How long could you go without electronic devices?

I’ve been addicted to computers and the internet since 1998, a bit of a late starter when it comes to smart phones, got my first constantly connected to the internet Galaxy last summer: amazing, the internet and all that goes with it, like satnav, in your pocket.

We could live without these things if we had to. Go back to crosswords in the daily paper, whatever. But only if we really had to.

WE could, because we are old enough to remember life pre-internet, but if the worst happened and it all went out like a light, the younger people would be pawing the air desperate for something to scroll or swipe! :joy:

(apologies to anyone young who may be reading this. I didn’t mean you personally)

2 Likes

It’s ok I didn’t take it personal :joy:

3 Likes

Hmm, I am trying to reply to this and the best I can do is that you are only as young as the device you hold.

Which sounds so wrong on many different levels.

But you know what I mean!

1 Like

I have one word for you…….dongle :clown_face:

3 Likes

Is that to do with the angle of the dangle? :wink::point_right::grin:

1 Like

Just thinking back our frist phone line was on a shared service. To get dial tone one had to push a button on the phone

1 Like

Weren’t those party lines great? Always some chatty bint on t’other party phone when ya needed to make a call🤬

I wonder how that worked…I do vaguely recall party lines from when I was very young (pre school) and being confused about folk chatting away when I lifted the phone up. :thinking:

1 Like

Phones in the house blimy can’t remember when we first had one. Still remember having to go round the corner to use the phone box. :telephone_receiver:

2 Likes

To make a call, or collect all the solicitor’s numbers :wink:

1 Like

I know…and you don’t even see them anymore (the public phone boxes I mean) They have all been turned into novelty coffee shops or libraries :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Why would I need a lawyer :grin:

1 Like

After your wife found the 'business ’ cards. . :grin:

1 Like

Some of the phone boxes have been repurposed. This one is in a shopping centre in Bath.

2 Likes

Crikey how old do you think I am :joy:

2 Likes

My mobile phone only gets switched on when I want to make a phone call. So I could live perfectly OK without a mobile phone.

But I use the internet a lot & my hobby is amateur radio & I could not live a single day without a radio etc. I have been playing with radios since the early 70’s when as a young teenager I started trying to hear all of those exotic place names that were on the radio dials. I am now a licenced radio amateur & talk to others, but also listen, to anything & everything. From Airband to shipping, to satellites, to store security, to farmers, to international broadcasters If they use radios, then I’ll listen.

1 Like

Same here plus reading the daily papers. I needed to switch on our mobile this morning to receive a pass code - the battery had gone flat it’s been that long since I last switched it on :lol:

1 Like

I use my phone constantly - for most everthing but as a phone:

Telling time
Alarm
Map directions while driving (so much safer)
Weather
Texts
Calendar (appointments and reminders)
Communication with doctors
Calculator
Measuring device
Language translater
Making appointments and reservations
Ordering medication

Our generation is fortunate to know how to navigate the world without our electronics, but wow, is it ever more convenient to have them!

1 Like

I do pretty much all of that from my computer. The mad directions ore on the sat nav.

1 Like