How long before Humans become extinct?

I’ll posit, maybe never.
Even with the inevitable death of the Sun, humans will most likely gone out into interstellar space and colonised other planets.

I think we’ll blow ourselves up.

5 Likes

It will be millions if not billions of years before the sun finally expands to such a size that it will gobble up our solar system. Meanwhile, life for humans is going to get uncomfortable, and no amount of buggering about with the composition of our atmosphere is going to alter that whether you believe it’s down to human interference or not. Don’t underestimate nature…
Bombs, the like of we have never seen before, might get flung about the world, but they will not destroy all of mankind, and while ever there are small pockets of humans spread about we will rise again. Humans are very adaptable and the most intelligent species on this planet.

1 Like

I’ll put a tenner on 23 years.

1 Like

I’ll double that if that occurs :rofl:

2 Likes

Would that be the Meek, Foxy?

You might have to collect that off my daughter if I take it on…

Only if the stong let them spitty…

What if the strong are obliterated?

How will anyone tell the difference? The strong come in all shapes and sizes, and religions…

The eye in the sky will know.

3 Likes

The dinosaurs were around for something like 200 million years so that is a target to aim for. Human have only here for 200,000 years so we are just starting off.

The planet still has something like 7 billion years before the sun dies so let’s party before the tectonic plates all collide and form a super continent which will wipe out all life.

1 Like

Humans live life in the fast lane so they get to the destination quicker…Dinosaurs lived quite boring uneventful lives so lasted a long time…Just as a matter of fact though…Hasn’t there been some controversy about the accuracy of carbon dating…? If that’s true, what we thought we knew turns out to be all borracks!

Can’t be doing 7 billion more years of graft, That’s a Fact :grin:

1 Like

I doubt it matters, carbon dating only works for the past 50,000 years (something like that) and the dinosaurs were extinct about 65 million years ago, so any controversy about carbon dating is just hearsay as far as they are concerned.

1 Like

It’s a sobering thought though that when we’re extinct it’ll be a helluva long time, if ever, for another species to come along who destorys the planet quite like we have.

It’s one of those silly sounding, but quite astute questions isn’t it …
How do we know there were no other intelligent, advanced civilisations before mankind?
All the oil , precious metals and coal were still in the ground for us to plunder.

2 Likes

And the new chemicals we have deposited :grin:

1 Like

Gods yes … we mustn’t forget them. And all the buried nuclear waste.
We’ve leaving a right mess aren’t we.

1 Like

And a lot of fuel.

(My emphasis)

I am not convinced that is true, we have certainly changed the planet but in another generation the human population will start to decline as birth rate falls below the replacement rate 2.1 per female.

Even if we consider humans as having been around a mere 200,000 years (ish) that is a very short period of time. Humans and their ancestors have nearly gone extinct several times in the past during events like the ice ages and the other close calls humans have had - for example the Great Famine and the Black Death in the middle ages reduced Europe’s population by at least a half’.

As a specie we have survived and hopefully will survive our next crisis and those that follow.

1 Like

I’d like to think so … and we certainly seem innovative and for every disaster caused by an invention or scientific advance it’d be nice if scientifc advances got us out of the hole we’ve dug for ourselves.

Perhaps I’m just too negative … we just seem to be stacking the odds against ourselves too much.