How long could you go without electronic devices?

It doesn’t seem like that long ago, there were no cell phones, no smartphones, no computers, no tablets.

Now it’s all different. Electronic gadgets are ubiquitous. They seem so essential now.

When my smartphone broke last year, people consoled me like I had lost a loved one.

How long could you go without a computer, phone or any other electronic device to connect with other people?

For me it was essential for work for phone and email. Now I still use email and forums for chat. I rarely use a phone.

1 Like

We have had land line phones for years. I guess you don’t mean those, only the new cell mobile ones.
As I haven’t got one I wouldn’t miss it.
Would I miss my home PC, probably as I’m using it a lot.
I would miss my camera, if I didn’t have one, the times I’ve said when not taking it at a good moment ‘Oh why didn’t I bring my camera’.

1 Like

Now that the QR code checkins are no longer required I could probably go several hours without my phone, though I would miss my shopping/to do list and several phone calls

1 Like

I have a smart phone. It’s a hand me down iphone from my daughter.
I don’t use it in every day life. It gets taken with me only if I’m out on my own or if we have gone into town so we know when to meet up.
I’m mainly use my iPad. I use that for all my web surfing and buying. It also stores my music and photos
The way the world runs today I couldn’t give up the iPad. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’d miss my iPhone. I use it all the time - I don’t go anywhere without it. When at home I connect with the outside world on my laptop, but the phone’s where I connect with family using WhatsApp, although I do have WhatsApp on my laptop too, so I could use that!
I rarely use my iPad. In fact, because I so rarely use it I think I’ve killed the battery as I don’t keep it charged regularly. Now when I do want to use it, it loses charge rapidly - it will appear to have, say, 35% charge and as soon as I start using it, the battery dies.
Oh and I’d miss my Apple watch too. I’ve come to rely on that for so much: checking my heart rate, how much exercise I’ve done, how many steps etc. Also I use it to pay for everything, so much so that I had to stop and think recently what my bank card pin number was, as it was well over a year since I’d used it!

1 Like

You could tell me what it is as a back up :clown_face:

1 Like

Haha, nice try Chillie :lol:

Did it nearly work :joy:

1 Like

I bust my iPad charger the other day so had a day without iPad just as well I am addicted to the thing .
Got another charger now my third in a month must be more careful .

3 Likes

I’ll give you three guesses. No, make that one, I reckon that’s all you’ll need :rofl:

Take that as a no then. :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t think I possess a wind up watch that still works, so it would be very difficult to accurately measure how long I could go without electronic devices.

So less than a day then? People could tell the passage of time before watches.

Yes, but we expect precision these days.

To some extent, yes. My household has TV’s, Radio’s, Computer’s and Mobile Phones in addition to the fixed landline telephone. Our two mobiles are non-smart as we do not need or want those thoroughly irritating smartphones that are so detrimental to contented living. We could do without most of them except for the mobiles as we consider those are essential due to all the public call boxes being removed. Mobiles are also essential at home in case of a house power failure when the house phones stop working due to the base station loosing power.

I always thought I wasn’t fussed about electronic devices, but the relief when I finally got the internet back after moving, was worthy of a resounding cheer (to my shame). :frowning_face:

1 Like

So many things are internet reliant these days, many of us cannot do without it.
I’ve just applied for new annual mobile phone provision for my wife and myself and the only way to join the new SIM card supplier (1p Mobile) is via an on-line application form.

1 Like

This is a personal bugbear of mine! Online forms…what if you choose not to have the internet, or perhaps have issues (mental or physical) which prevent you from using the internet?! Why must we all be bludgeoned into doing things online just because its easier for them at the top :frowning_face:

1 Like

To my way of thinking, it’s only because its easier for the provider and to hell with the customer. I also refuse to equip ourselves with a highly intrusive smart phone each. Those requiring us to display a squiggly code to enter or pay via phone obviously do not want us to enter and spend🤬