I Am Concerned About Animal Extinction

People ask me why do I worry about whether native animals disappear.
My response is that critters have just as much right to survival as we do. We do not have the right to make them extinct. Most species have been on the earth for hundreds of thousands or millions of years, they belong here.
For some ridiculous reason we rate the “success” of a nation by using economic parameters or that other ridiculous measure, Sporting Prowess.
Many years ago I read a PETA article in which it spoke of Mahatma (Great Soul)Mohandas Ghandi and his philosophy of nonviolence and the sanctity of life.
He stated, “To my mind, I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.”
He also stated “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

Almost 30 years ago Australia signed up to the Convention on Biological Diversity which commits us to preventing the extinction of known threatened species. We also said we would support the 2015 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals which commits us to,
“Take urgent and significant action to reduce the degradation of natural habitats, halt the loss of biodiversity and, by 2020, protect and prevent the extinction of threatened species.”.
So we have done all the talking about what we promise to do, let us now show that we stands by what we promise.

3 Likes

I think Buddhists.Every morning say sorry for all the living creatures they may have inadvertently killed the day before.
The Australian coat of arms has actually got an animal on it which they shoot and eat.I don’t know whether any other country has that ?

1 Like

Sorry, but isn’t that all a bit of washy washy handwringing? Loads of animals have become extinct not all because of man, take a look at Pandas, one diet, bamboo which provides very little in the way of nutrition so it has to consume loads.
It hasn’t adapted and cannot adapt in time to survive so it’s next on the extinction list.
All the weeping and wailing isn’t going to bring back them back

2 Likes

A quick search brings up Danes eat Swans, Saudis eat Camels.

1 Like

No, but mankind can stop destroying the habitats of animals. Give them a better chance to survive.

2 Likes

And how can that be achieved? Reduce the human race so there is less demand for land and food? Isn’t there a law of nature that says says something about the survival of the fittest?

2 Likes

actually Vlad the panda is also a carnivore and will eat meat given the chance…

Bret, what if there weren’t that many previous years, really?

See you opened with “I am”, lose the “M” and that’s AI. :icon_wink:

I think is well known that many animal species have declined the world over because of human encroachment.(I have to start work now. Return in 5 hours)

2 Likes

Don’t doubt it, it’s the timescale that is suspect.

Really, I didn’t know that, thanks though.

i used to winter in the south of India, and used to brag to the locals that we had more tigers in Doncaster than they had in Tamil Nadu…lol… we have a country park where a group of tigers that were recued from starving in Romania are actually breeding i think there are about sixteen of them…

We are not Gods Bretrick, the world is a massive place and I’m afraid it’s out of our hands in the most part. Obviously we can help a few animals stave off extinction for a while, but you need a large percentage of the world to be onside, and unfortunately with poverty and greed most are not, and animal extinction is way down most peoples list of priorities. It’s only the well off and comfortable who feel guilty about the damage their life style is doing to the planet, so they throw a few bob at it. And as the human race starts struggling for sources of energy and food the problem will get even worse.

2 Likes

Don’t you know that it’s not fashionable to eat meat these days Crabby…

There’s not much doubt about that.There’s just one Koala in the local reserve at the moment.I’ve lost count of all the trees and bush land that’s gone to make way for housing and roads in the 16 years I’ve been here.

2 Likes

Yes a lot are gone now , take myself for example, I am unique and only one in existence. Once I have gone the is nothing to replace, with. :rofl::rofl:. What a sad loss for you all

2 Likes

But we’ll always have the Rhinos. :grinning:

Horny bugger!

I detest animals being hunted to extinction by humans. :rage: There’s no need for it at all. The world was made for all of us, not just some of us, they have as much right to live here as we do.

1 Like