I Am Devastated... l Have Just Found One Of My Standard Roses, Snapped In Half!

Last year, from a garden centre, l bought two standard roses. They were quite small and had an abundance of small red roses. I didn’t plant them in the garden. I kept them in large pots.
Today, it is extremely windy and l have found one of them snapped in half, half way down the long stem they are grafted to.
I was thinking of taping the two together and hope for a miracle

Sorry, l was unable to finish writing my opening post because it’s just so difficult, due to my last sentence being hidden by the line of the thread square and l can’t scroll up away from it.

I just wondered if anyone has any advice, or is my standard rose doomed? Thank You.

That’s a shame, Art. I love my roses too, but don’t have standards.

I think that if you have lost it anyway now, there is no harm trying to mend it before you throw it away. Nothing more to lose, but possibly making it better, so I’d give it a chance.

Have a look at this advice, and see if you fancy giving it a try.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/propagation/grafting/reattaching-broken-stems.htm

Thank You, Mups.
I have now taped the rose stem with electrical tape, supported it, shaved it shortish and watered it well.
All l can do now is pray and hope for the best.

I can’t bear to see a living plant die. I do everything l can to save them.

Hope it works for you, don’t forget to let us know in the months to come. :+1:

1 Like

Mups, It’s in my ‘hospital’ in the Special Care Unit.
I will report back, if there’s any change.

1 Like

Have you considered using a plaster cast to hold it together? Once set, you could even paint it to make it look natural, like perhaps a wasps nest.

1 Like

Melgal, l just need a miracle. I hate it when plants die.

Talking of wasp nests. I keep seeing massive bumble bees flying out of holes in my lawn.

Hi Art, I hope you are keeping well and staying safe. Yes there are certainly more bumble bees around at the moment than I remember from past years. When I walk the dogs either in the garden or out on the common, they pop up from the grass which really wind up the dogs…and me cos I don’t want any of them to grab one and possibly get stung. Good luck with the rose by the way.

1 Like

Hi EZ, Thank You for your caring words. I am great, Thank You. I hope you and your family are too.

My rose tree looks ok at the moment. When l discovered it bent over and broken, it was still attached by one tiny sliver of the wood. Trying to do everything one-handed as l released it from its ties, it came apart completely.
If only, l had been able to keep that sliver intact, l might have been more optimistic.

The bees are massive and l have found two in the house crawling about!

You could be seeing Mining bees this time of year the young from last year emerge and the Queens are tunnelling for the next years brood they will disperse shortly. Look them up fascinating creatures they are solitary not hive bees.

2 Likes

Kazz, l thought this as the bee flies out on its own with no followers.
Between them and the squirrels making holes, my lawn is looking a mess!!

2 Likes

For some reason or other, today I know how it feels :wink:

1 Like

@Artangel spoke today to a neighbour of mine who is a "rose man " ie he loves them told him of your predicament and he said try repair with tree bandage or tree protector he uses it when grafting. He buys his from Ama zon

2 Likes

Does that bandage have plant related chemicals in it?

1 Like

Kazz, l’m wondering, by the time l receive the tape, will it be too late for my rose?

Probably, thats my guess, Art. I think breaks like that are difficult enough to mend, without a delay in repairs as well.
Did you remember to splint each side of the break with before wrapping it?

1 Like

Mups, l saw that after l’d taped it. It is attached to a cane on the outside.
I noticed tonight that a couple of leaves are starting to look floppy.

Think you aill find it needed a splint each side, but probably too late now.

You’ve nothing to lose by trying though, as it would nave been a gonna if you hadnt tried, so worth giving it a chance.

1 Like

The advice l took from somewhere on the Internet did not mention using splints. I did see that advice after l’d taped it up with the electrical tape. It does seem well secured together.

I am more mad with myself that l didn’t move it but l never expected a wind to be so strong to snap it in half.