How well do you know your country's history?

Very condensed History of Australia in 100 words

Aborigines arrive 60,000 years ago, had place to themselves until 1770, Captain Cook lands, claims it for Britain.
Britain’s unwanted arrival in Van Dieman’s Land, 1833, eventually become the stock from which most Original Aussies stem.
Things bugger up, Gold discovered at Bathurst 1851, world comes here. Bugger
Commonwealth of Australia comes into being in 1901. Off to war in 1914 and 1939.
Our National Treasure, Vegemite produced in 1923. The Coat Hanger open to traffic in 1932.
Holden Car makes appearance in 1948. Opera House opens, 1973
America’s cup, ours in 1983. 200 years old in 1988.
Nothing more worth mentioning.

1 Like

You neglected to mentioned that the Brits killed most of the inhabitants of Tasmania.

1 Like

Imported cats that killed off the native fauna and rabbits that ate everything .

1 Like

Restricted myself to 100 words.

Many destructive pests. Just a few - Cats, Rabbits, Cane Toads, Foxes, Carp,

1 Like

So, the Abo’s were there for 60000 years and they didn’t even invent trousers?

They didn’t need any .
We have too many possessions

2 Likes

The didgeridoo deserves a mention.

1 Like

Well, talk about it, if you feel the need.

1 Like

Ridgie didge it does. Can you enlighten us? :slightly_smiling_face:

I know some of it, not sure I want to know much more.

1 Like

The ABORIGINAL people knew more important stuff,like how to look after their land.

2 Likes

That’s a strange concept to the gentlemen of blighty, guys don’t “walk about” trouserless, well maybe they do on “Private” land!

But whatabout north of the border?

Donald pushed the envelope, but not in Blighty.

Very condensed History of Britain

5,000 years BC Iberians came and taught us foragers how to farm.
40 AD The Romans came and went.
1600 Shakespeare’s globe opens, but burns down 13 year later when a cannon stage prop using real gunpowder sets fire to the thatched roof.
1606 the Dutch lay claim to east coast Terra Australis. Us Brits thought if we can find the east coast, claim it and the whole thing ours, and send our convicts there. haha
1902 Marmite was on the shelves.
1959 the Mini was on our roads, followed by the Maxi, the beginning of the end of the British car industry.

1 Like

1970s

Being allowed to have a sense of humour.

dc99b545efbc81c559ef002137fece3b
cd7ad9a14b535ee2256c7a2890f827f1

1 Like

As for my knowledge of my country’s history, I wouldn’t say I’m an expert but definitely know enough to hold a convo about it.

2 Likes

Wales was invaded by Edward 1 in 12hundred and something,named his son Prince of Wales and built castles for the tourists.Wales are still fighting back though and beat them at rugby quite often.

1 Like

Referendum - The Indigenous Voice to ozzie parliament to be affirmed this year and Oz given back to the Indigenous owners?? cattle stations handed back!!

1 Like

I think this country has more history than a lot of others, at least that was what I was told.

1 Like