How old are you?

I am well Surfmom how are you ?
I hope you will post some of your amazing paintings while you are here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I must have missed this thread. Voted!

Easy to guesstimate approximately by reading threads.

Old enough to know better,too old to care.

1 Like

I like to think that I’m pretty much on the ball as far as self awareness is concerned.

However I have been manifesting some Meldrewistic tendencies of late.

th-2046493052

I’m sure it’s not going to become an issue.

1 Like

I also missed this last year. Got myself into the late 70s. Phew!! :hot_face:

Yes, the Meldrew syndrome . Three years ago I was seriously hill in hospital to the point that I might not pull through. But I did. The problem is aphasia. I have have a problem finding the words when I can’t express them, particularly in conversation. Frustration is a totally inadequate description.

I’m sorry to read that Besoeker, I’m afraid that any reply on my part is going to be woefully inadequate.

Thank you Chilboot. I’m hanging in there. We walk quite a lot, we stroll with the dog and various practical things. And I enjoy photography, particularly with nature. Today I mowed the lawn - about an hour and a half. Not so bad for a 76 year old…

2 Likes

Imagine that there had never been such a thing as numbers, how old would you be?

You wouldn’t know.

1 Like

That’s right. In terms of age, I just refuse to live a digital life!

1 Like

Digital in what sense? We use and have used digits for millennia all our lives. Your monthly your monthly remuneration or whatever is paid in digits. Or an ATM - that uses digital.

I don’t measure my age in digits…I measure my age in capabilities, strengths, mental focus, memory and agility, etc… I don’t care how digital the rest of the world, or my environment, becomes. I can do too many things far too well to ever measure my life with numbers.

1 Like

We do both. You express the fingers on your hands as digits.

“Imagine that there had never been such a thing as numbers…”

It was just an exercise to illustrate that I don’t measure my age in numbers…only in remaining capabilities.

Age, yes. And there are many other topics that don’t need digits. In my case things like music, photography for example. But you can’t ignore digital to the exclusion of it. How would you measure a steel tape?

It was just a simple, thought-provoking exercise for folks’ imagination, to illustrate how we habitually feel that we can measure, or rate, everything by the use of numbers, or that we must. We don’t need to have “an age”, but we still have numbers for them, anyway. There are tribes barely seen, or heard from, in which there is no such thing as a number, or numbers.

I doubt many do just use numbers. My field is electrical engineering so I ought to be competent in terms of digital subjects. Numbers. Most of us, myslf included, have far more interests.

In our own lives and minds, we need not judge how old we are by how long ago were were born. This was just an imagination exercise, engineered to see how free people can be from having to ever judge their living time by numbers. If numbers (as we know them, in all cases other than in our own ages) are ignored, more people would feel less old, because it’s usually that we judge our future worth from knowing the number of how many years we’ve been alive since birth. Of course, there’s a downside to it…no more birthday parties!