How Well Can You Swim?

Do we have any strong swimmers here?

Did you ever compete?

I read one in four children can’t swim…can your grandchildren/ children swim?

I taught myself to swim…I’m not a strong swimmer though…my sons can’t swim…

Am really good at the depth! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

What does that mean? ST.

I know nothing about swimming.

I sink !

4 Likes

:joy::rofl::sweat_smile:…I taught myself to do the breast stroke…

For years I used to swim several times a week. I once swam in the sea with friends to a small Island when in Crete. That was hard work. We didn’t really think about how dangerous that might be at at the time.

I don’t dive. I don’t like deep water. I see both choices as rational and sensible.

Funny story - we used to go swimming after school at the local leisure centre. Just a few friends. One night we were going underwater with our goggles on and wow there was a man who was swimming and as he swam his swimming trunks were revealing his meat and 2 veg! I think we were only 14/15 and we were OMG looking in horrified fascination (well he wasn’t particularly attractive with his beer belly and comb over)! :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m not a strong swimmer, more a head out of the water breast stroke swimmer

But I am totally confident in the water and can happily float, tread water, just hang around in it. I’ve never understood how people sink

And I’m a cold water sea swimmer, all year round, and we’re a tough bunch

2 Likes

I’ve resisted making a comment about that :innocent:
I’m with Silver Tabby, I swim as well as a brick :joy:

2 Likes

Hey you forgot to mention my “ dossier”…shame on you!,:rofl::joy::sweat_smile:

I like to lull you into a false sense of security Pauline :wink:

Since I’ve moved down here I’ve met so many adults who can’t swim and I think it’s strange, like not being able to walk

Back in the 1960s in London, swimming lesson every week was compulsory and you had to have a really good excuse to get out of it

Those of those who can’t swim, weren’t you taught in school?

1 Like

I swim like a brick and for one good reason I have said before so no need to repeat again

2 Likes

I was never taught to swim at school, neither were my 3 sons…

There is a man at our local pool who fascinated me. He is incredibly hair all over and when he swims the hair sweeps back in flow patterns, it’s like swimming behind a seal! :seal: :seal::seal::seal:

1 Like

No, we weren’t taught at school. After I’d left school my old junior school had a pool put in. Swimming was then taught so I missed out. Not too worried because I’m not keen on swimming anyway :+1:

3 Likes

I used to look after two small boys, they could both swim, we used to visit a hotel swimming pool, that’s where I taught myself to do the breast stroke.

2 Likes

I was taught to swim at age 6. I do fairly well when at the lake, swimming to a dock, or at the beach, but I can’t say I enjoy it. My mother and grandmother couldn’t swim at all, I thought it so odd. Both of my children were enrolled in swimming lessons the summer before they started school, and they both enjoy the water.

2 Likes

I do think the compulsory school swimming lessons made a difference. We could all swim by the time we went to big school

They used to take us on the coach to the public baths. I can remember when they built the new baths at Swiss Cottage, we thought it was incredible

2 Likes

Not very well I know my limitations, I don’t go any where I feel I might struggle.

1 Like

I can’t swim, can’t even float, I sink.
My kids learnt, I took them to swimming lessons & they got those at school as well. OH could swim too, but none of us wanted to.

1 Like