I Am Concerned About Animal Extinction

And you don’t watch enough Foxy .
Open you mind and learn something new.
The Amazon rainforest is popularly called the ‘lungs of the planet earth’ because its vegetation continuously recycles carbon dioxide into oxygen. approximately 20-25 % of all the oxygen used on the planet .

1 Like

Plus the timber coming from the nordic region is mainly Pine
pine trees have needles not leaves, we need more broad leaved trees
but i dont think they grow as fast as pine trees do…

1 Like

They certainly don’t… when I ramble in areas of Sussex where there’s a dense profusion of conifers it’s striking that virtually nothing is growing at ground level.

2 Likes

I read once that very little grows beneath Pine Trees because of the acidic soil, complete shade and the root system of pine trees is very dense so very little can get a foothold.

That’s true.We have pine trees in the front and nothing grows except the really tough stuff,geraniums,agapanthus and pittosporum.

1 Like

:018: shoo :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Absolutely. Man is the greediest most selfish species on earth. We take advantage of every other animal on earth. Our world would do so much better without us.

1 Like

but how would anyone know?..lol
the main reason nowt grows beneath those trees is the earth is covered by a lot of discarded leaves that blank out all daylight, but on the bright side if your potting plants on a budget then that same soil is amazing… the soil beneath a hawthorn bush is superb…

Well I don’t know about you Chelsea but I’m glad I was here despite the planet perhaps being better off without me. I don’t think you can tar all men with the same brush (or woman) most people just want to raise a family, look after their neighbourhood, have a good job and go away on holiday occasionally. We have all fallen into the trap of wanting stuff. A House and all the extras that come with it, pretty decorated kitchens, bathrooms etc, all full of the latest kit and kept warm in the winter and cool in the summer, with a nice car parked on the drive (two cats on the lawn…sorry I was getting carried away again)
We have just become too expensive to keep, while people at one side of the world breed like rabbits and live in poverty, people on the other side of the world breed (but it is slowing) and have everything. but there are plans afoot to correct the problem.

There is no need to be concerned about animal extinction though because all of us on this forum will become extinct long before all the animals will.

I cant understand why the WWF dont buy a series of Islands for animals under pressure, i mean tigers were down to the hundreds i believe but now India has well over 3000, most in the Bangladesh region where the ganges enters the sea, the area known as the Sunderbans, and at one time tigers were taking between 50-60 people a year… now Elephants kill anywhere between 100 to sometimes 500 a year… whereas Hippos attack and often kill between 500 to 3000 every year… its alright saying we are encroaching on their habitat but humans have been in these areas for thousands of years also… i mean i know we feelthat farmers should not be killing tigers, but tigers are basically nomads and their range is hundreds of miles, now these farmers have always had to protect their families, at one time they only had spears, but are now more sophisticated… so whereas the tigers used to win perhaps 10-1 meaning they usually got up to ten humans before they were culled, now i think it 1-0 to the humans… we think we are lucky because we have no preditors [animal preditors] but its not about luck… we wiped out all our preditors… europe still has a full range of preditors, bears wolves ect. Russia even had tigers… but it needs a world wide control, and in my opinion a lot of WWF islands…

1 Like

Great idea.
Australia released 11 critically endangered Bettongs, 6 Southern Hairy Nosed Wombats and 11 Rock Wallabies onto Wedge Island, 200 kms off the South Australian coast between 1975 and 1983.
Today their numbers have increased to over 1500 Bettongs, 300 Wombats and more than 200 Wallabies.
Wedge Island is only 10 sq kms.

But nature being what it is if we released a tiger onto that island…lol…
this is the problem carnivores have to eat meat…
god alone knows how Noah managed on that ark…lol
the Indian leopards natural food is Antelope… but they have just about dissapeared, so being one of the more adaptable animals the leopards it seems
have developed a taste for dogs… lol… now there is no shortage of dogs, friends of mine who live not to far from me cage their dogs every night, if not they become leopard food…
i take my hat off to the aussies, i hope they have lots of islands
the UK has thousands of uninhabted islands
it seems the folk that cross the English channel in rubber boats are endangered,
I wonder…lol

1 Like

by the way they have just reintroduced the Cheetah into india , i think they released about eight as a trial, so watch this space

another little snippet, if you see an Indian coin, there are three big cats on one side, most folks think they are three tigers, they are in fact lions [yes they have lions there too about 400 i think] on the coin there is one cat looking at you and one looking left and the third one looking right, and kids in school are taught there are four of them there … the fourth one is looking back…

1 Like

No need to become concerned about animal extinction? It’s that very attitude that destroys our planet. Look at the common bee. Without the bee there would be far less pollination which is crucial for our survival

Bees are part of the biodiversity on which we all depend for our survival. They provide high-quality food—honey, royal jelly and pollen — and other products such as beeswax, propolis and honey bee venom.

Each species that is lost triggers the loss of other species within its ecosystem. Humans depend on healthy ecosystems to purify our environment. Without healthy forests, grasslands, rivers, oceans and other ecosystems, we will not have clean air, water, or land.

According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s Red List of Threatened Species, over 26,500 species are in danger of extinction. This includes 40 percent of amphibians, 34 percent of conifers, 33 percent of reef-building corals, 25 percent of mammals and 14 percent of birds. In the U.S., over 1,600 species are listed as threatened or endangered.

Why become concerned about animal and plant extinction? Without an eco balance, all life perishes

I personally find it incredibly sad that our species are ruining it for every other living thing on our planet

1 Like

So what should we do Chelsea?

Here’s some positive news I stumbled on.

Could start by making our gardens more friendly for frogs hedgehogs birds bees and butterflies .
Only needs a few changes .
Water for the birds.
A tiny pond as small as an upside down dustbin lid sunk in the ground.
Bee and butterfly friendly flowers .
Maybe let the daisy’s and clover grow in the lawn .
Bee house ,nest boxes.
A small hole cut in the bottom of the fence allowing hedgehogs to wander,

Just a couple of the above can make a difference.

3 Likes

All done except daisy’s and clover in the lawn and bee house. I have a large bird bath at the end of the garden and hedgehogs are regular visitors to the garden. Plenty of bee attracting flowers, but the lawn is my pride and joy, so no weeds.

3 Likes

Amazing Mr Fox :+1:t2:

3 Likes

You are surprising at times in very good ways
This is heartwarming.
I’m so proud of you :pray::two_hearts:

2 Likes