How long have you had your Drivers License?

Hubs was driving down to Angouleme for our due eye tests,You have to go to a Ophthalmologist if your test is older than 3 years…
Hit this stretch of road and the speed limit suddenly goes down because of a few houses…110 to 90 normally but no oh no this one was 80 so Hubs got done and then 10 mins later he got caught out again,two hundred Euros and points for 6 months…was a Minor offence as he was just over the 10% allowed but the fine is steep…

2 Likes

What happened was, in the next village up, where their main street went into open country in our direction, preparations were made to develop the green belt land extending that village boundary by about a quarter of a mile into open country, a couple of service roads were constructed, but no houses were ever built, but the council extended the 30mph to the new theoretical boundary line, this stretch of road previously being national speed limit. There are no new dangers on this stretch of road (the service roads aren’t even connected to the highway) so it has become a nice little earner.

3 Likes

I was 19,in London, 1986, third attempt :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

For forty years. I passed at the first attempt yet I shouldn’t have. Driving instructions were a farce which was proven when I almost hit a pedestrian at a crossing because I’d never been exposed to such a (standard) situation.

3 Likes

No tickets for anything but some of that is luck rather than care.

3 Likes

I would never have passed me…I clipped the curb I jerket the gears I was a wreak and gobsmacked when he said PASSED!
I had 4 proper driving lessons and bad habits as a friend fellow/work mate from the Forestry Commission Days…Owen N…was a bit of a hippy kinda of a fellow…Taught me in his Dormobiles …he did not actually instruct me as such just said slow down a bit to the left no a bit to the right…had a Colum gear stick and good brakes!

1 Like

Anyone done a Speed Awareness Course?

About three years ago I got caught doing 33mph in a 30mph. Did the course via “MS Teams”, it’s like Skype or Zoom, avoided the point off licence and the fine. But you have to pay for the pleasure, costing roughly the same as the fine.

30 speed limits are now 20, so I got a car with a Speed Limiter … set to 20mph.

I’ve leant to ignore the car behind, tho rarely do I find they just don’t realise why I going so pathetically slow.

2 Likes

Any reason why he did pass you?
Officially, I had eight driving lessons in a small town with hardly any traffic (no cars back then) but they boiled down to 4-5 real ones. The reason was that economising on petrol was the top priority since there was a scarcity. People’s lives obviously didn’t count.

1 Like

I really was glad to have passed…His only comment was about the gear changing…lot of nervousness going on at that time…same when I walked down the Aisle in Beddington Church my knees were knocking I swear it… :zipper_mouth_face:

why does a phone call always have to be bad news…had another and now had my limit

2 Likes

Yes very nice huge earners…sneeky though…

1 Like

Got my drivers license when I was 16 (1976). Back then, in Mississippi, a car license and a motorcycle were the same thing, so when I moved to Texas, in 1990, they had to give me a motorcycle license. In 1983 I got my international license Germany.
In 1999, I got my Class A license, with double and triple trailers, tanker and Hazardous Material.

2 Likes

That was a very good year for us. :slightly_smiling_face:

Very true Bretrick,and if i remember correctly,i passed in the month of June.

1 Like

I got mine in 1963. back then we had little red books for driving licences with sticky label inside when it was renewed

6 Likes

Since 1973, licence as clean as the day it was issued

2 Likes

Sams here with a clean licence

1 Like

42 years

2 Likes

In 1987

2 Likes

I’ve never had a full motorbike licence. I rode a Philips Gadabout moped and then an Ambassador with a 250cc 2T Villiers engine, both on L plates. I took a test on the Ambassador and failed because the spark plug blew out of one of the cylinders during the test. The bike was pretty hopeless when that happened, so I failed.

This was shortly before I was due to become a fully-fledged TV engineer and I had to pass a car test in order to drive a company van. Concentrated on that and passed the driving test 2nd time.

It’s been a regret that I didn’t have a motorbike licence. I might have bought a bike at some time in my life if I had …just never got around to trying again.

2 Likes

passed my car test in 1964, motorbike pass in 1970 still drive and ride currently have 3 points

1 Like