I Am Concerned About Animal Extinction

the world was made for us all but only man pays rent?

1 Like

My feeling exactly. Why must we dominate or destroy those that were here way before we came onto the scene.

Humans suffer from greed, some a lot more than others. Hence the rent and every other way to screw you.

Oh course they belong here, otherwise we would not have evolved from our earlier ancestors. Also who would disagree that we are still evolving into something todayā€™s humans would hardly recognise.

1 Like

I donā€™t think that most animal extinction is intentional. Okay, some animals have been hunted to extinction, but the main cause of animal extinction is the loss of habitat through farming and mineral mining. The hunt for lithium and cobalt is causing major problems in some parts of the world. And not just for the wildlife and plants. Far more damage than drilling for oil ever did, and most of that was in the oceans. Barring accidents of course.

How can you tell a Brazilian farmer not to tear down the jungle on his land to graze his cattle or plant something more lucrative. The beef and nuts probably ends up on a supermarket shelf here anyway, supply and demand! Was a time when all Yorkshire and Nottingham were covered in forests, now the land is covered in houses and warehouses. So who is going to tell those Brazilian farmers not to do the same?

1 Like

Anyone who has any sense I should think .
The Rainforest is the lungs of the world and IMO we should rent large expanses of it from Brazil for the benefit of mankind .

Much of the Brazilian rainforest has been destroyed not by Brazilian farmers but by huge foriegn companies who own it .
Ie The Vesteys ( cousins of the king )
The family behind Dewhurst Butchers among other things .
They own or owned vast acres of rainforest which they cut down and made into cattle ranches .
They also owned huge stations in Australia but I belive this has been returned to the Aborigines.

1 Like

One of the worlds rarest animals

1 Like

Vlad I am pleased to report that the Giant Panda is no longer on the endangered list .You are right in saying they only eat bamboo but that is not the only reason why their numbers declined . Pandas are solitary animals and the female panda is only receptive to conception for 24 hours once a year ! So if she doesnā€™t meet Mr Right ( and they are picky) in this short period thatā€™s it for another year .
But the Chinese have cracked this .
They use AI and it has been very successful they breed pandas in captivity and loan them out to zoos .
All pandas are Chinese citizens and are only ever loaned to zoos .

https://www.pandasinternational.org/program-areas-2/captive-breeding-program/

2 Likes

Rubbish! The Brazilian rain forest might be the lungs of Brazil, but it certainly isnā€™t the lungs of the world. You watch too much David Attenborough.

And they donā€™t even mention Sweden, Norway and Finland, where all our wood for building comes from. Just have a walk along Hull docks, and there are hundreds of tons of Finish timber waiting for despatch.

If it turns out like the rabbits and camels in Australia, stand by for the world to be taken over by giant pandasā€¦
:open_mouth:

1 Like

And you donā€™t watch enough Foxy .
Open you mind and learn something new.
The Amazon rainforest is popularly called the ā€˜lungs of the planet earthā€™ because its vegetation continuously recycles carbon dioxide into oxygen. approximately 20-25 % of all the oxygen used on the planet .

1 Like

Plus the timber coming from the nordic region is mainly Pine
pine trees have needles not leaves, we need more broad leaved trees
but i dont think they grow as fast as pine trees doā€¦

1 Like

They certainly donā€™tā€¦ when I ramble in areas of Sussex where thereā€™s a dense profusion of conifers itā€™s striking that virtually nothing is growing at ground level.

2 Likes

I read once that very little grows beneath Pine Trees because of the acidic soil, complete shade and the root system of pine trees is very dense so very little can get a foothold.

Thatā€™s true.We have pine trees in the front and nothing grows except the really tough stuff,geraniums,agapanthus and pittosporum.

1 Like

:018: shoo :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Absolutely. Man is the greediest most selfish species on earth. We take advantage of every other animal on earth. Our world would do so much better without us.

1 Like

but how would anyone know?..lol
the main reason nowt grows beneath those trees is the earth is covered by a lot of discarded leaves that blank out all daylight, but on the bright side if your potting plants on a budget then that same soil is amazingā€¦ the soil beneath a hawthorn bush is superbā€¦

Well I donā€™t know about you Chelsea but Iā€™m glad I was here despite the planet perhaps being better off without me. I donā€™t think you can tar all men with the same brush (or woman) most people just want to raise a family, look after their neighbourhood, have a good job and go away on holiday occasionally. We have all fallen into the trap of wanting stuff. A House and all the extras that come with it, pretty decorated kitchens, bathrooms etc, all full of the latest kit and kept warm in the winter and cool in the summer, with a nice car parked on the drive (two cats on the lawnā€¦sorry I was getting carried away again)
We have just become too expensive to keep, while people at one side of the world breed like rabbits and live in poverty, people on the other side of the world breed (but it is slowing) and have everything. but there are plans afoot to correct the problem.

There is no need to be concerned about animal extinction though because all of us on this forum will become extinct long before all the animals will.

I cant understand why the WWF dont buy a series of Islands for animals under pressure, i mean tigers were down to the hundreds i believe but now India has well over 3000, most in the Bangladesh region where the ganges enters the sea, the area known as the Sunderbans, and at one time tigers were taking between 50-60 people a yearā€¦ now Elephants kill anywhere between 100 to sometimes 500 a yearā€¦ whereas Hippos attack and often kill between 500 to 3000 every yearā€¦ its alright saying we are encroaching on their habitat but humans have been in these areas for thousands of years alsoā€¦ i mean i know we feelthat farmers should not be killing tigers, but tigers are basically nomads and their range is hundreds of miles, now these farmers have always had to protect their families, at one time they only had spears, but are now more sophisticatedā€¦ so whereas the tigers used to win perhaps 10-1 meaning they usually got up to ten humans before they were culled, now i think it 1-0 to the humansā€¦ we think we are lucky because we have no preditors [animal preditors] but its not about luckā€¦ we wiped out all our preditorsā€¦ europe still has a full range of preditors, bears wolves ect. Russia even had tigersā€¦ but it needs a world wide control, and in my opinion a lot of WWF islandsā€¦

1 Like