot of tea!

I’m not sure if there is any set rules about “Lunch”, “tea” and “dinner” - what we call meals and the times we eat them have been a bit of a moveable feast over the centuries - here’s another bit of “useless” information

Gosh I’d have that for breakfast never mind teadinnersupper!

I looked at that chart yesterday and thought we must be middle class because we relate to some of things on both sides. To start with, we don’t have a doorbell, we have a brass door knocker.

The pie was in addition to all the other things on the table!
I remember when we had “high tea” at my Aunt’s house, she would often serve a home made pork pie with hard-boiled eggs and pickles, in addition to a delicious selection of her home-made cakes, scones, bread, and delicious jams. She also made delicious Yorkshire curd tarts, which were my favourite.
She didn’t have much money but she was a fantastic cook and we never left the table hungry at my Aunt’s house.

1 Like

I’ve not had a pork pie in years :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Yorkshire curd tarts…are they custard? I love them!

Yorkshire curd tarts are not like custard tarts, they have a firmer texture, although they do contain eggs. The other main ingredients is fresh curds - that stuff that little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet to eat. When my Aunt made curd tarts, it was easy to buy fresh curds from the local shops - it used to be quite cheap, as it was surplus to requirements from the dairies making cheese.
They also contain dried fruit - currants and / or raisins.

2 Likes

Oooh thanks for that. I’m going to see if I can find a recipe - they look lovely! :+1:

Absolutely ridiculous, but absolutely true!

What amuses me is watching someone holding their knife like a pen.
It is incorrect, of course, but the most amusing thing is that they think it’s ‘posh’!

How ironic. Their thinking they are posh, while all the while you are looking down on them. :face_with_monocle:

:slight_smile: ……….

To be honest I’ve always been a bit of a toff, I only come on here to see how you little people live… :rofl:

This seems a good moment to drop in that classic old sketch
with John Cleese and the Two Ronnies.

I know my place

2 Likes

I’m so delighted!!!

I always thought I was a scruffbag, living in a not too clean house in need of decorating with threadbare carpets and worn out furniture, now I discover I am posh. Should I put a notification in the local paper?

Well if being mucky is the posh qualification…count me out I’ll stay common as muck…ha ha!.. bit of a contradiction there :slight_smile:

The difference between scruffy rich and scruffy poor is a farm with a hundred acres

Where there’s muck there’s brass

Oh dear, does that mean I’m not posh after all, do I have to go back to being a scruffbag in a shabby house?